Middle School Baseball

observer

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest slider2002

I just moved back to TN after coaching the past 16 years in FL. Middle school baseball was going strong when I got there and still is. As for a benefit I would say yes. The players get accustom to riding a bus to games to get them ready for High school baseball. But the main thing is more playing Time.

At this point in time, in East Tennessee, I don't see the point of playing Middle School Baseball. One, there are so few schools with teams, there would be a very limited schedule. While the middle schools are playing, the players could not play aabc, aau, usssa, etc. During a middle school season a summer team could be playing as many as 20-30 tournament games. Two, middle school plays on a regulation HS size field. Most middle school aged players play summer ball on 50/70 or 55/80 fields. There is too much difference in field sizes for the player to adjust to. A 12 year old player would have played spring and summer ball on a 50/70 field, fall ball on a 55/80 field, next spring on a middle school 60/90 field, then go back to a 55/80 field for summer ball! Most middle school aged players that I am aware of would have trouble pitching a fastball from 60 feet (It usually looks more like a rainbow curve!!)

I am all over both sides of this issue. First, I agree with the fact that it acclimates the player at an earlier age to the school travel atmosphere. But to equate baseball in March in TN vs. FLA is apples and oranges. That is one of my major concerns with middle school ball. Take cold weather, young arms (new to the "big field"), less knowledgeable coaches, mix well and you will get a lot of ruined arms. At the middle school in my area, the "feeder" little leagues are separate. You are asking a young middle school coach to be the first person to cull through basically 2 talent pools. This would probably discourage some kids from continuing, and anybody that follows athletics knows that some very good athletes develope later in their scholastic career. I do not think there is 1 answer to middle school ball. The answers are whatever it takes to have a sucessfull program for that age player to develop the most players as is possible. If the only way to accomplish this is through the middle school, go after it. If there is a strong spring/summer league, bust your butt to get the league as strong as possible. Not to get on a scholastic soap box but we now expect our schools to educate and we complain about how poorly that is going, don't expect these same schools to do a better job of preparing athletes at the developmental levels than what is already in place.

If done right middle school baseball could really be a great thing but there are problems.

1. Most middle schools do not have a field to practice on.

2. Coaching is average at best

3. In Middle Tennessee you only get to play around 15 games because you have so many rainouts in the Spring.

4. Only 1 public school (McMurray) in Davidson County has a team and the parents fund the program with no support from the school.

I guess I was a bit surprised, I just assumed that middle school baseball was statewide because we have it in Sullivan County. Our middle school team was comprised mostly of players that also play AABC. According to our AABC bylaws, AABC Koufax teams (13-14) cannot start until after middle school is over. The middle schools play only the other county middle schools, 8 games + tournament).

The middle school coach knew nothing about baseball, fortunately our guys had gotten excellent coaching during year of AABC and needed very little coacing.

Switching back and forth on distances does take a bit of time to adjust, but not much. I think it is every bit as appropraite to play middle school baseball as it is basketball or football. Unfortunately some or all of these may get wacked due to budget cuts.

I think that middle school baseball is the way to go! First of all, they finally get to play according to set rules such as making your grades, just like one would in high school. My team plays in a conference sanctioned by the TMSAA. Everything is great. I would agree that there are some problems especially with scheduling and facilities. But that is where the problem ends. These yound men get a dose of what it will be like in high school. They have to use the same bats, balls, and use the same dimensions on a baseball field. As for the coaching not being that great, it is better than all of the father-coaches that do it during the summer. I can assure you that all of the coaches in our conference are qualified and do a good job. I think it is a great thing and all middle schools in Tennessee should offer it. As for money, most sports programs have to fund raise anyway, so why would another sport be any different.

Guest slider2002

After talking to a Middle School Asst. Principal about baseball at there school. He said that he would be all for it IF there was a baseball field on his campus. Because the way it is at his school the players would have to be bused to practice every day. And trying to schedule games at a public ball park is not a whole lot of fun. So there are a lot of unseen problems that each school would have to face. But I still hope that it can happen some day.

The Sullivan county school board made these changes yesterday.

Among cuts approved:

"$114,000 in coaching supplements. The move will cut middle school baseball and softball programs. "That's the one that will have the least impact on our children ,because "community programs are strong in that area.''

I have a real hard time seeing how 8 couny schools add up to this amount of savings because I know how little the coaching supplements are.

04netndad, that is my point. Young arms playing 8+ tourn in what is usually cold weather being prepared by someone with no experience is inviting injured arms (among other injuries). When Middle Schools are playing, their idols (pro players) are in FLA and ARIZ training. I'm not against the md schools playing, I just want what is best for these kids to have a chance to develope and I don't see the benefits outweighing the physical costs for the kids.