Middle School Baseball

observer

Guest slider2002

Your right forgot about TITLE 9. :x That will add to the $$$ needed. But, I think that if the right people wanted it you could have both middle school baseball and softball. Hope we can see it happen!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish it were that easy softballer. I'm in my fifth year with a student at this school. The efforts were there prior to my boys getting there. The federal gov't would be proud of this school. Girls' sports are 1 up on boys' sports and yes, this has been brought up also. The board position is that the final word is with the pricipal. This is the largest middle school in the county. Several of the smaller middle schools have baseball. The principal's primary stance is that there is no fundamental improvement of a young athlete by the school offering baseball vs. the existing spring/summer leagues.

No ballhawk, cheatham co. is not the place. And thanks for the offer slider, but we've worked that angle, too. We've had past and present pro players and coaches, the HS coach, parent groups, petitions, you name it. It's a fight we'll keep waging locally. There has been just a crack of daylight with a new faculty member that is very interested and is willing to take on the necessary faculty sponsor role (isn't it great to be young and willing to buck the system). The principal has viewed this thread (at least he spoke as if he had) so you never know.

The same could be said about football also. Just about everyone has JR, Pro teams now. I don't know why the principal would concern himself about player development. That is not his place to judge that. If enough parents complain to the school board something will get done. They are elected officals of the people!!! Get a petition started. Have people in each district talk to their own school board member one on one. Go to school board meeting and bring the situation up in public. Use your local newspaper if you feel like this is something worth fighting for.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I love this game. I want kids to play it in t-ball, pee-wee, little league, babe ruth, middle school, AABC , high school , and anywhere else they can. East Tennessee's weather is tough. But last time I checked High School teams are playing in late Feb. early May here too. If school boards are going to cut middle school programs for money, and folks are going to keep their kids out of baseball leagues then don't wonder why football is now our national pastime. (it's the ugly truth). And as far as "unqualified" coaches go...Show me a little league or AABC league that doesn't have "unqualified"="somebody's daddy out to make junior a shortstop/pitching star" coaches in there and I will be impressed.

Someone should explain to that Principal how a middle school baseball team could help HIM. 8th grade boys get just a little rambunctious during the spring when they know they are "short-timers" at that school. If they played on a baseball team until early May then at least some of those boys could be controlled by the discipline of a good coach! and if that don't work...run for the school board!