Ladies Classic Teams Announced

RebelBasketballFan

Wow, what an exciting tourney. I am sad to say that I only made it to the end of the Cleveland/OR game and then the SG/Sycamore game but I have listened all day and have not been disappointed.

I wasn't feeling very confindent in South Greene until the 4th quarter but it was an exciting game to watch. After the game against Greeneville before Christmas, I thought we may have a long season ahead. The girls just didn't seem to be in and the shots didn't fall. Tonight; however, Rechelle was back and Maelyn Cutshaw had some great plays as well. Ashley Tweed had probably one of her best nights. Shelby had a tough night and made several mistakes, but that is so off character for her that it doesn't concern me yet. Brandi and Ansley had some great plays but I have seen better from both.

I also thought the refs did much better than what I have seen so far this year, though there were mistakes on both ends of the court. The first half was very physical with few fouls called on either end, then the second half was called much more closely. I do have a question for you experts. When the young lady for Sycamore was fouled on the three and the shot counted, how many free throws should she have received. She was given 2, or maybe it was 1-1, but everyone was in an uproar, so just wondering.

I was shocked listening to the Cosby/Greeneville game. Nothing against the Lady Devils, I was just expecting much more from Cosby. Were they off or have the been overated? If you haven't heard Cosby won 43-40 in a very close game with Greeneville up by 9 at one point.

I'll hush now, just excited, I love the Classic.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the foul when the 3 counted- the ref explained that the foul was after the shot on the floor. Shot counted and she got 2 shots as they were in the double bonus. My personal opinion was that SG kinda took them for granted. They didn't look very good and were very small. Sounded like the coach had some fun with it as all starters were announced at all between 5'10" and 6'2" (a couple of them were MAYBE 5-2"!).

I thought Cosby appeared over-rated. I expected more and really Greeneville should have won- just played poorly late. Their (Cosby)guard play looked weak. Maybe they'll get it cranked up after the holiday lay-off but I thought they were avg and well below what I expected from all the hype.

OR can't shoot. Cleveland was way down early and went to a zone and then methodically caught up and pulled away. Heard Mt. Juliet looked strong!

"I was shocked listening to the Cosby/Greeneville game. Nothing against the Lady Devils, I was just expecting much more from Cosby. Were they off or have the been overated? If you haven't heard Cosby won 43-40 in a very close game with Greeneville up by 9 at one point."

I agree. Didn't see much D1 material there tonight, but also Greeneville plays stellar defense and can hold most teams around 40 or less. Also, Greeneville is underrated as usual but I must say, even I was not impressed with them tonight.

As a fan of Greeneville, I am candidly afraid we are going to see them lose a LOT of close games like this simply because the "program" is so ingrained in their brains that they will not adjust. They continue to almost robotically play slow-down ball when they are behind. They will not (and I say "will" instead of "cannot" because I have seen most of them play transition and pure "in your face/down your throat" basketball before) take advantage of situations that are wide-open for fear of making a mistake or getting yelled at...IT'S RIDICULOUS!!! And just a pet peeve of mine : walking the ball up the court when you are behind late in the 4th quarter is UNACCEPTABLE - Basketball 101!

Normally I am a big proponent of Div. 2 King signee, Kelley. Although a terror on defense, she was a non-factor tonight offensively which is really a shame because not utilizing her strength in attacking the basket is like leaving 12-15 points a game out in space somewhere. Shipley was on fire tonight but one player can't do it all.

IT IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!! In a close game, all they have to do is use the talent they have to attack the basket and get the opposing team and key players in foul trouble EARLY in the 3rd quarter. Their beautiful and intricate :lol: motion and quadruple (I exxagerate but only slightly) screen plays are really a sight to see but WE DON'T NEED TO SEE THEM when we are LOSING! Those plays should be when you are ahead and killing the clock. IMO, they need to transition early in the third quarter, attack the basket and gain the advantage (i.e. bonus foul shot situation) before it's too late. Tonight, they didn't start making things happen until the last 3 minutes and then they were just too tired.

The starting 5 for Greeneville should have had almost every game they have played this year (except for maybe SG) well in hand and allowed the bench to get some playing time. By not doing so, they are doing a dis-service to their team.

What's the definition of insanity??? Doing the SAME thing over and over and expecting a different result...That is the Greeneville "program" right now and it's really a shame. So much potential being hampered makes it almost painful to watch sometimes.

ghsbballfan - "Normally I am a big proponent of Div. 2 King signee, Kelley. Although a terror on defense, she was a non-factor tonight offensively which is really a shame because not utilizing her strength in attacking the basket is like leaving 12-15 points a game out in space somewhere. Shipley was on fire tonight but one player can't do it all."

Couldn't agree more. As her mom, if I hear her 'robotically' say "defense wins championships..." one more time I am going to throw my self into traffic! That may be true but only if you have more points than the other team!

Until they decide to step up and play some real, instinctual basketball, you're right, it's probably going to be a long, frustrating season :lol:

On the foul when the 3 counted- the ref explained that the foul was after the shot on the floor. Shot counted and she got 2 shots as they were in the double bonus. My personal opinion was that SG kinda took them for granted. They didn't look very good and were very small. Sounded like the coach had some fun with it as all starters were announced at all between 5'10" and 6'2" (a couple of them were MAYBE 5-2"!).

I thought Cosby appeared over-rated. I expected more and really Greeneville should have won- just played poorly late. Their (Cosby)guard play looked weak. Maybe they'll get it cranked up after the holiday lay-off but I thought they were avg and well below what I expected from all the hype.

OR can't shoot. Cleveland was way down early and went to a zone and then methodically caught up and pulled away. Heard Mt. Juliet looked strong!

Thanks for the info on the 3 pointer and the foul shots. That makes since. Sycamore was very small. I would have guessed that the smallest #00 was 5' even and the other girl maybe the 5-2" you suggested. The program even had #00 as 6'. Hmm.

Mt. Juliet sounds like the team to beat this year.

Since when has King College been moved up to DII? I thought they were NAIA? Any news on the games this morning? Doesn't look like I'm going to see any more action. Busy day today then off to Atlanta to cheer on the Vols.

Since last year. I believe they had to participate in an "exploratory" year last year playing both Div. II and NAIA schools and were officially granted Div. II status from the NCAA this year. As it was for us (the Kelleys) it will be beneficial to many of our local athletes as NCAA opens up more scholarship funding.