Sequatchie County @ Chattanooga Christian

Sequatchie

Sequatchie wins 43-7. Slow start, 7-0 after one but Sequatchie led 30-0 at the half. I thought the team was a little flat at first, it happens even at the pro level but give some credit also to CCS for playing hard. Indians took over at the CCS 15 early after blocking a punt but were stopped on fourth down. The Chargers mixed the run and the short pass well and got into Indian territory but QB pressure forced an interception by lineman Daniel Smith.

Sequatchie moved down the field quickly, scored on a 1 yard run by Justus Stewart, and QB Brennan Wilson scored on a 1 yard run early in the second. Indians started to pull away after that as the rain started, and a hit on the CCS QB resulted in a fumble at the CCS 15. The Chargers held tough, forcing a fourth and goal and the Indians' Mason Farley scored from the 1, 20-0. Sequatchie's Martinez made a 25 yard FG just before that but CCS roughed the kicker on the play and the drive continued.

Sequatchie senior Makih Layne got the chance tonight to show his abilty due to some injuries and ran 65 yards for the TD midway through the second., 27-0. That looked to be the halftime score but Smith recovered a fumble for SC with 17 seconds left. Sequatchie's pass was incomplete but the Chargers roughed the passer, it had happened a couple of times prior and wasn't called until the coaches had to keep reminding the refs to pay attention to the backfield after the pass. The ball was placed at the 30 and Martinez hit the 47 yd FG to end the half.

First play of the second half after the kickoff, Stewart went 75 yards for a TD, 37-0. Four minutes left in the third, with the clock going nonstop and backups in including at QB, Martinez made a 52 yard FG that everyone was thinking has to be a school record, the 47 yarder earlier might have been the record for a few minutes. CCS had a 95 yard kickoff return right after that and passed for a 2 yard TD, Swafford to Simmons, 40-7.

Indians took up the rest of the third quarter with the clock now stopping again and some of the fourth, then Martinez made his third FG, from 44 yards out at 9:30. 43-7, non-stop clock again and the rest of the fourth went quickly. CCS got as far as the SC 20 in the final minute but was stopped with an interception at the goalline by soph Logan Summers. He made it out to the 35 and maybe could have gone a lot further but ended up running into a teammate.

Overall, not bad, especially with some productive runners out on offense, one runner slowed a bit due to injury and some players making their first starts on defense. Field goal kicking was excellent and was good to see after some special teams trouble against Signal Mountain was part of that loss. Sequatchie got a flag for a coach being a yard or two on the field with maybe 10 seconds left, not disputing a call, just standing there waiting for the last seconds to tick off. That was very petty and summed up how things went at times. Stewart had 150 yards on 10 carries for SC.

A 52yrd field goal is great for any team. Good win for the Indians. Good luck next week.
It probably would have made by another 5 or 6 yards. He has a big time leg!

However the folks in the stands didn't like seeing him on defense toward the end of the game. :oops: One bad slip, tackle or hit in the wrong place and that big time weapon could be lost for the rest of the year!