Who will win the "Biggest Score Spread' this season ??

CHAMPDDS

Yes there is. It was named much earlier in this Thread but I realize BigG is working hard to keep this forum "G" rated and removed my entry. I'll give you a hint.....everybody has one.

dry.gif

I am sure you are referring to peoples opinions, right?

Again, whether you agree or disagree to a score spread, we really don't want to get into coach and team bashing or name calling. That is not what the boards are for. Discussing the spread, or debating what can be done about it is great.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I am ready to take a bashing.....With only 13 players, I don't have much to work with. We played JCM last night, and I started my defense as forwards, my two leading scorers on the bench, and everyone else somewhere they are not used to playing. We were up 6-0 at half. 2 of them by one of my So. defenders who has never been past the center circle. Ever. (It is going to be hard to put her back on D now, too.)

Anyway, Ref met with other coach and I at half, and wanted to know if we wanted to shorten game, set a max amount of goals, or anything. She said "absolutley not!" I told the ref that after every goal, I was going to pull a player, but she heard me and said I better not. So I said that I would set some pretty stiff rules for my team to be able to take a shot. She told me to keep bringing it no matter what.

I started out with a "got to make 4, 1 touch passes, and then shots are from outside the 18" rule, but it was 8-0 by 60 minutes. So then it was 6 passes, and balls had to go on our half of the field before they could advance. Still shots outside the 18. It was 10-0 with 7 minutes left. I told my girls no more shots, and to play possession. Which aggrevated the other team, and they were starting to get mad and were telling my team to keep bringing it, they were not done.

I told them that the only way we could score was if there were 8 passes, and the ball had to be scored by header or volley. Well, there was a handled ball that should have been a red, but I was glad he didn't pull it, and we were awarded a PK. I pulled up a Sr. defender who has never scored a goal in her 10 years of playing soccer. She made it, and mom was happy.

The other team was not down, they actually showed great sportsmanship and class, as did the coach after the game.

This was the same score we had last year, but they had 2 own goals.

It was a district game, and I am very happy with the way my team conducted themselves during and after the game. I think I am going to enforce the passing rules on our Crockett County game on Tuesday, just because they couldn't believe they were doing it so well. Granted, we were playing a less skilled team, but we are middle of the road here in West Tn. We have been on the receiving end of 12-0, 13-0 for so many years, it would make your head spin. I guess you have to either do it, or get it done to you as a coach, to fully understand all the factors that are present. All the moms and dads, will never know how it feels. They can give you all the feedback, thrashing, and ridicule in the world, but we as coaches are always going to take it on the chin.

Aren't you the guy who complaining about being beat 9-3 accusing the opponent of bad sportsmanship and recruiting. Ironic

I think it was the Dekalb coach.

It is really pretty stupid for people to blast a coach for a score without seeing a game. All the raised eyebrows of these people and their pompous attitude is really ridiculous especially at the high school level. As a rec and middle school coach, I do not run scores up, but this is not rec soccer. Coaches should not have to post lenghthy explanations about why a score happened.

I think CoachMikeLHS deserves a little more consideration. :twisted:

First: He does not hide on here.

Second: He knows everyone is ready to bash a high scoring game.

Third: He spoke first.

Fourth: Everybody knows how it can happen, often by own goals or accident or a kids first goal. We

had all three happen in one game.

Fifth: We should pick on the multiple offenders, not the exception.

Sixth: Confession is good for the sole. Way to confess CoachMike.

It is really pretty stupid for people to blast a coach for a score without seeing a game. All the raised eyebrows of these people and their pompous attitude is really ridiculous especially at the high school level. As a rec and middle school coach, I do not run scores up, but this is not rec soccer. Coaches should not have to post lenghthy explanations about why a score happened.

I'm kind of with Cannon on this one. I once commented on a high score several years ago and I got a call from the coach that was on the winning side of the game, and he explained to me the circumstances behind the "scenes" that people didn't know, and after hearing his explanation, I could see how the score got that way.

I think there is a big disparity (even more so on the girls side) in the talent level in individual districts. And since you have to play the district games, one can't get on a coach for having to play them. There can be plans put into affect that will help these type scores, but in the end, sometimes the goals just go in.

2 things here... I agree with Aqua dog in the fact that if it is the exception and not the rule, then give the coach the benefit of the doubt. If teams are putting up 4-5 games of 10+ goals, then maybe grumbles can be "justified".

Also, and especially because very few of us are at the games, I think it is more the "journey" than the "destination" in these situations. I have seen some really classless games that end 3-0 with the losing side being very upset, while at the same time have seen some great games with true sportsmanship end 8-0, with even the losing side keeping their dignity.

Either way, it is difficult no matter how it plays... danged if you don't play hard, danged if you do. I feel as long as your team plays with class, and shows respect to their opponents, then the outcome is not as important.

First: I would like to welcome a new poster to T..... Welcome JacksonSteve!!!!!! ;):D

Second: In my effort to be smarter that I appear on here, I was doing some research on the Germantown strength issue and went to USJ Euro page to see who they have played and how well they did. They are quite the scoring team with 79 goals this season, albeit there's only a couple of Teams from the Memphis area that I know. I understand they have a very good program, excellent facilities and are working to compete at a higher level.

That being said, I think we failed to recognize their first victory of this year against IC.

USJ 15 -- IC 0

An effort like that should not be overlooked. B)

Thanks for the welcome.

All I am stating is that we have a high powered offense, and yes we have played some quality opponents as you can see from your research. Just because they all are not from Memphis and you don't recognize them is no fault of anyones. Yes we have a lost to a very good St.George's team who tied one of your cities best in Houston ! May i mention we were missing 1 of our best players. 2nd, we played a very very good defensive Germantown team to a tie . Yes we did score to many on some teams like IC , etc but lets don't downplay the accomplishments of what this team has done. I only wish we could play more teams from that area and then you guys could give a reasonable assessment !!!