pioneer coach arrested

rastabob

Guest slider2002

I know what you mean. I remember having coaches bring paddles to practice. You would get poped if you were not in the right stance. We didn't think anything of it. Players and parents today would not know how to act with some of the things that used to go on years ago.

I feel sorry for Coach Tidwel and the people of Warren County. His anyone heard if he is getting fired or anything?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what is wrong with our sports programs in the state. I am sure the coach didn't mean to hurt anyone. The parents of this child need to allow the son to be coached and to know that not everything is going to go his way. I am a junior high football coach and I believe that the reason alot of our children are the way they are is because parents will not allow there children to handle controversy on their own. Parents always wants to blame someone else for their childs mistake please you people in that county let this rest cause it is setting a bad precedent for the kids of that county

From what I have read about this I believe that this incident was a complete accident and that Coach Tidwell is very sorry. But I just don't understand why some coaches feel that they have to scream and throw things around in an elaborate display of anger to prove a point. They are either trying to get their players to listen and respond, in which case there are much more effective ways of doing so, or they just can't contain their anger, which would make them immature and not fit for coaching anyway. Although I don't think Coach Tidwell should be arrested for this, I also don't think the situation should be merely overlooked.

Posted by basket2424:

this is what is wrong with our sports programs in the state. I am sure the coach didn't mean to hurt anyone. The parents of this child need to allow the son to be coached and to know that not everything is going to go his way. I am a junior high football coach and I believe that the reason alot of our children are the way they are is because parents will not allow there children to handle controversy on their own. Parents always wants to blame someone else for their childs mistake please you people in that county let this rest cause it is setting a bad precedent for the kids of that county

Are you saying that it was ok for him to throw a helmet because he was mad? This is a case of a grown man acting like a child. All the kid did was get hit in the head and get stiches, because his coach was mad! This situation is not setting a bad precident for the kids, it's setting a bad precident for the coach. Its just a very unfourtunate situation that should never have happened. I mean, if he just had to throw a helmet, he could have at least looked where he was throwing it first.

[Edited by underpar on 9-17-02 12:51P]

Posted by underpar:
Posted by basket2424:

Are you saying that it was ok for him to throw a helmet because he was mad? This is a case of a grown man acting like a child. All the kid did was get hit in the head and get stiches, because his coach was mad! This situation is not setting a bad precident for the kids, it's setting a bad precident for the coach. Its just a very unfourtunate situation that should never have happened. I mean, if he just had to throw a helmet, he could have at least looked where he was throwing it first.

He was not mad, it was a planned act that coaches across the country do from time to time to fire up their team! I guess you would have to have experienced these things to understand! It is like being an actor in a play and someone getting hurt while doing a stunt! It is the same thing! This was not motivated by anger! The best way I can describe it is imagine you are sitting in a class and there is a planned activity that goes wrong. No one planned for the activity to go wrong, it just did and someone got hurt. that is all this was! Coaches are always looking for ways to motivate their teams and this has been an accepted method for many years. Maybe it isn't a great idea, but it is one that many coaches still use! Do coaches, yell at their teams, YES THEY DO! Can it be an effective method, YES IT CAN! Is it the best method, THAT DEPENDS UPON THE TEAM! Football is the closest thing to being in the ARMED SERVICES you can have in high school apart from ROTC. You experience the full gamete in football!

some say football coaches don't have to yell....well that works fine in YOUR house where you have raised you child in a positive environment....but for the hard street kid, or the kid from a negative environment, ask them to do something with pink panties on and they will laugh at you.... give them tough love and they will love you forever because you are filling a void in their life...

after 20 years of working in the criminal justice system, i think i can shed some light here..

the coach will not go to jail simply because this is a misdemeanor...this type of offense under these circumstances will not result in a jail sentence.....in most civilized communities in this state....

would this of happened to john q public.....the answer is no....under similar circumstances as coach tidwell, the police or the DA are not going to take action, unless the victim insist on prosecuting.... why, most court dockets are backlogged with drug cases and other far more serious offenses..... the key elements here are "accident" vs "intentional", "minor injury" vs "serious injury", what is best for "community", "school", and "victim"...so the question is why the criminal indictment?...

this was a minor injury ...sorry pink panties but stitches/staples is considered as a minor injury..... i have seen people receive a hard bash intentionally, from a bat, result in 50 staples, and the court still considered it minor injury...

as i previously stated, the definition of "justice" is the upholding of what is right and fair..... so in this case what is right and fair ?...

the sad thing is some people are in the crowd yelling for extreme punishment.... for a man who has dedicated his life to building men......and who made a mistake that resulted in a minor injury........

[Edited by mg on 9-17-02 4:31P]

Ok well all this is fine and dandy it doesnt change the fact the coach did something that is wrong and he should be punished accordingly. I dont know the man nor have any horse in this race, but i think he deserves some kind of punishment. Other than a slap on the wrist. I understand that this is tactic that coaches have used sinced coaching began, but it doesnt change the fact that he injured one of his own.

Posted by ELA:
Posted by underpar:
Posted by basket2424:

He was not mad, it was a planned act that coaches across the country do from time to time to fire up their team! I guess you would have to have experienced these things to understand! It is like being an actor in a play and someone getting hurt while doing a stunt! It is the same thing! This was not motivated by anger! The best way I can describe it is imagine you are sitting in a class and there is a planned activity that goes wrong. No one planned for the activity to go wrong, it just did and someone got hurt. that is all this was! Coaches are always looking for ways to motivate their teams and this has been an accepted method for many years. Maybe it isn't a great idea, but it is one that many coaches still use! Do coaches, yell at their teams, YES THEY DO! Can it be an effective method, YES IT CAN! Is it the best method, THAT DEPENDS UPON THE TEAM! Football is the closest thing to being in the ARMED SERVICES you can have in high school apart from ROTC. You experience the full gamete in football!

If that coach had shown enough concern for the kid to let the assistants take over in the second half while the coach made sure the kid was taken care of, NONE of this would be happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by jabbo:
Posted by ELA:
Posted by underpar:
Posted by basket2424:

If that coach had shown enough concern for the kid to let the assistants take over in the second half while the coach made sure the kid was taken care of, NONE of this would be happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a shame the kid got hurt and I'm sure it has scared the team as a whole. The coach should have thought things through before picking up a harden object like a helmet and throwing it. I'm sure it was an accident, but it's like firing a gun, once the object leaves there's not retrieving it. There's been lots of people hurt or killed from accidents that were not intended to harm anyone. I've played football for six years, and in the six years, two in jr. high and four in high we had a heck of a team. And thinking back, I cannot remenber the coaching staff picking up a single object and throwing it. Yelling yes, but throwing NO! If a coach must throw somehting to motivate his or her team like a LITTLE KID, then for GOD sake, throw something soft like a towel or shirt. Use your head to think instead of a hat @@@@!!

:confused:

Posted by ELA:
Posted by underpar:
Posted by basket2424:

Well, this "planned" act wasn't "planned" well enough! I'm sorry but stuff like that, in my opinion, only motivates the type people who would bang thier head agaist a wall to get pumped up. Go ahead and yell as loud as you want, but yell somthing meaningful and inspiring. My highschool coach once smashed a radio in the locker room before a game, but most of the players just thought it was pretty stupid.

1) if this was planned, it was planned VERY badly. I've heard of coaches throwing things to get kids attention, but hurling a 10 pound projectile in a closed room full of kids is pretty stupid. So stupid it probably disqualifies you for any type of leadership postion.

2) If he had told the parents immediately what had happened instead of letting them wonder why their kid didn't come out for the second half, my guess is that most of this could have been avoided. See stupid comment above.

3) Those of you lamenting the passing of the good old days when coaches carried paddles to practice and such think for a minute. If your kid comes home and says he got paddled for putting too much weight on his hand in a 3 point stance, you'd be steamed. And you should. Maybe those days weren't that great.

4) True, football is as close as we have to combat and the armed services in civillian life. In the armed services, if you injure a fellow soldier being an idiot, chances are you may spend time in the brig.

5) I do feel for the coach. In one instant, his career is pretty much over. If he could have put his own head in the path of that helmet, my guess is he'd do it in an heartbeat.

Sorry this is so long. After reading some of these posts that almost made the kid out to be the villian, I just had to respond.

wolf