MAPLEWOOD AT M.B.A. THIS WEEK

fleetwoodbrohm

I have slowly come to accept the fact over the years that, as long as the good ol' boy network is in play in local official associations (sometimes undermining concepts such as rules knowledge and interpretation) and age limits and physical standards don't play the role they maybe should play, officiating is always going to be an issue at the high school level.

With that said, I am realistic and fair enough to put biases and preferences aside to say that no team in last night's game can claim the other was more of a benefactor of poor officiating.

Judgment calls such as possession, whether on a shuttle pass or an onsides kick, are just that - judgment. Issues like forgetting the down count is a matter of inattention and not nearly as acceptable. MBA was placed in the wrong down situation last night - in any set of glasses - and while I am not sure reversing a down call is the best decision after another play has been made, the officials' own mistake - a mistake forever stored on film and 100% unquestionably detrimental to MBA - put themselves in a situation that should not have occurred.

I agree with about 95% of what you said, but if I remember correctly the officials changed the down to 3rd down where it should have been. Now, it took them over 15 minutes to fix it, but they did. Unless, you're referring to a different situation. I think MBA's coach even called a timeout because he was so ticked...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delightful to see the kids back. Welcome to the Algonquin Children's Table. I'm sure the MBA-Ensworth thread will be as painful as it was last year.

I'm not sure you can argue persecution here, Boski. You got a short field touchdown courtesy of the only person in North America who doesn't understand the shovel pass, and you're complaining about officiating. The penalty about which you're complaining is about as simple as it gets, if you follow the signals. The holding occurred during the play; they assessed the penalty. When the guy in the white hat raises his arm straight up the air, it means there was a dead ball foul, so it's assessed as well. Had the Maplewood penalty occurred during the play (a facemask call, for example), they would have offset. But it happened out of bounds, meaning the play was over. Pretty elementary stuff here.

Your team represented Maplewood and their community really well in a game that could have gone either way. You should try to do the same.

As to the taunting here from the MBA faithful...y'all know better.

many of you still dont get it and i didnt expect you to ..youre on the other side and thats how you "saw" the game ..and nothing i say will change anything from lastnight ..to me the game was over lastnight ..and it still is ..i said what i had to say and moved on ..i didnt blame this lose on the refs ...but they sure didnt help in many cases. im upset with the ref job true that kick was out of bounds ...the shovel pass at your 21 yrd line right in front of me sitting at the 25 yrd was caught ..he was hit and dropped it 2 maplewood players fell on the ball... the onside kick ..which many fans on the MBA side ..simply could not see ..i mean i didnt see a video tron up there...did you? ..the view on that side field was blocked by mba's huge team and staff along the sideline ..so if you were not sitting on the vistor side .. its very hard to see what really happened ..i saw it ...he was out ..its over next game ... its time to move on.. they may have not won the game ...but they did win some respect ... just to see that makes me feel good ..mba should celebrate ..they should feel real lucky .. and at least we all know there was a problem with the officiating.

for all you who think that the onside kick was out of bounds, go to this website, it has a picture of tanner clearly catching the ball in bounds with a few yards to spare.

http://footballonthehill.smugmug.com/Sp ... 8671_8urSq

To quote the venerable Homer Simpson, "Doh!".

Good stuff right there. I'm sure we'll hear something about a Photoshop conspiracy next.

for all you who think that the onside kick was out of bounds, go to this website, it has a picture of tanner clearly catching the ball in bounds with a few yards to spare.

Good stuff right there. I'm sure we'll hear something about a Photoshop conspiracy next.

Fie, balderdash,and cod's wallop! Boski, from a mere 60-75 yards away, has seen that it was out of bounds. Totally unaffected by personal bias or the parallax phenomenon, he's ruled it a poor call, and I'm with him. I admire his ability to determine the position of the ball in three dimensional space, particularly as it relates to an imaginary plane arising from the field. Rather than make fun of his view, we should all hope that he uses this gift for good, and not evil.

I think your sarcasm is very unseemly, RRR. I must say I'm disappointed.

One last comment on the "lost down" situation. It made a huge impact on the pace of the game, and there were 3 or 4 other instances where the officials huddled for what seemed like a long time to figure out a call. The "lost down" came at a critical point in the game. MBA came out in the 2nd half, went no huddle, pounded the rock and took 8 minutes off the clock. The Maplewood defense was on their heels at this point. The officials basically gave both teams another half-time when they lost track of the down. This had to benefit Maplewood's defense, giving them a chance to catch their wind and regroup.

Fie, balderdash,and cod's wallop! Boski, from a mere 60-75 yards away, has seen that it was out of bounds. Totally unaffected by personal bias or the parallax phenomenon, he's ruled it a poor call, and I'm with him. I admire his ability to determine the position of the ball in three dimensional space, particularly as it relates to an imaginary plane arising from the field. Rather than make fun of his view, we should all hope that he uses this gift for good, and not evil.

I think your sarcasm is very unseemly, RRR. I must say I'm disappointed.

i said i was done with this ..its must still hurt you to know that you just couldnt have pulled this game out with a lil help and ton of crying from your over rated coach... its ok the pain goes away ...for the record ..no where on that web page does it say that play was an onside kick .... tanner caught 22 his of 30 passes running right to that same sideline and that was one of them, as i said before ..when he caught the ball he was out of bounds and fell into a crowd of his own teammates ..final ... so take your sarcasm ..put it on some bread and jam it ...yeah jam it right there!! photoshop ..lol over priced over rated ...go with the free stuff ..like gimp 2.0 ... :rolleyes: .. now stop trying to drag me back to this stinky dII thread .. had i known this game was going to come with 45 min worth of extra crap i would have paid you guys an extra buck to get in.

*what a group of bums* opps did i type that out loud :thumb:

It's a pity that such a classy team as Maplewood is lumbered with supporters like you. Feel free to leave the D II thread at any time; I suspect both your village and your work release program miss you badly.

Heaven knows we won't.

And 1-1 is no disgrace, although Hillsboro lost again farly badly, so maybe beating them wasn't such a big deal.

goofy fans notwithstanding (on both sides), I'm very excited about Maplewood and Ralph Thompson. As I mentioned before he, as a player at Hillwood, defeated both MBA and FRHS, and therefore I'm sure as a coach is baffled by this whole public/private thing and why so many public schools are afraid to play private schools. His team again represented itself well and is definitely going places, hopefully again this year...he is a real gem in the metro ranks.

Anyways, once again, Daniel M. shows that he's one of the best in this business...Long season ahead but a nice win to start the year.

i said i was done with this ..its must still hurt you to know that you just couldnt have pulled this game out with a lil help and ton of crying from your over rated coach... its ok the pain goes away ...for the record ..no where on that web page does it say that play was and onside kick .... tanner caught 22 his of 30 passes running right to that same sideline and that was one of them as i said before ..when he caught the ball he was out of bounds and fell into a crowd of his own teammates ..final ... so take your sarcasm ..put on some bread and jam it ...yeah jam it right there!! photoshop ..lol over priced over rated ...go with the free stuff ..like gimp 2.0 ... :rolleyes:

boski, you do make me laugh (in a good way). I'm sorry you will not be around to read that.

Anyway, as one other point of consideration on the picture in question, for those still not sold after the argument above:

MBA #4 (recovering the ball) plays offense, not defense

MBA #20 plays defense, not offense

MBA #4 and #20 both play special teams

Kickoffs are considered special teams plays

And with that, I'm done with this game as well. No more comments about officials. No more comments about Photoshop. And let's surely hope that Maynord and Zed don't bring in the Gimp 2.0. Butch and Marsellus have already been through enough.

It's a pity that such a classy team as Maplewood is lumbered with supporters like you. Feel free to leave the D II thread at any time; I suspect both your village and your work release program miss you badly.

Heaven knows we won't.

And 1-1 is no disgrace, although Hillsboro lost again farly badly, so maybe beating them wasn't such a big deal.

there is a word for a guy like you ... but coacht t does not allow such words to be used on here.. so i wont but it rhymes with class.. and i agree 1-1 is not a disgrace not by any means ..and after next weeks game ..you will come to understand that 2 - 1 is not a disgrace either because thats where you will be sitting ... welcome to the club ...and most teams would pay to have a supporter like me ... :rolleyes: ..i think he is jealous!

one more thing...Hillsboro lost to a very good Whites Creek team, many more teams will lose to them before its over ..if anything they are the team im most worried about Maplewood playing. Hillsboro 29 more points under the table ..two weeks in a row ...wow ... .and MBA you're going to lose to a very good Ensworth team ..lol ...its coming back ...so enjoy you week of 2 - 0 ..as it will soon be over.