Davidson Academy vs. Knox Webb

oline

The mouthing, according to Davidson players, began when a Webb coach made a comment about Davidson having turned on the sprinkler system in order to slow down Webb's team speed. For those that don't know Coach Wade personally, this was a huge smack in the face. He takes as much pride in his field as any coach in the area (going as far as not even letting the football team practice on the practice field as of late and making them practice in the front yard of the school). The fact can't be helped that Middle Tennessee just went through a record September for rain fall and have had plenty during October, including a rain storm the night before and morning of the game. So the class issue could be argued either way, such as I could say "I can't believe that a team made the drive down from Knoxville (more than likely through rain) and was taken good care of by the host Davidson and had the audacity to make a comment about the field to the coach. Even after realizing the rain situation, how classless!"

Now, as for the game. Number five from Webb is as advertised, obvious speed, moves, and ability. I can't believe that he doesn't factor into more of Webb's offense (Tennessean has him with 4 rushes and 2 receptions but yet he accounted for all 3 Webb scores (one a kick-off return)).

Having said that, BIG COACH WADE and the Davidson Bears took it straight to the Spartans. I would love to see time of possession and number of plays for each team during this game because Davidson OWNED the football. If you take away Blance's two offensive TD's, Webb had below 100 yards of offense for the game. Losing Justin Williams was a huge blow for the Bears, but make no mistake, Dixon is a very capable back-up (36 for 161 and 2 TDs) .This line that Davidson has is an excellent small school line and completely dominated the trenches all night. The pass was also very effective for Davidson as they used it very sparingly but did have the one 47 yard TD pass. And the defense, oh you forgot about the defense, well the D led by 9 seniors is very much so a championship caliber defense (i mean they already won it last year with essentially this very squad). The line of scrimmage was controlled by the same Seniors for Davidson on this side of the ball as when they had it.

The special teams last night was a low spot for the Bears as they basically allowed for two touchdowns. They gave up the kick return (but yes, as said earlier, #5 is a player) but on a punt in the 3rd quarter on 4th and 15+ there was a hold allowing the Spartans to go for it on 4th and much shorter which they threw a TD pass on.

Again, its sad that a team can't play a good game and be excited about it (I mean they are the defending state champs, how can they not be the team to beat???) without someone getting involved with the classless comments. It's odd how the winning team hardly ever complains about things such as class and officiating and other such things while the losing team seems to nearly always dwell on these matters.

I would like to congratulate Davidson on a great game and a great win. I also wish the best for Webb. Hopefully the remainder of the season plays out so that these two squads can have another opportunity to bang heads.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmm, you guys must not have been at the same game that I was at because that heavy set coach charging the Webb staff at mid field after the game and being held back by some of the Davidson staff was really hard to miss. What he did was un-called for. I can tell you that his actions warrant disciplinary action by the school at the very, very least. He is supposed to be a leader and roll model on and off of the field for those students and that certainly isn't what was displayed. If he can't handle being held accountable for his actions then he's in the wrong line of work. Their side of the field looked nothing like the Webb side yet it was just nature??? Come on give us a break folks it's sad that's what you have to do to win these days. I think that was the first time in over 40 years I've seen a spiked ball to stop the clock get a penaly for delay of game (with around 2 and a half minutes to go in the game I might ad). Oh, and the locker room down in the flooded corner of the field that you provided at halftime for the Webb guys-real classy. Bottom line and the point of me even making a comment here is that the actions of the Davidson coach were real reckless and dangerous. At the end of an emotionally charged game to charge at opposing coaches in front of both teams was just stupid. Those kids are naturally going to defend their coaching staffs and of course the parents will defend the kids. His actions could have started a major brawl.....thank God they didn't, no one got hurt, and at least his players displayed a little class there (as well as the Webb players) when that heavy set coach from Davidson was displaying poor judgement and sportsmanship for all to see at mid field.

Davidson was a good team but not the better team in my opinion (I've seen Webb play before last night although I haven't seen Davidson this year before tonight). Webb hurt themselves tonight way more effectively then Davidson did. Both teams had players that played well though. The running back for Davidson (#2 very powerful runner) and their defensive line was the difference for Davidson. The freshman running back for Webb (Blance) was very good and #33 (Waters) for Webb had 15 or more solo tackles. Good job to those guys. Good luck to both teams. Davidson Coach: Hold yourself to as high a standards as you do your players and parents.

Stated, could you please explain to me exactly which side of the playing surface is yours. You said that your side was watered down while the davidson side appeared dryer. What benefit is involved here?? Your statement makes no sense! The sidelines have nothing to do with the playing field. If you were at the game last night then you realized that the field is cut out of the side of a hill. The visitors side gets flooded (because of the hill behind it) while the home side drains down the other side of the hill. Its crazy to think that someone would believe Coach Wade would destroy his own field. Come on! And to say that Knox Webb was the better team???

Final stats:

Webb 196 Total Yards (with big plays of 66 and 47 yards). They finished the game with 58 yards rushing after a 66 yard TD rush earlier. I believe this is called dominating an offense! Webb finished with 35 Total Plays

Davidson 308 Total Yards (with a big play of 47 yards). Davidson controlled the ball the entire game and that ought to be acknowledged. The Bears finished with 65 Total Plays

It's not Knox Webb hurt themselves more effectively, its Davidson stopped them very effectively. And if you noticed the same delay of game was called on Davidson earlier in the game. When the ball is snapped before it is chopped into play by the referee it is a delay of game. An awkward situation yes, but the right call both times, definetly.

this is all I have to say about the exchange of words at the DA- Webb game. One of the coaches from Webb Slapped Coach Wade's hand away and said something to him. I saw this because I was lucky enough to know one of the DA players older brother and got to watch the game from near the sideline. I personally saw the hand get smacked so before you all start jumping on coach Paul Wade maybe you should talk to Webb Coaches for being CLASSLESS like some other post have said. I think that the fact that losing fans and coaches have to find the stupidest reasons to complain. As far as the celebation if i was a DA player I would have celebrated to you just beet an undefeated team that not a single person in the news media thought you were going to beat. I thiought the Webb kids were very well mannered and nice. As well as the DA kids. Maybe we as adults should just shut up and let the kids do the talking on the field........

The Webb sideline being flooded had a lot to do with it. If the Davidson team was standing in about 3 inches of mud the entire game weighing down their shoes you would be complaining as well. To say that it was stupid and had nothing to do with it is nieve on your part and you must not have ever played the game.

In regards to the Webb coaches being "classless" they are anything but that and it's funny you saw something no one else there did. The Webb coaches responded as they should have which was to get away from that nut and get their kids out of there before the heavy set coach who acts without any regard for others around him or their safety got someone hurt. I'm sure the Webb parents are glad he isn't one of theirs.

Now our Coach acts

without any regard for others around him or their safety
:roflol:

That's a good one. 3 inches of Mud :?: ...Weighing their shoes down :!:

I'm sure the Webb parents are glad he isn't one of theirs.

If he was...You would might have won 3 out of the last 4 State Championships

Ok. See you guys in the playoffs

You may have had a hard time seeing the Webb coach since he was maybe 5ft 2in. I know that people would actually think that a coach would totally destroy a field just to get a win I think that is naive. The problem is not with the field but the lack of blocking or run stopping abilities of the webb o and d line. I guess you have never played before to see that Webb just got dominated on the line of scrimmage and that was the problem not the field........

As far as the postgame handshake is concerned i wasnt there i was takin care of buisiness else where, but i am sure webbs coach was frustrated and made a honest mistake, as far as davidson theyve always been cocky and arrogant winning state in a division with no competition. But the big boys are there now and i say this and you can quote me on this "DAVIDSON WILL NOT WIN STATE" and im always gonna take this oppurtunity to call out Murphy Fair by saying he has no idea about high school football and i have no idea why they call him the guru the guys an idiot.

yeah i heard from someone who was there that da was acting like they won the super bowl or sumthin after the game. what's up with that... i mean they won state 3 outta the last 4 so you'd think they would act like they been there before. besides that i was told that da dominated webbs d line and just ran the ball down their throats. webbs o line wasn't able to get anything done either against da. the field was muddy for both teams so i dont see that as a reason for webb to complain. webb needs to get their lines ready cause the teams they will see in the playoffs will have good lines just like da.