Jefferson County Baseball

counteroption

I've played with Lewis, EK, Collins, Jett, and several others through the middle school years and against them in high school so I'd say they have LOTS of experience playing together. I mean since 5th or 6th grade, they have been together so I know they have pretty good chemistry. I'm glad to hear that with Evan, just hope hes right. Spencer Holmes will be good. I've heard of him a time or two. Will the district be very strong for JeffCo?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff County played pretty good competition this summer over at Carson Newman and down at Cleveland a couple of times. Played at Pattersons some late but still played decent competition there. The teams they played in Cleveland were pure travel teams and I think they played about .500 ball in the tougher tournaments. Look for 2 sophmores to be tough on the mound this year in Paschal and Ballinger.

• 4 months later...

Coming up through the ranks and watching it closely since here is my honest opinion. Jefferson County will not win the district nor go far in the tournament again if they even make it. They have a coach that knows nothing about the game, an assist. coach that knows some about the game but has no backbone to stand up for the team and make decisions. I have watched them again this year play fair against lower ranked teams. They cannot compete with the elite teams once again. I know this will not set well with the players or parents but I have nothing to gain but give my honest opinion of what I know and see. When you have the middle of the infield riddled with errors, a third baseman afraid of the ball, and an outfield that will not take charge and catch fly balls this falls back on the coaches. There is good teams that would be setting a SS and 2B on the bench with such play. I would be finding me some players that can do the job. What puzzles me is this same group under Sinard only lost 4 games their soph year. They were fun to watch that year. Seems to me the smart thing to do would go back to his books and check his line up and field positions to find out why they were so successful that year. We are basically playing the same players those teams had then. I am deeply involved in baseball and I have seen this bunch since they were the Silver Eagles. I formed an opinion of them then when they tried to play AAA and Major tournaments in surrounding counties and would get run off the field and embarresed. They would struggle to win AA tournaments. Seemingly they were a team bought and paid for then and must be a team bought and paid for now. I've watched all the ones on this team play here and summer ball.There is talent on the bench that should be in the line up every day. I grew up in this good ole boy atmosphere and hated it then. As I sit and watch it outside the lines I hate it more. I see the damage it does to the players and our school. No one is developing the group behind this bunch either. Maybe when the coach leaves this year the board will have enough sense to get someone who knows baseball and will not worry what your last name is and who your parents are. He will have his work cut out. Here is hoping for the best.

I have not seen every game. I heard about the "play day" at Gibbs. I saw both games with East. JC was lucky to win the second one. I saw the game with Halls. I don't think we are at their level. I have heard there have been several errors. I think the previous poster makes some interesting points. I have hoped that many of the things he mentioned were not true. I had heard them before. However, as this season goes forward, I am afraid that some of what he says is true. A head coach or any coach for that matter should be independent of any parents or clubs or whatever. The best players should play. Other players should be worked with and played when possible. It is my understanding that the JV has only played games that have lasted 5 innings. I hope that is not the case the rest of the year. Maybe it was because the first couple of games were so cold.

Coming up through the ranks and watching it closely since here is my honest opinion. Jefferson County will not win the district nor go far in the tournament again if they even make it. They have a coach that knows nothing about the game, an assist. coach that knows some about the game but has no backbone to stand up for the team and make decisions. I have watched them again this year play fair against lower ranked teams. They cannot compete with the elite teams once again. I know this will not set well with the players or parents but I have nothing to gain but give my honest opinion of what I know and see. When you have the middle of the infield riddled with errors, a third baseman afraid of the ball, and an outfield that will not take charge and catch fly balls this falls back on the coaches. There is good teams that would be setting a SS and 2B on the bench with such play. I would be finding me some players that can do the job. What puzzles me is this same group under Sinard only lost 4 games their soph year. They were fun to watch that year. Seems to me the smart thing to do would go back to his books and check his line up and field positions to find out why they were so successful that year. We are basically playing the same players those teams had then. I am deeply involved in baseball and I have seen this bunch since they were the Silver Eagles. I formed an opinion of them then when they tried to play AAA and Major tournaments in surrounding counties and would get run off the field and embarresed. They would struggle to win AA tournaments. Seemingly they were a team bought and paid for then and must be a team bought and paid for now. I've watched all the ones on this team play here and summer ball.There is talent on the bench that should be in the line up every day. I grew up in this good ole boy atmosphere and hated it then. As I sit and watch it outside the lines I hate it more. I see the damage it does to the players and our school. No one is developing the group behind this bunch either. Maybe when the coach leaves this year the board will have enough sense to get someone who knows baseball and will not worry what your last name is and who your parents are. He will have his work cut out. Here is hoping for the best.

You are an idiot. The older group of the Silver Eagles team won 3 state championships in a row and finished 17th and 9th at the world series when they were together. The newest Silver Eagle team did not perform up to the level of the past group however, I think there are 2 players on varsity that have played for the most recent Silver Eagles. Most players from that team came from Morristown. You may be confusing the Silver Eagles with the Dandridge Eagles or whatever that joke of a team was.

The reason the JV was sucessful last year had a lot to do with Sinard i agree but, most of the JV teams they faced did not have the same number of sophomores on the team as we did. Any good Soph. would be on varsity for oposing teams and their JV consisted of mainly freshman.

As far as our infield and mainly SS goes he is a solid all around player. Majority of balls put in play involve the SS. Errors happen and it's the good players that can let it go and make up for the errors at the plate or defensively and ultimately help the team win. The team played average defense but the team still wins. As the season goes on the D will step it up and stay close with good teams.

Now, I dont know who is on the bench that you think should be starting everyday so please inform me because I cant wait to get a good laugh.

Following their 5 to 4 win over South Doyle Jeff is right in the hunt. Currently 2-2 in district play. The only 2 teams without losses are Sevier and West who opened against Cherokee and Cocke Co. These young men will be right in the thick of district race. They play hard and play together. Heart is the ball Hodge dove and caught, the hard slide into second by Parton or the dive by Lewis to tag out Kirkland coming on a ball that got away from him with what would have been the tying run. These are just few of the examples of how hard they play. GO PATRIOTS

Not a bad weekend for the Patriots in Beaver Creek Classic. Friday night got down 6 to 1 to Grainger to come back and win 9 to 8 in bottom of last inning and then Saturday morning beat Gibbs 5 to 4. Probably most impressive game was 15 to 11 loss to Oak Ridge because Jeff came back from 12 to 2 deficit to cut it to 12 to 11 before losing. A hard hitting team that never quits no matter the score. Good outings from young pitchers this weekend plus big hits from several players.

• 2 weeks later...

Through April 7th Jeff has played very well. They are 5-3 in conference and 12-5 overall. They suffered a tough loss to Cherokee but have bounced back with 5 straight wins and outscored opponents 69-20 in those wins. Hitting has been great need pitching to be more consistent. Next 3 conference foes Seymour, Sevier County and Morristown West.