Rules/Penalty Question

CalledStrike

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ball is at opponent's 20 yard line. QB is sacked to the 32 yard line. Defensive holding is called.

Where should the ball be spotted for the next play?

I would think it would depend on where the holding took place. Either its 10 yards from the spot of the foul, or since its defensive holding, the refs would move the ball from the 32 back up to the 22 and replay the down. Good question.

I look at it like this regardless of where the ball is. You already have a 12 yd loss on the play. You can take that and not have to worry about replaying the down or give them an extra down. If that play happened on 1st down, then it's 2nd and 22 from the 32. Give them only 2 downs to make the yardage that deep in your end of the field instead of 3.

Ball spotted at the 10, replay the down, unless the penalty gave the offense a first down.

In order for defensive holding to have occured, it must have happened prior to the QB being ruled down.

Defensive holding is similiar to defensive pass interference.

On def pass interference, it is not from the spot. It is 15 yds from the line of scrimmage and automatic first down.

I look at it like this regardless of where the ball is. You already have a 12 yd loss on the play. You can take that and not have to worry about replaying the down or give them an extra down. If that play happened on 1st down, then it's 2nd and 22 from the 32. Give them only 2 downs to make the yardage that deep in your end of the field instead of 3.

You must be a defensive guy since you want to punish the offense for "defensive holding". :D

You must be a defensive guy since you want to punish the offense for "defensive holding". :D

Nah, he's from Millington. He doesn't understand football. Common problem in that area, really. That's all.

Nah, he's from Millington. He doesn't understand football. Common problem in that area, really. That's all.

I am sure Mark misread the question and was thinking Offensive holding. Mark knows the rule as well as anyone else does I asure you. Why the attack on Millington?

But without looking it up I would think it is still a 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul, jus in favor of the offense.

"LET'S GO TROJANS" :D

DOUG

Ball spotted at the 10, replay the down, unless the penalty gave the offense a first down.

In order for defensive holding to have occured, it must have happened prior to the QB being ruled down.

Defensive holding is similiar to defensive pass interference.

On def pass interference, it is not from the spot. It is 15 yds from the line of scrimmage and automatic first down.

It happened in the Overton vs Hunters Lane game on Thursday. Overton had rallied from a 25-7 deficit in the 4th quarter to be behind 25-22. With 10 seconds to go, Overton was at the HL 23 yard line. QB sack to the 35 but penalty was defensive holding. 10 yard penalty was marked from the sack (35) and ball placed at the 25. Overton lined up for a FG that was down the middle but short by about 12-18 inches. Game over.

That may BE the rule, I don't know, but it sure doesn't seem right. Especially when you consider that offensive holding IS for SURE marked from the spot of the foul. Doesn't seem right to mark them from different spots.