Oakland @ Ensworth

lilcoach7

I could point out the kickoff that never was.

I agree, I still don't understand that. The refs were bad, but they were bad for both teams. If we had lost instead of you, you wouldn't say that though

I don't think you will deny that was THE game changing factor. EHS gets to continue on offense, OHS has to put their defense back out and be content with 9 first half plays. Absolutely not fair, win or lose. I do think it speaks volumes for OHS's defense that they gave up 6 points on 3 1st and goals in the first half. It was still the talk of our stands even when we were ahead. If EHS had lost would you have said "If only we could have kicked that one off a second time?"

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to congradulate both schools:

1. For having the guts to schedule the game.

2. For the coaching staffs of both schools knowing that "Iron sharpens Iron" better competition makes both teams better.

3. For both coaching staffs and players being able to come back when they were down and "Ole Mo" against. Neither team lost it's poise and did dumb stuff, they stayed cool and keep their heads in the game.

4. Neither team lost, because of what the coaches and players learned about themselves that will pay back BIG as the season goes along. When this season come to an end remember this game!

As an old retired coach this was one of the most enjoyable games I have watched in a long time. I can not congraduate both school, coaching staffs, and players enough!

Oakland surprised me in this one. I thought they might be able to win it all. But in the rutherford county region they will be lucky to make the playoffs. it is still early but they mad alot of costly mistakes. Ensworth should have won this game by 14 points instead of taking it into overtime. Oakland will definetly have some trouble this year when they have to run into Smyrna, Blackman And Siegel. Oakland secondary seems extremely weak. I though Ensworth should have exploided it more.

Congrat to Ensworth! There is some Very Impressive looking athletes on that team. I look forward to the match up at Smyrna....but we both got some work to do before then.

Don't count Oakland out yet. That's just silly!! They played fairly poor and had a few bad breaks go against them and still had a chance to win against a great team with very good talent. Oakland will be right in the thick of things at the end of it all.

I want to congradulate both schools:

1. For having the guts to schedule the game.

2. For the coaching staffs of both schools knowing that "Iron sharpens Iron" better competition makes both teams better.

3. For both coaching staffs and players being able to come back when they were down and "Ole Mo" against. Neither team lost it's poise and did dumb stuff, they stayed cool and keep their heads in the game.

4. Neither team lost, because of what the coaches and players learned about themselves that will pay back BIG as the season goes along. When this season come to an end remember this game!

As an old retired coach this was one of the most enjoyable games I have watched in a long time. I can not congraduate both school, coaching staffs, and players enough!

Good points

if im not mistaken, didnt oakland just have a coach that got caught recruiting a couple weeks ago. none of you were talking about recruiting on this board until you got beat. i believe oakland is a good team, and i hope they win it all. you just should not talk so much trash before the game, its just football.

I would like for you to prove that. Another poster acted as if Ensworth was any other high school, when in fact, they have the best things money can buy and since he wanted to take pot shots, i retorted. None of us have made excuses, Ensworth won, we lost. What fun is following your football team if you cant have a little faith and fun doing it?

fake handoff option? you need to get off the site...i was for ensworth, but thats called a veer, and its probably one of the oldest plays in the book. every coach in the world has that in the playbook somewhere...

My point isn't that it's an incredible play, my point is that our coaches called it. You could have Bill Belichick's playbook, but know when to call each play and how to work with a team is what makes the difference. Ricky Bowers is probably one of the best coaches in the state.

I could point out the kickoff that never was.

I agree, I still don't understand that. The refs were bad, but they were bad for both teams. If we had lost instead of you, you wouldn't say that though

Do you really think EHS found out about the delay at 6:55 like OHS did?

Yes, I do because I was in the press box next to the coaching staff who call the plays, when the tv people came in and told them that they decided to push back the game.

Yeah, must be nice to have an automatic trip to the playoffs.

MBA, BA, Baylor, Mcallie, and MUS are not exactly terrible teams

Ensworth can recruit the whole State and in fact with their money the whole South....Oakland has one area to draw from. Big, big difference....great game between two good teams...one bought, the other from their neighborhood.

I already addressed this. Ensworth is the only private school in the nation. if you look at the demographics of the players on the team, they're all just as close as any of the other students. Every time a D2 school plays, correction, beats a D1 school that argument always comes up. Towards Chattanooga, Bayor and Mcallie pick up players, and in memphis, MUS and Christian Brothers fight for players. MBA, BA and any other private school in the midstate, of which there are many, all wish to improve their athletic teams. But don't forget, ensworth still only has 200 boys to make up all its teams year round. They don't have the luxury of focusing just on football or just on basketball. Most people have to play multiple sports throughout the year just so we can have teams. Some, no, most of those football players are triple sport athletes.

Ensworth didn't have to play Oakland, and oakland didn't have to play Ensworth. Both teams scheduled the game looking for early competition. Ensworth tries to seek out the best teams and play them when they can. We play Symrna is a couple of weeks. I didn't say, nor do I think that this is the upset of the year. My point was that from the way you were talking about ensworth being scared and oakland's power backs running up the middle, you made it an upset. You have a good d-line and a fairly good team that stands a good chance of repeating and state champs. You should be happy you got to play a game that doesn't even matter as far as playoffs are concerned and played it against such great competition. Ensworth is just a better team.

Just send Tim McGraw down to Mt. Pleasant, and Ensworth has a solid team, right?

Oakland surprised me in this one. I thought they might be able to win it all. But in the rutherford county region they will be lucky to make the playoffs. it is still early but they mad alot of costly mistakes. Ensworth should have won this game by 14 points instead of taking it into overtime. Oakland will definetly have some trouble this year when they have to run into Smyrna, Blackman And Siegel. Oakland secondary seems extremely weak. I though Ensworth should have exploided it more.

Ensworth may very well be the best team all year with the best set of athletes Oakland will go up against. Thomas and his staff will not let Oakland slide when the worked so hard to redeem the program last season. You can point out the should haves, but point is it was a great ball game bewteen 2 really good teams, easy for Smyrna and Blackman to look good when they played vastly inferior teams.

OP said "easy for Smyrna and Blackman to look good when they played vastly inferior teams."

Smyrna Didn't look good. Not to say they aren't good but they didn't look good last week.

Well the point was made. Oakland decide to challenge itself while Other teams were content for a win, I guess the haters are just looking for any kind of hole in the armor

I wanted to sit back and reflect on this game before I posted my thoughts. First of all, congrats to Ensworth. You have an impressive team and what you have built in 3 short years is incredible. Your facilities are beautiful, your passion amazing, great hospitality,great-looking athletes and the atmosphere was electric with energy last night. Coach Bowers is a class act and a legend. Always great to witness some of his magic in person. What a back and forth pendulum swing. I also want to address after speaking to some Oakland folk IN THE KNOW that the decision not to play Thursday came from the TV station . No one was AFRAID to play each other, had they been they never would have scheduled this game in the first place. Good grief.....drop it.

Now onto the game . I was very disappointed in our offense during the first half. It looked like the Oakland lack of production of old. I was shaking my head especially knowing this game was going to be on TV yds and we had like 3 yds of total O ! Credit Ensworth's D, but we also shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers. And once again, the DEFENSE saved the day. Coach White and his boys did a heck of a job keeping us in the game and not giving up. We could have been 3 TDS down had it not been for them. Our depth and conditioning really paid off b/c I KNOW the kids had to have been tired as much as they were on the field. Our special teams also need some work. They cost us as well. Ensworth had some really crucial flags and they really need to work on those mistakes. They could have finished us off in regulation had it not been for the penalties all in a row and some of our defensive players REALLY stepping up. Can't say enough good things about our D line and SMACKadoo. He was laying the wood on and #10 is probably still sporting a headache today from it. POWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! I am proud of my boys. They just need to put it together with 4 Q's of solid play .

I was impressed with Ensworth's QB, #10, #74 Richardson ( he is a MAN!) #18, and #3. Ensworth's lack of depth really seemed to show in the 3rd Q when OHS started clicking on the switch and had the ball almost all of that Quarter. Thank goodness, because our D needed to have a chance to breathe. Glad that Tee came through when it counted to make up for problems earlier.

I can't believe how the momentum went back and forth all night. This game was a heartbreaker for us, but may have been the best thing to ever happen to us. We will remember how it feels to lose and not want to experience it again. Thank goodness it wasn't a game within our region.

I wanted to sit back and reflect on this game before I posted my thoughts. First of all, congrats to Ensworth. You have an impressive team and what you have built in 3 short years is incredible. Your facilities are beautiful, your passion amazing, great hospitality,great-looking athletes and the atmosphere was electric with energy last night. Coach Bowers is a class act and a legend. Always great to witness some of his magic in person. What a back and forth pendulum swing. I also want to address after speaking to some Oakland folk IN THE KNOW that the decision not to play Thursday came from the TV station . No one was AFRAID to play each other, had they been they never would have scheduled this game in the first place. Good grief.....drop it.

Now onto the game . I was very disappointed in our offense during the first half. It looked like the Oakland lack of production of old. I was shaking my head especially knowing this game was going to be on TV yds and we had like 3 yds of total O ! Credit Ensworth's D, but we also shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers. And once again, the DEFENSE saved the day. Coach White and his boys did a heck of a job keeping us in the game and not giving up. We could have been 3 TDS down had it not been for them. Our depth and conditioning really paid off b/c I KNOW the kids had to have been tired as much as they were on the field. Our special teams also need some work. They cost us as well. Ensworth had some really crucial flags and they really need to work on those mistakes. They could have finished us off in regulation had it not been for the penalties all in a row and some of our defensive players REALLY stepping up. Can't say enough good things about our D line and SMACKadoo. He was laying the wood on and #10 is probably still sporting a headache today from it. POWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! I am proud of my boys. They just need to put it together with 4 Q's of solid play .

I was impressed with Ensworth's QB, #10, #74 Richardson ( he is a MAN!) #18, and #3. Ensworth's lack of depth really seemed to show in the 3rd Q when OHS started clicking on the switch and had the ball almost all of that Quarter. Thank goodness, because our D needed to have a chance to breathe. Glad that Tee came through when it counted to make up for problems earlier.

I can't believe how the momentum went back and forth all night. This game was a heartbreaker for us, but may have been the best thing to ever happen to us. We will remember how it feels to lose and not want to experience it again. Thank goodness it wasn't a game within our region.

Like always, I couldnt have said it better myself.........

Forgot to say best of luck to Ensworth in the rest of your season. You have a heck of a football program and I look forward to playing you again next yr. I hope that you find Oakland's hospitality equal to yours.

Also wanted to say how proud I am of Zack Barnes from Oakland. I always knew you had greatness in you, kid.....and you proved it last night more than once.