CheckerboardEndzones

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy ending

MUS 20

OB 15

With just over 4 mins..Brunetti picks up a first down at opponents 20. MUS takes him out, I am guessing to avoid injury, and next snap sails over backups head. OB scores 2 plays later. MUS blocks extra point attempt. OB recovers ensuing onside kick and score a play later. MUS stops 2 point conversion. MUS recovers the 2nd onside kick and Brunetti converts a 3 and 1 to run out the clock.

Impressive. (and as a poke to our friends in West Tennessee....) Imagine what a middle Tennessee team would have done to OB!

Kidding aside, MUS seems to be awfully powerful again. I'd like to see them and Ensworth, and that would be my bet for the state championship. There are some states where a match-up of that caliber would rate being played on a weekend, but Tennessee gives this fixture a time slot generally reserved for middle-school games.

Great win tonight for MUS, I guess last year wasn't such a fluke after all :thumb: The schedule just keeps on coming with Memphis East up next week, they put 68 on White Station this evening.

**edit** Well now WMC 5 says White Station put 68 on East, I guess it doesn't really matter as MUS plays them both.

Reading the comments section in the Commercial Appeal online, you would think that MUS did not stand a chance.

White Station put up 68 a week after getting blanked by CBHS who turned around and got blanked by Whitehaven, who had previously been routed by none other than....wait for it...White Station.

If the Owls play their game and can stay healthy, they should not have many problems for the rest of the regular season.

Its worth noting that their #1 RB, McBride, who is has had D1 offers and won either the 100m or 200m track state title last year, has yet to play due to injury.

Its worth noting that their #1 RB, McBride, who is has had D1 offers and won either the 100m or 200m track state title last year, has yet to play due to injury.

I heard he fractured a shoulder before the season, but is expected back in the next few weeks.

I actually thought that I heard that he might be back this week. It would have been a tough game to comeback to though. Maybe next week.

Posted: Today 12:03 AM

Quote from Mississippi High School Football Blog (scout.com)

Re: Olive Branch vs MUS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"obgrad wrote: I think we called it due to having 13 men on the field.

These are the kind of mistakes that separates us from SP and MUS. You guys have to admit over the last several years OB has kicked themselves in the rear time after time in big games. We had 12-13 on the field last week too. All I am saying we need to address this. It is a serious issue. We have to become a mentally tough and disciplined team."

Must have different officials than last week.

Having 12 to 13 players on the field finally caught up with OB.

Last week was an embarrsiment for Mississippi HS officiating.

Maybe if the calls were made last week then the players would have learned how to substitute for the MUS game.

Congrats MUS and the state of Tennessee.

I wonder if the player who hit MUS lineman Witt Meloni in the facemask after the play was whistled dead was the same guy who did the exact same thing in the MUS game last year to another of the MUS linemen. The only difference is that last year, the refs didn't see it (but the cameraman, who got a great shot of it on the game film, did). This year, the cheap shot got the player tossed from the game. Hope it was a lesson learned for him. Congratulations, Owls!