Ladies Classic Teams Announced

RebelBasketballFan

I didn't catch the end of the tournament but I've been acustomed to refs being out of posistion and making bad calls. I've always said, I've never minded bad officiating as long as it's bad for both teams. If both teams have to endure through bad calls then so be it. Now, if a ref is calling one way for one team and one way for another, that is when it irks me and I didn't see any of that the first two days of the tourney. Congrats to Mt. Juliet, they will be tough in Murfreesboro.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guru..

I didn't even have any ties to a team in the tournament, just a fan of Girls' Hoops. I have always heard that The GreenBank Classic was a showcase of talent. It is a great combination of teams. I was very impressed with Mt Juliet and became a fan of how well coached most of the teams were. I even enjoyed how the whole community embraced the tournament. I will return next year and I'm sure the refs will be there again. I just was extremely disappointed in the officials. I realize some calls are missed just like shots, but it was just bad. I even said I don't think it was in favor of any team... just bad all around. I just didn't think it was equal to the billing of the tournament. Don't be a hater.. unless you were one of the refs that was as wide as you are tall.. :o

Like yourself, I am also just a fan of basketball and have been coming to this tournament for years since I live in Greene County. I agree that there were several referees who worked that couldn't get into postition because of weight or because they are getting up in age and couldn't keep up with the speed of the game so they probably did have to guess at a few calls. Overall though, I felt that most of the officials did a good job with the tournament. Like I said earlier, there were calls in every single game I watched that I didnt agree with-but that happens in every single game that is played...

Maybe a better way to describe it would have been to say that several of the referees had no place out there and made themselves and the guys they were with look bad, but as a whole the tournament was officiated well...

I like the comment made about the games being called more like a college game would have been, that is a great way to describe it...and after watching basketball for several decades I have come to the conclusion that games in which players can "play through" the minimal contact or the "small stuff" and keep the clock going, which allows the teams to get in a groove and set a good tempo for the game, tend to go a lot smoother and be a lot better games than those where the teams are in the bonus by the end of the first quarter. I understand that it cant be avoided in some games, but for the most part it is true...and as a whole that is how the games I witnessed at the classic were called...

Yeah agree that some ref.'s were better than others. GreenBank did a wonderful job again this year with the tournament. BRAC was well represented this year and I enjoyed watching our local Region 1 teams. South Greene and Greeneville looked different at this Christmas tournament than they did at the Thankgiving tournaments. South Greene appeared more in control and played good team ball even with the loss of their post player. Dye looked more confident. Greeneville also played well but didn't have enough offense. Chuckey Doak is always close on their heels and North Greene had a good showing also. DB had a horrible first draw but kept up their efforts until the end. I thought that Cocke County was the biggest local surprise in this tournament.

Mt. Juliet was exciting to watch with their great post player and many other talented players. The Cosby team certainly had spurts of greatness but just couldn't keep up the momentum the entire game. The Livingston team was also fun to watch with a great wing and point guard. Maryville also played good team ball and their point guard sure did have a good showing.

I still think the BRAC championship will be down to the final wire as I could see any of the top three teams taking the prize on any given night. :thumb: