Dobyns Bennett vs Sullivan South

BatmanDB

I am surprised at the relative congeniality on this board. Perhaps talking about football is much better when you don't actually have to play football. Now that the beloved duo are actually playing everyone is quiet. Talk rather than action certainly is the Lane Kiffin approach.

Oh well. A few predictions and comments.

1. D-B will upset South by 21 - 20 because 1) South has a mental block when it comes to D-B, 2) D-B's coaching staff will dial it up with two weeks to prepare, 3) South's QB injury situation is critical and the Watson blitz package will be very hard on the new QB, 4) CS will gain over 100 yds rushing in spite of Comp's message board blitz, 5) South has an untested kicker, and 6) D-B will successfully throw enough to make a difference.

Sorry, Rebel Nation.

2. THS will absolutely kill D-B (barring significant injuries to the Vikings before the game) because 1) the Viking coaching staff thinks GC did a little score run up in the last game, 2) Stubbs has discovered the forward pass and actually has a QB to execute it, 3) THS is better at every position (including running back - sorry Waco), 4) D-B is surprisingly soft this season, and 5) the Vikings don't have the mental problem South does.

Sorry, Tribe. I am curious. What is the record for victory margin by a D-B opponent in a conference game in the modern era? I think the Vikes will exceed it.

3. South will find a way to beat THS in the last game of the season because Stubbs has yet to exorcise the Carter demon. I do not know if this will be by 1) whipping us up front and us not being motivated like the '04 playoff game, 2) playing with more confidence with a back up QB like in '05, 3) completely outcoaching us like in '06, 4) the refs calling a Rebel fumble down by contact like in '07, or 5) a general *** kicking like in '08. This is our best chance to re-turn the corner. Maybe our passing attack will be the difference.

4. My first top five for the season in NET - size corrected, of course.

1) Betsy - "Return to Dominance" is the motto. I would like to know more about the recent 10-3 loss to Asheville HS. Before that, I was completely on the bandwagon - a potential state title contender in their classification with their skill people.

2) THS - great offense so far with Stubbs featuring an effective passing / running tandem. Defense is crusty as usual. This could be the Vikings' year. Probably the current oddsmaker's favorite to win the Big 8. Must close the deal at South.

3) South - outstanding performance in big games so far - G'ville and Gate City. Almost let Boone beat them. Biggest game of the year coming up this week (not for standings or playoff seeding but from a mental standpoint). This team has shown great resilience in light of their opening game tragedy. I, along with many fans across the state, am certainly pulling for them.

4) Boone - never underestimate a Jenkins' coached team. Closed the deal on a historic victory over D-B. Run the ball well and play tough D. With a growing student population could be a surprising rising power in the Big 8 and will probably garner the third seed this year.

5) G'ville - probably has the best statistical player in the area with Spradlin. Surprisingly ineffective on offense against Betsy. Can they throw the ball effectively against a good team? Frankly, I thought there would be a bigger drop off in performance with the off season coaching controversy. Interesting to see the second half of the season for this team - they get no points in my ranking for dropping down to a lower classification. In fact, I think the TSSAA should investigate whether they meet the criteria for a private school as anyone in Greene County can attend G'ville HS without tuition. They get to really cherry pick.

6 - 10) Others receiving votes: North, Tri-Cities Christian, D-B (should be 3-2), Crockett, West Greene, Science Hill, Happy Valley, Sullivan East

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comp. writes these, put me to sleep stories and Btaylor mom writes crap that makes absolutely no friggin sense. You people need help. Comp. to hear you tell it, your boy was the greatest thing to come out of high school football. Whatever. And BTaylor's mom , you need to call AA because you're evidently drinking way to much. I can't wait until we beat your butts next week so i won't have to read anymore of your crap for a while. Does anybody else agree? I bet they do! If your going to speak your mind on here lets do it with a little football in mind and not your fantasy worlds. Come on. Please? Roll Tribe Roll..............

Get a job...take a bath...maybe things will clear up for you.

volman,( i'am not a welcher), I haven't been to a game this year, no i haven't given on D.B. never will, just think south has a better team ,from people i have talked too in the last few weeks .not going to give you my email yet. just who i am. it has been 2 months since last posted ,about 2 months ago a man got hit by a car while he was weedeating (it doen't taste good). do the math. I hope it is a good game i hope St. Clair gets to play and the Taylor boy Has a good game. I look at sports a little different now nothing but positive stuff. the kids have by far to much pressure already , going to support all of upper net. i'm on crutches, can i set on the south with my D.B. hat and enjoy the game. (moma taylor i still can't write)

volman,( i'am not a welcher), I haven't been to a game this year, no i haven't given on D.B. never will, just think south has a better team ,from people i have talked too in the last few weeks .not going to give you my email yet. just who i am. it has been 2 months since last posted ,about 2 months ago a man got hit by a car while he was weedeating (it doen't taste good). do the math. I hope it is a good game i hope St. Clair gets to play and the Taylor boy Has a good game. I look at sports a little different now nothing but positive stuff. the kids have by far to much pressure already , going to support all of upper net. i'm on crutches, can i set on the south with my D.B. hat and enjoy the game. (moma taylor i still can't write)

When I saw the last name in the paper I wondered if it was you. I hope you are doing okay. Sure you can sit on our side. Easier access with the crutches. Get well man.

Comp. writes these, put me to sleep stories and Btaylor mom writes crap that makes absolutely no friggin sense. You people need help. Comp. to hear you tell it, your boy was the greatest thing to come out of high school football. Whatever. And BTaylor's mom , you need to call AA because you're evidently drinking way to much. I can't wait until we beat your butts next week so i won't have to read anymore of your crap for a while. Does anybody else agree? I bet they do! If your going to speak your mind on here lets do it with a little football in mind and not your fantasy worlds. Come on. Please? Roll Tribe Roll..............

As Whitney Houston would say, "Crack is whack". Ease up on the stuff, son. :thumb:

Several people on this forum talk about the "elite" football program of DB. Well, what does it take to make an elite program? Hundreds of victories over smaller schools, better facilities than anyone you play, or just the decision to proclaim your status? The playoffs each year brings completive schools of equal opportunity playing each other. What is DB's record against these schools? Can you name another "elite" high school that has not won a single football championship is the past 50 years? Well, make that NEVER won a single championship. (won back went someone appointed the state champ) but not since you had to play other teams and beat them. Also as for Gate City, what was the score the last time DB and Gate City played each other? Best I can remember, it was in 1970 and Gate City won 44-16. By the way, Gate City has won 4 championships since 1970. They had to play teams of equal size or larger and opportunity in order to win. ANY elite program will have won the "Championship" at least once if not several times , no matter if it is little league, middle school, high school, college or Pros. A couple of elite programs in this area would be Gate City and Maryville. Since DB has either played in or won Championships in other sports, it does not appear to be the kids, what could be the problem?

I hate to break it to you FNLFBFAN, but Gate City hasn’t been able to compete in anything with the likes of DB for over a decade now… and I think that might be a generous assessment. You guys should just stay in your own LITTLE world, and stay out of the grown folks talk. :thumb:

I hate to break it to you FNLFBFAN, but Gate City hasn’t been able to compete in anything with the likes of DB for over a decade now… and I think that might be a generous assessment. You guys should just stay in your own LITTLE world, and stay out of the grown folks talk. :thumb:

I will AGREE with you on one thing, you are a lot better at talking than walking!

Without a doubt, the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

No… the dumbest thing I’ve read on here in a while is a Gate City fan having the nerve to compare the VERY different levels of play that separate Gate City and DB. Especially after getting the brakes beat off of you 49 to 14 by South. I personally respect Gate City’s accomplishments… but don’t even pretend like you would have had ANY of that success playing at the level of DB. And you wouldn’t have had any better luck playing them head to head. Just ask your State Champion and Runner Up basketball teams that have gone head to head here recently.

I hope this year goes down as a hard lesson to DB fans. One down year and even Gate City thinks they can tangle with you. :roll: Of course you could stop ALL the talk (and give a little bass back to your voice) with a win Friday night. South has a #1 in the State Performance Rating this week with two cliffhanger wins over Boone and Greeneville, an easy sweep of the door mat Central, and a dragging of Virginia 1A school Gate City. To be honest with you… I’m offended!! But hay… look at it this way… it has to mean something in the rankings to pull out a win over the #1 5A team. This has to be a scary game for both teams… to think that (in the eyes of many), the bragging rights of the last two or three years rest on this game. IMO South holds a slight edge this game in experience, momentum, and last but not leased motivation. But on the other hand you would be a fool to ever count a DB team out before the fat lady sings. If this game isn’t heavily scouted by opposing teams I would be VERY surprised, because there will be no holds bar in this one. I’ll be there!!! Hope we get the best from both sides without ANY injuries! Good luck.

:thumb: