Tennessean: Ensworth Star May be Next John Henderson

TheBigRedDog

Wolaver's reason for not signing the release was pretty simple and actually quite honorable. The release stated that Antonio was going for academic reasons and Wolaver refused to sign hi =s name to something that he felt was a lie.

I wonder how many kids that Faith Hill would drive to Mt.Pleasant to ask the principal to sign the release for. A 5-5 saxophone player, maybe. :roflolk:

Ensworth even sent a bus for awhile, to pick him up. 50-mile ride for a math whiz, maybe. :flower:

The people in Mt. Pleasant understand why he left and would have done the same for their kids if they could. Their kids aren't the next John Henderson, though. They just don't care for outsiders trying to blow smoke up their behinds while passing judgment on them.

Drive down to Mt. Pleasant this weekend and ask around. Bet Antonio is there.

So Ensworth isn't academically better than Mt. Pleasant? I'm not totally oblivious to the situation athletics were probably a big reason why Antonio wanted to transfer but a lot of DII schools provide a great education with a great athletic program made up with the State's best coaches and facilities.

Academics is a big reason why Antonio's dad wanted him to attend Ensworth and his Dad is the one the drives Antonio to school and from school after every practice.

I see that you believe that Ensworth only gives financial aid based on athletic performance. That's not true at all, there are many kids that attend Ensworth including saxophone players that are not attending Ensworth because of their athletic resources. They too can take the bus that you think you know about from the Ensworth Lower School to EHS that is available to all students.

I think Ensworth is a great opportunity for Antonio--but I believe it would have been a fabulous oportunity for his brother too. How can they justify taking one without the other--unless it is the massive size and athletic opportunity? Did they offer the younger brother the same financial aid package? Nope!!

Antonio's dad should have plenty of time to drive him where-ever he needs to go. I've known him for over thirty years and he hasn't held a job for more than a few months at a time in all that time. He plans to ride the coat-tails of a child he didn't spend time with for the first 15 years of his life. Talk about exploitation!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolaver's reason for not signing the release was pretty simple and actually quite honorable. The release stated that Antonio was going for academic reasons and Wolaver refused to sign hi =s name to something that he felt was a lie.

I wonder how many kids that Faith Hill would drive to Mt.Pleasant to ask the principal to sign the release for. A 5-5 saxophone player, maybe. :thumb:

Ensworth even sent a bus for awhile, to pick him up. 50-mile ride for a math whiz, maybe. :shock:

The people in Mt. Pleasant understand why he left and would have done the same for their kids if they could. Their kids aren't the next John Henderson, though. They just don't care for outsiders trying to blow smoke up their behinds while passing judgment on them.

Drive down to Mt. Pleasant this weekend and ask around. Bet Antonio is there.

So Ensworth isn't academically better than Mt. Pleasant? I'm not totally oblivious to the situation athletics were probably a big reason why Antonio wanted to transfer but a lot of DII schools provide a great education with a great athletic program made up with the State's best coaches and facilities.

Academics is a big reason why Antonio's dad wanted him to attend Ensworth and his Dad is the one the drives Antonio to school and from school after every practice.

I see that you believe that Ensworth only gives financial aid based on athletic performance. That's not true at all, there are many kids that attend Ensworth including saxophone players that are not attending Ensworth because of their athletic resources. They too can take the bus that you think you know about from the Ensworth Lower School to EHS that is available to all students.

I think Ensworth is a great opportunity for Antonio--but I believe it would have been a fabulous oportunity for his brother too. How can they justify taking one without the other--unless it is the massive size and athletic opportunity? Did they offer the younger brother the same financial aid package? Nope!!

Antonio's dad should have plenty of time to drive him where-ever he needs to go. I've known him for over thirty years and he hasn't held a job for more than a few months at a time in all that time. He plans to ride the coat-tails of a child he didn't spend time with for the first 15 years of his life. Talk about exploitation!

1. Wow. Exploitation. This has gone too far. I know Antonio's dad and that is crap.

2. Who is really arguing that EHS was not interested in his playing ability? Of course they were but Antonio found EHS before he found them. EHS like many Division II schools recruit themselves.

3. I personally don't know anything about his brother and I understand you're argument. Well why isn't every kid who plays football for a public school not getting recruited? They will treat his brother like anyone else. If he is not willing to comply with Ensworth's academic standards like Antonio is doing right now then he will not receive a financial aid package.

If the dad has changed his life--then it has been in the last year and a half. If he is being a great father--that's a new one too. If it is true--I'm tickled for both Antonio and him. I don't trust the change--remember--I've known him for over 30 years--your time with him is probably much shorter. I've been friends with the dad's family most of my life.

Maybe exploitation is too harsh a word. The last time I spoke to Antonio he was happy--that is all that matters at this point.

Based on some comments, ya'll should actually visit Ensworth during the school day. There are a lot of incredibly non-athletic musicians that go about 5'5" 120 lbs and run a 6.0 40 tripping over their own feet all around that place. Don't think it's all about football. Have you seen the theater in comparison with the football field?

Based on some comments, ya'll should actually visit Ensworth during the school day. There are a lot of incredibly non-athletic musicians that go about 5'5" 120 lbs and run a 6.0 40 tripping over their own feet all around that place. Don't think it's all about football. Have you seen the theater in comparison with the football field?

Some of these people you are trying to argue with don't know what a theater is :rolleyes:

I hope we can put this to rest soon. What is it that makes people so mad about these things? No one forced this kid to go to Ensworth. He wasn't hauled away from Mt. Pleasant kicking and screaming. He left because he and his dad wanted him to do so. He states that he is happier, that there are more African-American kids there, that the facilities are better, that he is getting a lot of close academic attention, and that the athletic coaching is good. This is not to slight Mr. Pleasant, it is just what he and his dad report. So why are people mad? If I read the replies here correctly, and all the inferences, it is because a really good athlete was lost to Mt. Pleasant. That's it. For some of these people, this young man was just a big dude who could play ball for Mt. Pleasant. There has been far too little "I'm really happy for this kid that he had this chance, and took it. I wish him well." And yes, there a whole lot of kids who come from far distances to Ensworth, kids who aren't 6' 6", who aren't athletes. They fit in well, too, and some of them get scholarships, and some of the friends and parents they "left behind" are actually proud of them and happy for them.

I hope we can put this to rest soon. What is it that makes people so mad about these things? No one forced this kid to go to Ensworth. He wasn't hauled away from Mt. Pleasant kicking and screaming. He left because he and his dad wanted him to do so. He states that he is happier, that there are more African-American kids there, that the facilities are better, that he is getting a lot of close academic attention, and that the athletic coaching is good. This is not to slight Mr. Pleasant, it is just what he and his dad report. So why are people mad? If I read the replies here correctly, and all the inferences, it is because a really good athlete was lost to Mt. Pleasant. That's it. For some of these people, this young man was just a big dude who could play ball for Mt. Pleasant. There has been far too little "I'm really happy for this kid that he had this chance, and took it. I wish him well." And yes, there a whole lot of kids who come from far distances to Ensworth, kids who aren't 6' 6", who aren't athletes. They fit in well, too, and some of them get scholarships, and some of the friends and parents they "left behind" are actually proud of them and happy for them.

Good points, I am just jealous that he did not choose BGA and now my kid has to play against him.

I was rolling along--believing what you said--right up until you made the statement that there were more African-Americans at Ensworth than at MPHS. I don't believe that. I also think you might be missing the point. We aren't mad that we lost an athlete--Antonio didn't play much football until high school--we lost a great kid. Where was Ensworth when he was in elementary school and couldn't play Pop Warner Football because was too big? We are proud and happy-------and feel robbed!

Some of these people you are trying to argue with don't know what a theater is :rolleyes:

Mt. Pleasant's Middle School is a school of the visual and performing arts---MPMSVPA!!

Most of us have seen some fabulous performances and understand drama and theatre.

I was rolling along--believing what you said--right up until you made the statement that there were more African-Americans at Ensworth than at MPHS. I don't believe that. I also think you might be missing the point. We aren't mad that we lost an athlete--Antonio didn't play much football until high school--we lost a great kid. Where was Ensworth when he was in elementary school and couldn't play Pop Warner Football because was too big? We are proud and happy-------and feel robbed!

I have no idea what the racial balance is at ensworth. I will say that "EHS Parents'" posts are always reasonable and seem to hold up well under scrutiny.

There's a point that gets missed in the discussion over whether Ensworth (or any of the other Pariahs in Div II) would be interested in a 5-5 kid with no athletic interests. Mr. Richardson's skills were on display on a football field where presumably most of Mt. Pleasant could see him. Someone in that crowd recommended his family look into Ensworth, and the rest is history. Here's where the analogy breaks down. The 5-5 kid is a 14 year old math whiz, and his or her endeavors occur in a classroom, and the only people who are aware of the talent are his teachers. They are hardly likely to recommend that he go elsewhere. That would be the equivalent of the Mt. Pleasant line coach recommending young Mr. Richardson go to Ensworth.

Along the same lines, would there be a lot of outrage if one of your 5-5 nerdy kids left Mt. Pleasant to go to Ensworth? I'm guessing you wouldn't feel nearly so offended, if you even noticed.

Where was Ensworth when he was too big to play Pop Warner football? Right where it is now, just waiting for students to express an interest. Doing anything else would be recruiting.

I have no idea what the racial balance is at ensworth. I will say that "EHS Parents'" posts are always reasonable and seem to hold up well under scrutiny.

There's a point that gets missed in the discussion over whether Ensworth (or any of the other Pariahs in Div II) would be interested in a 5-5 kid with no athletic interests. Mr. Richardson's skills were on display on a football field where presumably most of Mt. Pleasant could see him. Someone in that crowd recommended his family look into Ensworth, and the rest is history. Here's where the analogy breaks down. The 5-5 kid is a 14 year old math whiz, and his or her endeavors occur in a classroom, and the only people who are aware of the talent are his teachers. They are hardly likely to recommend that he go elsewhere. That would be the equivalent of the Mt. Pleasant line coach recommending young Mr. Richardson go to Ensworth.

Along the same lines, would there be a lot of outrage if one of your 5-5 nerdy kids left Mt. Pleasant to go to Ensworth? I'm guessing you wouldn't feel nearly so offended, if you even noticed.

Where was Ensworth when he was too big to play Pop Warner football? Right where it is now, just waiting for students to express an interest. Doing anything else would be recruiting.

Are you a lawyer? Because you make one heck of a good and convincing bipartisan argument. Bravo on the good post.