DAVIDSON TAILBACK OUT FOR SEASON

cougar4life2010

Last friday night Justin Williams (Tail Back for Davidson Academy) tore his ACL and chipped a bone in his knee. He was running a cut in the DA Riverside Christian game and all the sudden he went down. This is a major loss for davidson he was their team. He was the reason they were going to win state. Now that he is out that opens up the door for other teams (DCA, Knox Webb). I do not know much about the west region of DII-A but I've heard that there arent any teams to worry about. So it will come down to DCA and Knox Webb for the Mid/East Region Spot.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090 ... eason+ends

link to the article

Last friday night Justin Williams (Tail Back for Davidson Academy) tore his ACL and chipped a bone in his knee. He was running a cut in the DA Riverside Christian game and all the sudden he went down. This is a major loss for davidson he was their team. He was the reason they were going to win state. Now that he is out that opens up the door for other teams (DCA, Knox Webb). I do not know much about the west region of DII-A but I've heard that there arent any teams to worry about. So it will come down to DCA and Knox Webb for the Mid/East Region Spot.

link to the article

No teams to worry about in the West? Let's not forget ECS, who has been the favorite to win it this year (and likely will be most years going forward) since the new Division II classes were announced.

And in the Middle/East, I would venture to say Knoxville Webb has probably been more of the people's choice all along, with or without this injury. I don't know what preseason coahces polls indicated, but ECS and Webb were the most logical choices to win Division II A going into this year.

No disrespect intended for DA, but the statement "...the reason they were going to win state" was rather presumptous. I think saying "...the reason they would have a small chance of winning state" would widely be considered more accurate, which is more of a testimony to the relative strength of the ECS and Webb programs in the new Division than it is a slam on DA.

I hate to hear that davidson lost there RB. I was looking forward to seeing him in person when they come to webb next month. It was going to be a good showdown between blance from webb and williams. rollredroll... ur right. nobody seems to be givin webb any respect by not givin them a chance to make it to state. They don't have depth or huge lineman but they do have some serious speed.

link to the article

No teams to worry about in the West? Let's not forget ECS, who has been the favorite to win it this year (and likely will be most years going forward) since the new Division II classes were announced.

And in the Middle/East, I would venture to say Knoxville Webb has probably been more of the people's choice all along, with or without this injury. I don't know what preseason coahces polls indicated, but ECS and Webb were the most logical choices to win Division II A going into this year.

No disrespect intended for DA, but the statement "...the reason they were going to win state" was rather presumptous. I think saying "...the reason they would have a small chance of winning state" would widely be considered more accurate, which is more of a testimony to the relative strength of the ECS and Webb programs in the new Division than it is a slam on DA.

Nicely stated as usual lol I like ECS for the simple fact that Blance is out for Webb. And unless something drastic happens, Webb and ECS will be at the top of the heap every year along followed by DA, DCA, USJ, and JCS.

But this is a shame seeing as he was just as good as any back in DII-AA. Hopefully he bounces back for his senior season.

link to the article

Knox Webb or ECS to win state before or after the injury. :thumb:

link to the article

I did say that i dont know much about the west region. I was just told that there was no one. I am not saying that there is no one and that ECS doesn't have a chance. I just have not heard about them this year.

My heart goes out to Justin. What a tough break for any HS kid. I know it's going to kill him to have to watch from the sidelines and kill his parents who are no doubt hurting for him. Prayers to you young man that you can rehab for a full recovery and not get too down that you can't appreciate the many ways I know you're surely blessed in life. It's probably tough to do so right now. What a treat (though I groaned as he ran all over us last year) to watch he and his line and the big ole blocking back make all those yards and TDs happen. Here's to a great year for you next year.

DA had a pretty tough defense last year with most returning. If that holds up they could still be a factor in the playoffs.

I believe I saw a post last week that noted Webb, DCA, DA, ECS, and USJ were likely the top 5 in DII-A. At this point, I would concur. DA having lost to DCA already may be 5th and may well drop a little from that spot with several teams from across the state having designs on the top 5. As good as Webb has shown up so far, I do think you'll see the winner of the ECS/USJ emerge as the likely opposition in a state final. ECS is real. ECS is big. ECS is real big...especially in DII-A. Harrison Jones the TE and Bama commit just toyed with one of our safeties in the end zone catching a TD pass...not quite as gracefully as Marlon Brown might have done it but with excellent body control and use of his strength. They also move quite well at the skills and at LB. I'm firmly convinced they are legit in DII-A and likely would be a legit contender in DII-AA this year if they were still there though MUS is far, far better than anybody else in the West in any division. From the reports here, Webb sounds smaller but might have a little more speed at RB but I'd think most anybody exposed to the whole state would say ECS is a legit contender to compete with them for the title.

I had the opportunity to cover two of Williams games on radio during his freshman and sophmore seasons when I did JCS games. Last season, he strapped his team on his back and he single handidly willed them to a 7 point win over JCS at DA. If I remember correctly, he had over 330 yards in that game alone. It was an absolutely incredible performance. It is one of the single best high school performances that I have ever witnessed. As I recall, he had around 150 yards as a freshmen in a loss at JCS.

Hopefully he will be able to rehab his knee and come back strong for his senior season. He is a really fine football player. There is no question that he can play at the next level.

I know the popular answer is to say that Davidson is done. Their defense is better than average and they have some young kids that can take carries...plus Justin's brother will be back on the field in 3 weeks...just before the playoffs. Davidson has the ability throw the ball also...but with Justin in the backfield, there was no need to do so

Paul Wade is a big game coach and I don't think any team wants to see them in the playoffs.

Davidson still has one of the best O-Lines in Div II

I know the popular answer is to say that Davidson is done. Their defense is better than average and they have some young kids that can take carries...plus Justin's brother will be back on the field in 3 weeks...just before the playoffs. Davidson has the ability throw the ball also...but with Justin in the backfield, there was no need to do so

Paul Wade is a big game coach and I don't think any team wants to see them in the playoffs.

Davidson still has one of the best O-Lines in Div II

I agree totally about the defense and the O-line. I don't believe we will be seeing much of Jordan the younger brother this year though. With him coming back so late in the season and it only being his freshmen year, I look for him to make the smarter decision by sitting this season out completely and being fully healed for next season. I am excited by the possibility of the pass though! It's been since the years of Charlie Jakes that we were really effective passing the football. Hopefully all works out well. Thoughts and prayers go out to Justin as well. Great kid with a great heart and I wish him the best of luck.