Beech vs Gallatin

wideright00

Thunderlips, tradition at Gallatin also consists of having a winning record almost every season and qualifying for the postseason quite often. Beech can't and never will be able to say that.

Brown Poison 37, tradition at Gallatin consists of having a winning record almost every season, qualifying for the postseason, and then losing early in the playoffs. That is Gallatin's tradition lately.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were is all of this tradition talk comign from? Heres a little multiple choice question:

If you were to rename the mascot for Gallatin what would be the best choice?

A. Oragami

B. Coleman (as in tents)

C. Fresh Linen

D. Fat person's legs

I agree with Goldust, the only tradition in Gallatin is folding late in the game. Maybe Dan Reeves could come in there next and try to win the big one. TSSAA still investigating '92, some sort of recruting violation? At least Beech has class.

This is simple. Those who have never been to the top can only feel good about themselves by trying to bring others down. It is much easier to stay at the bottom of the mountain and look up than to actually climb and risk falling. Enjoy the view from down there, you should be comfortable there by now.

This is simple. Those who have never been to the top can only feel good about themselves by trying to bring others down. It is much easier to stay at the bottom of the mountain and look up than to actually climb and risk falling. Enjoy the view from down there, you should be comfortable there by now.

13, you're so right on with what you said. However, stop living in the past. What has Gallatin accomplished in the last 15 years? What are you going to do to climb the mountain again? Your mountain may not be as steep as the mountain some other programs have, but you're not exactly looking down at everybody either. I would think that regularly having a winning record would be the goal of a program with three state titles and three state runner-up finishes. I would think they'd want to be sitting back atop that mountain. Despite some really good regular seasons, Gallatin hasn't even been close.

And I agree with you also eyeonu. I don't think that the people of Gallatin have been the ones to point out the past, until someone calls them out who has no past. But I still agree with you. Gallatin's history is so good, the success of some of the most recent teams really goes unnoticed. Many schools would love to have 10-0, 9-1 or 8-2 regular seasons. But in some places, that just isn't really good enough. I would say that similar things have happened at other schools such as Oak Ridge, MBA, Riverdale (right now), and even Brentwood Academy after Flatt left. It is an all or nothing mentality. But it is a good problem to have. I would think that most schools would be ok with having the problem. Just don't know that the people without the successful history should be the ones to point out shortcomings. But hey, who said life was fair.

graider1976, what on God's green earth are you talking about?! Gallatin is a family atmosphere like most schools in this area. Yeah everybody has their unruly fans and oddballs, but come on that is pathetic. Your comments make you sound like one of the unruly fans I have to put up with at a game. And to all those who say Gallatin will quit and they have no tradition, your class is appalling. For one, I think any logical person knows that Gallatin teams don't just quit; no matter the coacht, the team, or the year. And secondly, it is because of the success that Gallatin has had that makes it possible for all you naysayers to have something to talk about. Gallatin may not have won a gold ball since '92 and the playoff records in past 5 years or so may be down, but when your expectations are as high as they are here (much like Trousdale Co., Maryville, Oak Ridge, Melrose, etc.) then anything other than a state championship is considered a failure.

Gallatin has a nice football tradition, but it is aging like the dusty old state championship trophies in the trophy case. The last Gallatin players to win a state championship could have kids playing on this team. Over the last 8.5 seasons, Hendersonville has won twice as many playoff games as Gallatin. White House has won three times as many playoff games and has a higher winning percentage. Station Camp has won as many playoff games during the last 3.5 seasons as Gallatin has during the last 8.5 seasons. It's funny how when your neighbors catch and pass you, you have to fall back on the 'ol "tradition" line.

Having said that, I think Gallatin beats Beech by 2 td's. Just give the tradition line a rest and come join the rest of us in this century.

Uh "tandem", or whoever you are, no one from Gallatin even brought up tradition until it was basically thrown in the garbage can by some people on here. I realize its a good way to stir a bee's nest so to speak, but as far as your numbers, they can be deceiving. SC has the same number of wins as Gallatin, but half of theirs came last year. (Not to mention Gallatin would surely have more playoff wins coming in 2003-had to forfeit 5 games because of a player that was later declared eligible, and in 2006 when the team when undefeated in the regular season, lost their starting qb in the 2nd to last game, and drew Ravenwood the state runner up that year in the first round.) With all that said I know how excuses can sound so I'll stop. One final thought, I don't think you can say "the neighbors" have passed Gallatin in anything until they have a state championship. White House is probably the only one even with Gallatin at the present time.

As I read some of these posts, it amazes me how a topic can start off having a real discussion of the game, then the topic boils down to trash talking and cutting down one school's program over another. According to what I've read on here, only 3 posters (Thunder00, Golddust281 and Rapid John) are predicting a Beech victory, while most everyone else is predicting Gallatin to win. So, I don't think anyone is disrespecting the Green Wave. I wish the discussion could get back to the strengths and weaknesses of the teams, not all this other "talk".

Knowing both schools programs and history, Gallatin fans have a lot to be proud of and most schools would love to have that tradition and expectations. I don't know where the poster came up with the quitting in the 4th informaton. Having observed many a Gallatin game over the last several years, Gallatin will do anything but quit. Coach Lassiter runs a class program as does Coach Crabtree. IMO, Beech with Coach Crabtree is working on their own tradition. They had a great year last year and have, unexpectedly, followed it up with a very workman like season when no one expected anything but a rebuilding year for them. They have improved with each game, but will need to continue that climb as they head into these last three weeks. As far as the poster bringing up the Portland scoring 16 points on Beech's defense they apparently didn't watch the game. The first score was by Portland's defense recovering and scoring on a called lateral and the second score was on the 2nd/3rd teamers late in the game.

This game, IMO, is a toss up. Both teams want it, especially with the playoff system so confusing, you need to win to make sure you're in. Field conditions could play a part, but that is unavoidable. I wish the field would be firm and dry to take it out of the equation and let the teams play it out. I'm looking forward to a hard fought game tomorrow night. I'll now get off my soapbox.

Finally some good ole trash talk to go with a big game. I have been missing this!

Sportsobserver, you are absolutely correct. Crabtree has done an excellent job this year.

To the rest of you Shackle Island trashtalkers....Gallatin is 20-2 all time against Beech....that ain't tradition....that is fact!