Middle School Baseball

observer

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest slider2002

By playing middle school baseball you are not inviting arm injuries. Yes, schools need a coach that knows something about the game, and something about how to develop young players both physically & mentally. But I would want this for my kid at all levels of play. I hate seeing people who think they are baseball coaches just because they watch it on TV or read a book. These are the one's that hurt our young ball players.

I have been in this sport now for 30 years (playing, coaching, scouting). I love this game! To me there is none better. So I see Middle School Baseball as a great place for our baseball players of the future to develop.

[Edited by slider2002 on 9-26-02 11:56A]

If your involvement in baseball for all those years was around here, then we have probably met through those years. It is not the middle school I'm worried about, it's the weather (cold) they play in. You give me a middle school program in May and I'll be one of the first on the band wagon. Kids that have the desire (and talent) can play as much baseball as they want in 13 and over leagues all over this state and the southeast. Playing in Feb. and March at that age is pushing it a little too far in my opinion. I know what trying to pitch in 40 degree weather in late February is like. I know how my arm felt afterwards, but I was also 19 and a freshman in college.

People are always ready to complain about coaches. I myself have been guilty of it at times. But just think, if these people who don't know anythink did not coach who would. Qualified coaches are not knocking down doors to coach right now. They just aren't there. Be thankful that someone is willing to donate their time just so the kids can play. Middle school teams that have "unqualified" coaches are usually more than willing to take help. If you want to make a differnece in a program take the classes that TSSAA offers and become a non-faculty coach.

Personally, I think that these young men's arms will be fine. If the coach works in a good throwing program, then there should not be a problem. Remember, we are talking about kids 12 to 14 years old. They will bounce back. I for one will not let my kids throw any off speed pitch until they have thrown at least 2 to 3 weeks. If a coach uses common sense, then the kids will be fine. I am a proponent of middle school baseball, because I am not sold on the summer programs in the middle Tennessee area. I think at middle school age that too many kids are playing in Momma'a league. The mound is not 60 ft., 6 inches, and the bases are not 90 feet. These kids should be learning and playing the game the way it should be.

They don't all "bounce back". You speak of 13 and 14 yr olds as if they are adults. I'm sorry but you need to go back to anatomy class and figure out when most of a human male's growth occurs. Also, in most mid-TN leagues that I'm aware of 13 and over are on the "big field". If the middle school has the "team" for that area, a local "momma's league" will cease to exist. So who is to say at 13 yrs of age who the players are? You get rid of the "momma's leagues" and watch baseball in your area fall flat.

I have coached this age group for years and I know that with the right program they will "bounce back". As for momma'a leagues, I am not totally bashing them. I think any baseball is better than none. But in the middle tennessee area that i am familiar with, middle school age kids play in a league that does not use high school regulations. I just think that acclimating these youngsters to high school coniditions can only be beneficial, and not hurtful. I would not coach this age group if I thought I was hurting a middle school age player. Done right, middle school baseball is a good thing. That is all I am saying.

As a person who has coached both middle school, high school and summer league baseball I feel that the greatest advantage to middle school baseball is the fact that these teams are comprised of the same kids that will play high school ball together. Sometimes a summer league team that is comprised of kids from different school gives you a false sense of how good your kid is. Middle school school ball gives you a preview of what the high school program will look like and what areas need to be addressed (i.e. lack of pitching, speed, etc. at your school.) :o

I understand your point, but (you knew there was going to be a but) as a coach at varying levels, do you not agree that there have been many kids that developed at a later time and conversely, some kids that were young phenoms failed to get much better?

What I am leading to is that we are blessed with baseball where many kids are involved at older ages. No other sport enjoys this participation level at this age (other than soccer-and I don't want to open that can of worms). I guess Mr. Spock would see this as the needs of the many vs. the needs of the few.

To address the high school regulations vs. summer league regulations, the main issue issue bat size/weight differential. You want to tell me that a 12 year old little leaguer swinging a -10.0 (LLWS kids were using less than that) to a -3.0 as a 13 yr old is necessary? By your point, ballhawk we need to go back to wood. That is the level we want to ultimately get these boys to is it not?

By the way, I'd love to see High School go to wood. No reason other than I'd love to see it (and hear it).

[Edited by frozenroper on 9-27-02 11:32A]

I think that wood would be good, but very expensive for middle school baseball. Using -3 differential is tough on them, but with work they can do well. I think it just take getting used to the bat. Yes, bad habits can form, but that is where coaching comes in. If you really work with the boys, bad habits can be avoided. There are pitfall to middle school baseball somewhat, but the pluses definitely outweigh the minuses. Good thread!

Just so you know, I'm looking for some new angles to help with the principal at my younger son's middle school. My older son went through without a team although several parent attempts to sway him did not work. My line of contention through this thread has been his point of view, most of the replies I've either said or heard said to him. If I can only find a way to make heck freeze over we got him in a corner.

[Edited by frozenroper on 9-27-02 1:46P]

Most of it is going to come down to money. You need to be able to show your principal that the program would be able to fund itself. Either with a booster club or other fund raisers. Secondly you need to find a coach that will coach for free or for next to nothing. You really need someone in the school system that can keep tabs on the players day to day, but vol. coaches are great. The big thing with starting a baseball team is... they are going to have to have a girls softball team also. (Title9) Which means more money and more coaches.

The second largest factor is facilities.

If you have both of those things taken care of, you should be able to get the program started. Don't just talk with the principal, talk with the director of schools and with the school board. Talk with the high school coaches, most of them would love a feeder program in the middle schools, let them have input in your program.