AP 3A Football poll - Sept 22nd

BCsportsfan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy Huf :thumb:.........I think AE has a pretty good defense this year. Especially against the run. In a AE/Milan matchup........I see AE doing what Alcoa did last year against Milan. And, that is shutting the run game down and forcing Milan to throw the ball more than they do typically. Milan is a good passing team, but Milan uses their running game to make the passing game work?

But understand, I'm merely giving my opinion. :wacko: Good luck Milan! :wacko:

Sounds like your feelings about Austin-East have changed since the beginning of the season. So, I have a question for you concerning Austin-East vs Alcoa 2009...

Alcoa blowout or close game?

:wacko: Obviously you've not seen Polk play have you? :thumb:

No, I have not..........I base my opinion on Polk County's opponents this year and the margin of victory and stats PC had for each of those games.....:wacko:

Two of Polk's opponents are winless, and one of those winless opponents (Chattanooga Christian) put up 27 pts on them.

Sounds like your feelings about Austin-East have changed since the beginning of the season. So, I have a question for you concerning Austin-East vs Alcoa 2009...

Yes, AE played well against Ooletwah and Catholic.

I figure somewhere around a 28-14 game........Alcoa? Probably a little closer than the Alcoa/Fulton game?

What's your thoughts about a possible AE matchup with CAK or Alcoa in the playoffs? :thumb:

Yes, AE played well against Ooletwah and Catholic.

I figure somewhere around a 28-14 game........Alcoa? Probably a little closer than the Alcoa/Fulton game?

What's your thoughts about a possible AE matchup with CAK or Alcoa in the playoffs? :thumb:

Austin-East vs CAK:

I think Austin-East wins a close one against CAK. Austin-East's running game has shown flashes of being really good, and I think it is becoming more consistent. I believe Austin-East will be able to run the ball on CAK. Austin-East's defense is good. The DL gets from point A to point B quick, fast, and with lots of attitude. CAK may be able to move the ball some with their passing attack, but I think Austin-East will slow their offense enough to win.

Austin-East vs Alcoa:

I can't call a winner right now, I just think it will be a close game. Like you mentioned before, Austin-East defends well against the run... especially if it's a two back (conventional) offense. Based on posts from Alcoa fans, the Alcoa passing game still has a big question mark on it. If you are unable to pass effectively, Austin-East's run defense gets even better. Austin-East's offense will have to become more consistent to score on Alcoa's defense, but I think the offense is starting to peak. It will be in good shape by playoff time.

Two of Polk's opponents are winless, and one of those winless opponents (Chattanooga Christian) put up 27 pts on them.

I believe Polk's varsity played about a quarter against Chatt Christian and Sweetwater. The 27 points were scored against the freshmen team if I'm not mistaken. Check the box scores, quarter by quarter, in the Chatt Christian game it was 35-0 after 1 quarter and 40 - 0 at the half against Sweetwater.

I'm not saying they're world beaters, or even #3, but they are good...We'll see how they fair against South Pitt in a few weeks...

I believe Polk's varsity played about a quarter against Chatt Christian and Sweetwater. The 27 points were scored against the freshmen team if I'm not mistaken. Check the box scores, quarter by quarter, in the Chatt Christian game it was 35-0 after 1 quarter and 40 - 0 at the half against Sweetwater.

I'm not saying they're world beaters, or even #3, but they are good...We'll see how they fair against South Pitt in a few weeks...

Thanks for pointing that out... I didn't see the box score. I agree that South Pitt will be somewhat of a measuring stick, but the true measure of how good they are will be the first and second (if they make it that far) rounds of the playoffs. Historically, Region 3-3A teams did not fair well against Region 4-3A teams. Maybe Polk will do better with this year's District structure.

Howdy Huf :lol:.........I think AE has a pretty good defense this year. Especially against the run. In a AE/Milan matchup........I see AE doing what Alcoa did last year against Milan. And, that is shutting the run game down and forcing Milan to throw the ball more than they do typically. Milan is a good passing team, but Milan uses their running game to make the passing game work?

But understand, I'm merely giving my opinion. :thumb: Good luck Milan! :D

I will say that my opinion of A-E has changed. Candidly, before the season I was not a believer and I was not very impressed at the jamboree. But hanging that close to Ooltewah and Catholic has persuaded me that Austin East is a serious contender. If they can keep their offense going, they definitely have the defense to play with anyone.

As far as your take on the Alcoa vs. A-E match up, I see closer than I originally thought, but I want to see how the next few weeks play out. We know what Alcoa has for the most part, but I would like to see their passing game improve before I "give" them a definite victory over A-E. I have seen over the years many, many one dimensional teams that roll over opponents until they get into the playoffs and start facing really good competition. I also want to see if Austin East can keep the offense churning or if it looks more like the early season. Having said all that, right now I'd have to pick Alcoa 21 to 7.

I think you are pretty close in the CAK vs. A-E match up. The key word there IMO is "match up." You never know how 2 teams are going to match up that have never played. While A-E is the better team right now IMO, I don't think they will have played an offense like CAK's because there isn't one. Even other spread oriented teams are not like CAK. Team speed is very good at CAK this year, although not as good as A-E. CAK's defense has been pretty good themselves this year with the first team only giving up 27 points through 5 games. (Given up one special teams and 2 freshman team TD's as well.) If CAK was able to come into the game healthy (depth is a real issue) I think the outcome could surprise some. CAK has a strong kicking game (hit a 46 yarder with 10+ to spare against Loudon) this year. I would be very surprised if A-E could hold CAK below 10 points, meaning A-E has to have the offense going or break some long plays / special teams, which is certainly possible. As of right now, I'd say A-E 14, CAK 10.

Of course, I'd rather A-E and Alcoa play each other in round 1, and neither advance!! :thumb: Talk about a gauntlet! If we're lucky enough to make the playoffs, that's what we have to look forward to! :thumb:

That polk and chatt christian game the starters played 6 mins in the 1st then was done. the freshmen played the rest of the game. Polk is a solid team but the test they need will be in a couple of weeks at south pitt. These boys that have been playing together since they was 5 in little league ball and has had success through out little league. I know little league ain't high school ball but when you have played together that long you play better as a team. I've known all them since then and have seen them grow up and coached a few. Coach Davis and his staff do a great job of getting the best out of these young men and I do think they can go deeper in the playoffs this year. Looking forward to the south pitt game but we got to take care of the games before that and don't over look anyone.

My thoughts are........CAK over Elizabethton by 7 pts. :D

I'd love to see CAK and Milan play last year and this year. Talk about a war! :D

IMO, Polk County is the most overrated on the current poll.

Just curious why you would think that Polk County is the most overrated. To me this team is solid, seen them a couple of times, granted I havent seen the others (but will see CAK friday). Maybe because of the last 4 years in one of the weakest regions. They did beat McMinn Central (who is in the top 10) easily, but maybe they are a bit overrated also. Maybe your right, time will tell.

Just curious why you would think that Polk County is the most overrated. To me this team is solid, seen them a couple of times, granted I havent seen the others (but will see CAK friday). Maybe because of the last 4 years in one of the weakest regions. They did beat McMinn Central (who is in the top 10) easily, but maybe they are a bit overrated also. Maybe your right, time will tell.

I think Polk County should be on the list, but not 3rd. IMO, they have not had a game that really showcases their strength. The wins against their opponents are similar to other lower classification teams. But, I can not factor in if the starters did not play the entire game? So, til the South-Pitt game, I'd have to say their not a 3rd place team? :roflol: Alcoa has played some tough teams in KY state Champs, Maryville, Fulton and Loudon. AE has played Ooltewah, Fulton and Catholic, CAK pounded a good Loudon team and has a key 3A game at Elizabethton.

Some big 3A games that will help the define the classification:

Camden/Huntingdon game. (Huntingdon is not 3A, but the game will tell a lot about both teams)

Polk County/South-Pitt. (South-Pitt is not a 3A team, but will tell a lot about both teams)

CAK/Elizabethton (BIG 3A matchup)

AE/Gatlinburg-pittman

Smith Co./York

CPA/Pearl-Cohn

McMinn Central/Alcoa

Potential Playoff games: :popcorneater:

Camden/Milan/Westview/Creek Wood

CAK/AE/Alcoa/Polk Co./Gatlinburg-Pitt

Smith Co./Westmoreland/Elizabethton/York/Dekalb Co.

Goodpasture/Pearl-Cohn/CPA

imo, milan will be back against alcoa in the SCG(state championship game).

What key players do Alcoa return?

Nobody wants to see Avery Williamson again this year. That's for sure. :thumb:

Milan would have to come up with wrinkles to beat Alcoa. A lot of them. Maybe go back to the John Tucker days and have a totally different offense week to week.