District 11A

thenomad

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Everybody was so happy with Coach Miller while he was Slatten's assistant. Now that he is a head coach the table has turned. Too bad ya'll didn't listen cullypride!!

*Side note: With a below average Richland team scoring 55 on ya'll, I bet Cornersville could've scored 100 if they had wanted! Coach Landers is a classy guy than that.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Everybody was so happy with Coach Miller while he was Slatten's assistant. Now that he is a head coach the table has turned. Too bad ya'll didn't listen cullypride!!

We should have listened! Want him back?? :flower:

I want to make something VERY clear. I do not want miller to lose his job. I hear he is a very good teacher. But his heart is not in girls basketball at Culleoka and it shows. Just hope the girls don't lose their fight, if they havent already, because of it.

I couldn't comment on whose heart's in what. However, Miller seemed pretty passionate about what he was doing against Richland and have been told about other games. But as for fight, there isn't much coming from Culleoka. Culleoka hasn't had a good team since the 90's when Harris was on the sideline. If it's because of Miller, then why weren't they good with Muckle, a coach who knew the game. Why weren't they good when they had two 1000 point scorers in the early 2000's.

So who is the problem, Miller or the players? I don't doubt that Miller has his fault's. Would we take him back who knows. Neither girls' program seems to be doing too hot!

I couldn't comment on whose heart's in what. However, Miller seemed pretty passionate about what he was doing against Richland and have been told about other games. But as for fight, there isn't much coming from Culleoka. Culleoka hasn't had a good team since the 90's when Harris was on the sideline. If it's because of Miller, then why weren't they good with Muckle, a coach who knew the game. Why weren't they good when they had two 1000 point scorers in the early 2000's.

So who is the problem, Miller or the players? I don't doubt that Miller has his fault's. Would we take him back who knows. Neither girls' program seems to be doing too hot!

It's true that Culleoka hasn't had a good girls team in a decade or longer. Not even when they had two 1000 point scorers on the floor. They always have a good middle school team, even the girls in high school now were toward the top in middle school. There is talent roaming the halls at Culleoka. Now for whatever reason, when they get to high school they always fall off. Is it that the girls don't want to play anymore and are forced to be on the team by parents or is it lack of coaching??? Who knows. It very well could be the girls that are at fault. But in any sport if a team doesn't live up to expectations, the coach is usually the first to get the ax. Just ask Charlie Weis.

Wow!! I've been gone for a while due to sickness. I've missed quite a bit.

What exactly are the expectations for Culleoka, cullypride? As rhs#1fan mentioned, you are talking about team who has won more games the past two years than they have since the late 90's early 2000's.

As for games, we get cranked back up with solid matchups this week.

Columbia Academy v. Santa Fe - - in a close ballgame

Hampshire v. Cornersville - - 25+

Richland v. Mt. Pleasant - - 15+

Culleoka v. Decatur Heritage - - 10+

We should have listened! Want him back?? :)

I want to make something VERY clear. I do not want miller to lose his job. I hear he is a very good teacher. But his heart is not in girls basketball at Culleoka and it shows. Just hope the girls don't lose their fight, if they havent already, because of it.

Coach Miller cares about the girls basketball team. In case you didn't know he has a 7 month old baby boy at home now. He has other things that are more important than coaching a girls basketball team that has people that don't care about whether or not the team wins or loses or even works hard. The games and practices go deeper than the coach. If the girls would show that they have heart and desire and actually act like they want to be out on the court, things might actually change.

We should have listened! Want him back?? :)

Coach Miller cares about the girls basketball team. In case you didn't know he has a 7 month old baby boy at home now. He has other things that are more important than coaching a girls basketball team that has people that don't care about whether or not the team wins or loses or even works hard. The games and practices go deeper than the coach. If the girls would show that they have heart and desire and actually act like they want to be out on the court, things might actually change.

Nomad--I don't really know what expectations people have for Culleoka's girls. Can't be very high as the teams goal from the get go was to get 10 wins. Which is better than the past few years when the goal was 5. How can anybody believe in them when they don't?

3sportschs--People care or they wouldn't even show up for the girls game....Yes I did know he had a little boy at home. I can understand him being stretched in a couple different ways. Doesn't explain quitting on the girls multiple times last year thought. And I agree, it goes deeper than the coach on the floor. Once the game starts he can't go out there and run the plays or shoot. But what he can do are things like make substitutions when a girl turns the ball over in the back court WITH NO PRESS or for not hustling to get back on D. It's not all his fault but when it's a 27 year old man and 15 teenage girls....who is going to get the blame?

Wow!! I've been gone for a while due to sickness. I've missed quite a bit.

What exactly are the expectations for Culleoka, cullypride? As rhs#1fan mentioned, you are talking about team who has won more games the past two years than they have since the late 90's early 2000's.

As for games, we get cranked back up with solid matchups this week.

Columbia Academy v. Santa Fe - - in a close ballgame

Hampshire v. Cornersville - - 25+

Richland v. Mt. Pleasant - - 15+

Culleoka v. Decatur Heritage - - 10+

Santa Fe by 10

Cornersville by 26

Richland by 8

Decatur Heritage by 20

We should have listened! Want him back?? :popcorneater:

3sportschs, which camp or camps did the Culleoka girls attend in the off season last summer? I think the answer to this holds the key to the performance of most any high school team, boys or girls, and is an important bonding period between the coach and team, but more importantly, the team itself. Any girls or boys who have bad attitudes would be addressed at that time, and then either have their attitude changed or be run off the team before the season starts.

Also, which camps are planned for the team this summer? This will tell a lot about the performance, or lack thereof, of the team next year.

I don't care if a male coach of a girls or boys team has a new baby at home or not. But since we are on the topic of girls, does not Santa Fe's head girls coach have a brand new/few month old baby as well? I don't have the scores in front of me, but I would imagine the Santa Fe girls team wiped the floor up with the Culleoka girls and kicked them a good one, given that everyone else has according to the posts I've read here, even teams with 7 players total, all the while the Santa Fe coach has a brand new baby at home or in the stands. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Just stumbled across this interesting thread. There is no reason for a girls team at a school of 1,000 kids, or roughly 60 to 90 per class to get their butts handed to them by a team that has a school populace of 650, or in Hampshire's place 350 or whatever. Losing a lot doesn't have to be the only option. If the school were smaller, sure, you only can work with what you have. But that is not the case.

After reading more, it appears that the Culleoka Coach is a good teacher, and that's the most important thing. Also, apparently he is passionate, as he yells. That can be helpful if used right. If I were a parent/player/coach involved with the girls down there, I would look at the off season rather than the last loss. Do they go to camps? Do they play travel ball together? This is where winners and losers are made, assuming there is a reasonable talent pool, and apparently Culleoka should have that, given the populace of the school. If the coach, players, and parents all get on the same page, they should be very successful in the years to come. Practice in the off season. Camps in the off season. Parents who get involved maybe with travel or camps. If the coach, players and parents do not agree to moving forward, it will never happen.

BobBBucks, to answer your question about camps...no. They didn't go to a single camp over the summer nor did they practice very much. I don't think a single player played AAU or on any sort of travel team. With the coach not being dedicated enough to go to camps then I guess the girls didn't bother with trying to improve on their own.

They played better last night as they played Community to an 8 point game until late in the 4th. They didn't foul as much, got rebounds and didn't make stupid mistakes. The game was actually watchable. Hope they keep it up tonight.

BobBBucks, to answer your question about camps...no. They didn't go to a single camp over the summer nor did they practice very much. I don't think a single player played AAU or on any sort of travel team. With the coach not being dedicated enough to go to camps then I guess the girls didn't bother with trying to improve on their own.

cullypride this explains a lot. It will take a mind set from the parents, children and coach(current or replacement) to decide that they are talented enough to be winners. They will have to practice regularly in the summer and play in maybe one, but probably two camps. The travel play, though helpful, is not a must, if they play together in the summer and go to camps. Until pressure to synch the parents/players/coach ever happens, it likely won't. It can not be two of the three, it has to be all parties involved. If the coach doesn't make the effort, then he/she is the easiest to replace. It would be better if they all get along. Who knows what kind of coach a new coach might be? If the players and parents don't care, and I have a hunch they do, it will be more difficult. There is no reason a school the size of Culleoka shouldn't be a regular contender. Santa Fe is 2/3's the size, and wins.

cullypride this explains a lot. It will take a mind set from the parents, children and coach(current or replacement) to decide that they are talented enough to be winners. They will have to practice regularly in the summer and play in maybe one, but probably two camps. The travel play, though helpful, is not a must, if they play together in the summer and go to camps. Until pressure to synch the parents/players/coach ever happens, it likely won't. It can not be two of the three, it has to be all parties involved. If the coach doesn't tow the line, then he/she is the easiest to replace. If the players and parents don't care, and I have a hunch they do, it will be more difficult. There is no reason a school the size of Culleoka shouldn't be a regular contender. Santa Fe is 2/3's the size, and wins.

Agreed. They have the talent to contend, in grades 8 through 10 anyways. The program SHOULD turn around within a year or so. Just need someone that will spend their time to see that this happens. 2 pratices and 2 games over a 2 week break isn't gonna cut it.