09-10 best freshmen

sbl0702

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really got to see a lot of Maelyn Cutshaw for South Greene Tonight against Morristown East. She was the first one off the bench and played much of the game. She did a great job and looked like she will fit in just fine.

starting point for East ....Jade Hale is frosh also..........where does Maelyn play in summer

I'm guessing at the Larry Neil Ricker camp. I'm just a side lines fan. Maelyn and the other two Freshman who played some (Javan Wilhoit and Konner Donahue) all played Elementary together, I think they all attend the same camp.

We really got to see a lot of Maelyn Cutshaw for South Greene Tonight against Morristown East. She was the first one off the bench and played much of the game. She did a great job and looked like she will fit in just fine.

starting point for East ....Jade Hale is frosh also..........where does Maelyn play in summer

Congrats to Jade. Good luck!

I agree with how good Haley Meeks can be. Being that I'm old school it reminds me of how a Larry Bird or Magic Johnson played. Her passing skills and court awareness of where the ball should be passed for her team to score easy buckets in transition is phenominal. The skills that she's got can't be taught. It's something that all players need, but few players obtain. So with her leading Grundy and the talent she has around her the skies are the limit.

Justice Swett is good, but she is not an exceptional point guard. She'll play 2 or 3 for a loaded Ensworth Team. Ensworth has a killer point guard (can't remember her name). Justice is a great defender - long arms and fairly big for her age.

I'm not convinced that Justice Swett is a better player than Derica Wyatt at FRA. With my money, i'd have to go with Derica Wyatt.

From what I understand, Team Pride has consistently begged Wyatt to be on that team. She opted to play elsewhere and didn't get the publicity. But she is every bit the player and then some. She is a pure shooter, who when hot, can be unconscious shooting 3's. When someone tries to defend her from the 3, she'll slash you to death.

Having said that, I agree with an earlier poster who said there would be a lot of impact freshman this year. Swett will definitely be in that group.

I agree with part of your view of Swett. While it's hard to expect too much of a freshman on the varsity level, people always seem to overestimate the impact these players have due to their success at AAU nationals or against middle schoolers. Swett has nice potential, but not as a point guard. She was eaten up yesterday by Clarksville guards, some of which are only 1 year older. Carpenter had to bring it up the court. Her speed and ballhandling are average for high school standards. She posted up well and rebounded fine. She will get a lot better under coach Smith as her body matures and gets in better shape. Clarksville has one of the best teams around and was up 20 at the half and 24 after 3. I wouldn't say Ensworth is loaded. They'll do fine in DII but if Carpenter doesn't score 20+ it'll be hard to beat a good team. All of these freshmen will get better and that's all you want is for them to keep learning and improving. Let's not christen them as the next anything. Good luck to all.

I'm sure that overestimation may apply in some cases. But my folks in Grundy tell me that point guard Haley Meeks is spending single-digit minutes on the bench per game, is consistently notching double-doubles in points and assists and very nearly has notched two triple-doubles in points, assists and steals. I would say that would support any argument that a Freshman can make an immediate impact on a varsity team.

I'm sure that overestimation may apply in some cases. But my folks in Grundy tell me that point guard Haley Meeks is spending single-digit minutes on the bench per game, is consistently notching double-doubles in points and assists and very nearly has notched two triple-doubles in points, assists and steals. I would say that would support any argument that a Freshman can make an immediate impact on a varsity team.

There have been many Freshmen that have contributed over the years. I help coach at JPII and we started a freshman last year and start one this year and they both contributed. Smaller schools routinely have freshmen contribute and some are ready to contribute on the HS level. I want to know who, at the end of the year, did a great job. UT's Glory Johnson knocked us out of the state tournament when she was a freshman and had 28 pts and 14 reb in that tourney game so I've seen it first hand.

I don't know much about the rest of these ladies, but i do know Jackson Co. has some pretty darn good freshmen who came in this year. Marissa Hensleys younger sister Mackenzie Hensley is a 6' 2'' freshmen who is learning and improving every game and by her senior year could become unstoppable. But she isn't the only sibling of jackson co. stars. Their is also 5' 9'' Brooklyn Apple whose two older sisters are Deanna and Kristy Apple who won state championships. I can tell she is going to be like them and both of these girls you can tell have grown up in the basketball court. You also have Lindsay Goat and Haley Dodson who are coming up along with them. These to me are the best freshmen in TN. If not now just wait until there senior year cause you will be hearing those names again. It will be some amazing ball to watch for the next four years at jackson county high school with head coach Jim Brown.