Class A Playoff Bracketology

I am not sure if MAHS can go to the playoffs anyway. Dont think they are playing a full varsity schedule since they just started the football program, but I could be wrong.

According to TSSAA.org they can.

This is taken from the District 16 playoff scenerios -

1A--In order to become playoff eligible the team has to finish 1st or 2nd in the final district standings. 2A--The team that finishes the highest in the final district standings becomes playoff eligible. If the two 2A schools finish 1st and 2nd in the final district standings both become playoff eligible

District 16 is going to royally screw a wild card team in 1A or 2A.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your seedings but I don't see Huntingdon being placed in that quadrant simply due to travel distance. UC and Huntingdon will be in the same quadrant.

I really hope JB, WC & Huntingdon aren't all put together. If that happens then UC or SP will have it very easy all the way into the Championship. The way I see the top 5 right now: 1. SP 2. Huntingdon 3. JB 4. UC 5. WC. This could change if Perry County or Collinwood beats WC and that could happen.

It would really be tough for JB, WC, or Huntington to pull through that many tough games before the championship.

I agree with your seedings but I don't see Huntingdon being placed in that quadrant simply due to travel distance. UC and Huntingdon will be in the same quadrant.

I really hope JB, WC & Huntingdon aren't all put together. If that happens then UC or SP will have it very easy all the way into the Championship. The way I see the top 5 right now: 1. SP 2. Huntingdon 3. JB 4. UC 5. WC. This could change if Perry County or Collinwood beats WC and that could happen.

It would really be tough for JB, WC, or Huntington to pull through that many tough games before the championship.

JB, WC, and Huntington will not be in the same quadrant if they all win their district. The reason is that all three will earn a 1st round bye and you can't have 3 first round byes in the same quadrant. It's going to be just like years past...

I don't really understand this new way of doing things. What does Perry co have to do in district 11 to get into the playoffs?

1 of 3 things:

1. Finish 1 or 2 in their district

2. Finish in the top half of their class in their district. So in other words, separate the 1A teams from the 2A teams in the district and rank the teams according to how they finished the district. If they're in the top half then they're in.

3. Get in as a wildcard based on their overall record. In this case, Perry Co.'s record will be compared with all the remaining teams in 1A (playoffs 1A). If there's 6 wildcard spots and their record ranks in the top 6 then they are in.

Now that is the generic version. Here's Perry Co.'s actual chances:

If they finish 1 or 2 in the district they're in. Now if that doesn't happen you have to look at option 2 above. When we separate the 1A teams in D11 from the 2A teams we have:

Wayne Co.

Collinwood

Cornersville

Perry Co.

Columbia Academy

That's 5 teams in class 1A (D11) and the top half will automatically qualify. TSSAA says if there are 5 teams in your class, "the top half" means 2 teams not 3. Now the way D11 is shaping up, all the 2A teams are in the cellar of D11. This means that more than likely two 1A teams will finish 1 & 2. If this happens, there's really no need to look at option 2 because we already know who the top teams are. So it looks to me like PC will have to finish either 1 or 2 in their district to automatically qualify this year. If they don't finish 1 or 2 then they have to hope for a wild card. The number of wild cards who qualify depends on how many automatic qualifiers there are. If 1 1A teams automatically qualify then there will be 6 wildcard teams. The wildcards are chosen by lumping all the remaining "non-automatic qualifiers" in their class together and then ranking them based on their overall record. If there are six wildcards then PC's record needs to rank in the top 6. As of now, they would be ranked in the top 6.

Union City would be on their side as well...Not on South Pittsburgs...I mean it does not matter cause I do not think we would have a problem with them but I am just saying they would be on the west half of the bracket...

I am not sure if MAHS can go to the playoffs anyway. Dont think they are playing a full varsity schedule since they just started the football program, but I could be wrong.

According to TSSAA.org they can.

This is taken from the District 16 playoff scenerios -

1A--In order to become playoff eligible the team has to finish 1st or 2nd in the final district standings. 2A--The team that finishes the highest in the final district standings becomes playoff eligible. If the two 2A schools finish 1st and 2nd in the final district standings both become playoff eligible

District 16 is going to royally screw a wild card team in 1A or 2A.

That pretty much sums it up!

my predictions SP wins the gold ball dont see anybody in 1A coming close to beating them they have had a very tough schedule and easily handled some good 2A teams SM, Cascade,MC,and have boyd coming up and put the rule on the 10th ranked 4A team central and have polk county coming at the end of the season dont see any 1A teams standing a chance