White Station (DD #2) vs Whitehaven (DD #4)

kwc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang TraderB ... you are going to just come out like that huh? This is where the rubber meets the road. Ok ... let's see ...

JodyJoe says ................. WS 34 WH 27

TraderB says ................. WS 20 WH 30

Spartansfan says ............ WS 21 WH 10

Screamingeagle09 says .... WS 28 WH 21

Blackhavensenator says ... WS 6 WH 30

Hmmm ... now that's 3 for WS and 2 for WH. You already know I'm going for WH in this one so with no further ado .......... drum roll please!

WS 21 WH 28

There you have it.

Yep--you know how it is, kwc--I wanted to see once and for all just what everybody REALLY thought about the ability of these 2 teams, and this matchup. There no better way of illustrating that, than by predicting a score.

It appears that the majority of respondents think that this is going to be a high-scoring affair. BlackhavenSenator is the only one predicting a blowout!

While I'm expecting a relatively close game, I absolutely would not be surprised to see a Whitehaven blow-out--similar to BlackhavenSenator's prediction. About the only thing that would SHOCK me is....is for White Station to actually defeat Whitehaven!

I'm sorry Jody Joe, SpartanFan and all you White Station faithful. No disrespect...I'm just calling them like I see them.

Hopefully we can carry some of the karma from todays ninth grade game into tommorrow night. Whitehaven ninth graders defeated a very tough bunch from MUS 14-7. The Tigers came back and scored two touchdowns in the second half to take the victory from a very strong MUS squad. Both of the teams can be assured continued success with the talent displayed on the field for both teams.

Since I have not seen Whitehaven this year I will not give a specific prediction on this one game; but, I will forecast how I feel two of the next three games will go. Here it is- Whitehaven will either go 1 and 1; beat WS and lose to Christian Brothers; or go 0 and 2, lose to both WS and CBHS- both teams of which Whitehaven is athletically superior to (faster, stronger, bigger, and deeper). This is based on Whitehaven's typical pool of players, past performances, and coaching. There will come a point in time when the coaching is proven to be not so bright; the playing on the field to be not so smart/prepared/desciplined; and the kicking game to be not good enough or just plain poor. I predict that we will see this at some point in the next few weeks. If this materializes the way that I think it will, this will be the typical two games and out (at best) of the play-offs Whitehaven team that they have consistently been for the last 10 or so years. If Whitehaven beats WS and CBHS, I predict that they will make a deep play-off run and be there at or near the very end.

Greetings from the Haven... Aint no way we won't score at least 3 TDs... 21-10 is absurd sir...

Whitehaven 30- WS-6

Respect Da Haven

:lol: I find 30-6 to be absurd as well....bottom line, your score could happen, my score could happen. And truth be told, I hope the both teams perform well. This should be competitive and fun for the players, entertaining for the fans. These are 'our' kids out here playing ball. I just love the feeling of anxiety building as the week goes by! These are the games that make us love this game! :shock:

Dang TraderB ... you are going to just come out like that huh? This is where the rubber meets the road. Ok ... let's see ...

JodyJoe says ................. WS 34 WH 27

TraderB says ................. WS 20 WH 30

Spartansfan says ............ WS 21 WH 10

Screamingeagle09 says .... WS 28 WH 21

Blackhavensenator says ... WS 6 WH 30

Hmmm ... now that's 3 for WS and 2 for WH. You already know I'm going for WH in this one so with no further ado .......... drum roll please!

WS 21 WH 28

There you have it.

Yep--you know how it is, kwc--I wanted to see once and for all just what everybody REALLY thought about the ability of these 2 teams, and this matchup. There no better way of illustrating that, than by predicting a score.

It appears that the majority of respondents think that this is going to be a high-scoring affair. BlackhavenSenator is the only one predicting a blowout!

While I'm expecting a relatively close game, I absolutely would not be surprised to see a Whitehaven blow-out--similar to BlackhavenSenator's prediction. About the only thing that would SHOCK me is....is for White Station to actually defeat Whitehaven!

I'm sorry Jody Joe, SpartanFan and all you White Station faithful. No disrespect...I'm just calling them like I see them.

TraderB, I've read your posts for the past 3 years here, and a couple on the CA website. While you have a colorful way to voice your opinion, I've never seen you do so in a disrespectful manner, and without some pretty good logic helping you form your opinion. You and kwc do a great job evaluating local games, and I really enjoy sharing a forum with you.

That being said...my son plays for WS. So while I can certainly see some things that need improvement, I have a 'tainted' perspective. :shock:

It is suppose to rain all day. I don't think the wet conditions give either team an advantage, but it will change the complexity of the game. Turnovers and mental mistakes can be magnified in these types of games. This will be interesting. I'm still going to the game ... even if it is raining. I'm not missing this one.

fourthree ... Whitehaven has Ridgeway in between White Station and Christian Brothers. Not that it changes your position or anything ... I just thought I'd let you know.

There will come a point in time when the coaching is proven to be not so bright;

You and I have a difference of opinion on this point. I've been following WHS for a while myself and I deffinately see a difference in this regard. Winning state championships and advancing deep into the playoffs is a learned thing. Case in point, Melrose High School. When Coach Thompson made his 3 consecutive runs to the tittle game ... he had seasons leading up to those where he, his coaching staff, and the players all had to learn together what it took to get there. When he left ... it fell off until coach Ingram arrived. The pride and legacy was there, but the coaching wasn't. Melrose ... again, had to learn as an entity ... they too ... lost in the 3rd round ... two years in a row to the same team ... Hillsboro, before they fianlly made another apperence under his leadership. Same talent pool ... same inability to kick field goals as before ... but they too had to learn.

I think coah Saulsberry has done an excellent job. If you trace WH history over the past 10 years you will see that they have consistently improved under his guidence and they are learning what it takes to make it to the next level. WH has never made it to the 2nd round 2 years in a row ... not in the past ten years. It's not going to be some 2-year fix like most folks want or desire ... winning on that level takes time, patience and support. WH has improved in all areas ... ESPECIALLY coaching. You may not agree with his coaching style or some of the decisions that are made during the game. I haven't always agreed either ... but I do recognize one thing ... They have improved ten-fold under him and I don't think it stops at just losing in the 2nd round. I think they are figuring it out. While they do ... I'm going to enjoy the ride.

I talk to some folks after games or after last season and they say ... "Man ... we can't get over that hump!" ... or ... "Yeah ... the season was good, but it doesn't mean anything if we can't win it all". I'm listening to this and I know where WH's history lies and I think to myself ... "Man ... when is the last time WH was even considered to be consistently this good?" or I think ... "Melrose thought the same way and ran off good coaches because of stupidity". Finding a good coach is VERY difficult ... AND ... to have a supportive administration and booster club. All of those are in place ... so, i'm of the opinion that the sky is the limit, regardless of the outcome with WS or CBHS.

kwc,

Thanks for pointing out the in between game- Ridgeway. I forgot about that one.

I think that you are a bit off with your Melrose comparison. Yes, they had to learn how to win, but some of the things they did or the way they went about it was just different than what I see Whitehaven doing. As you know, some of the things that Melrose did rubbed some the wrong way. I am not saying that one way is better than another. What Melrose did worked for them as illustrated by their Championships and deep play-off runs. But even with their success, they underacheived due to the lack of a kicking game (which is a major component of football).

I actually like the direction that Whitehaven seems to be headed. My criticism is that with the resources and talent pool it has, the progress is way too slow; though the direction is good.

Unlike Orange Mound, Whitehaven still has lots of middle-class families that supply the school with many kids that are not disadvantaged. With its demographics, you just know that this program should be so much better than it has been over the last 15 or so years.

I think coah Saulsberry has done an excellent job. If you trace WH history over the past 10 years you will see that they have consistently improved under his guidence and they are learning what it takes to make it to the next level. WH has never made it to the 2nd round 2 years in a row ... not in the past ten years. It's not going to be some 2-year fix like most folks want or desire ... winning on that level takes time, patience and support. WH has improved in all areas ... ESPECIALLY coaching. You may not agree with his coaching style or some of the decisions that are made during the game. I haven't always agreed either ... but I do recognize one thing ... They have improved ten-fold under him and I don't think it stops at just losing in the 2nd round. I think they are figuring it out. While they do ... I'm going to enjoy the ride.

I talk to some folks after games or after last season and they say ... "Man ... we can't get over that hump!" ... or ... "Yeah ... the season was good, but it doesn't mean anything if we can't win it all". I'm listening to this and I know where WH's history lies and I think to myself ... "Man ... when is the last time WH was even considered to be consistently this good?" or I think ... "Melrose thought the same way and ran off good coaches because of stupidity". Finding a good coach is VERY difficult ... AND ... to have a supportive administration and booster club. All of those are in place ... so, i'm of the opinion that the sky is the limit, regardless of the outcome with WS or CBHS.

I agree with your post kwc. Anytime a team can become a consistant force in the playoffs, you have to enjoy that ride. One day it could be over with. It's easy to take 10-2 seasons for granted when you get into playoffs and can't "win it all". But there's sooo mnay others that would love to switch places with you!

kwc,

I think that you are a bit off with your Melrose comparison. Yes, they had to learn how to win, but some of the things they did or the way they went about it was just different than what I see Whitehaven doing.

I don't think my comparison is off in the slightest bit because my point of emphasis wasn't the manner in which Melrose went about developing it's championship teams but it was that they HAD TO DEVELOP championship teams ... and it took time and patience and learning ... from coaches to administration to players for that to happen .... THAT was my point, and in that regard ... I hit the nail on the head.

Unlike Orange Mound, Whitehaven still has lots of middle-class families that supply the school with many kids that are not disadvantaged. With its demographics, you just know that this program should be so much better than it has been over the last 15 or so years.

Demographics ... Swimographics. WH does not hold a monopoly on middle-class families that supply the school with many kids that are not disadvanatged. If that were the case ... everybody that fits that profile, which would be more then the disadvantaged, should expect championship dominance ... and it's just not going to happen just because mom and dad have good paying jobs. I don't agree with that line of thinking at all. That is way too simplistic and it overlooks the obvious. It never has been about demographics when it comes to high school football. I mean ... if that were the case ... Melrose should NEVER have even sniffed the playoffs ... let alone ... have fielded dominant football teams and played in SEVERAL Championship games in recent history.