5A Playoffs the way I see it....after week 9.

randymc

And Mitchell had no business losing to Melrose. Mitchell is a very good team and Melrose is not what they used to be. If Mitchell is indeed seeded 8, they will be the most dangerous 8 seed in the state.....even the most dangerous 7 if thats where they end up.

I don't know how they can be anything but a #7 or #8, I am open to listening to ideas, but under the rules watch the video (http://tssaa.org/training/classificatio ... tation.htm) they must be #7 or #8

Randymc....i understand the criteria you are using...you are saying (based on the video) that no team can be seeded higher than another team in their district in which they finished behind in the district standings...i get that. However, No where does it mention that the teams with better overall records would be seeded higher...thus...this makes Ridgeway..clearly the eighth seed...and in theory...Melrose could be as high as 5 so long as Mitchell is 6...............true?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Mitchell had no business losing to Melrose. Mitchell is a very good team and Melrose is not what they used to be. If Mitchell is indeed seeded 8, they will be the most dangerous 8 seed in the state.....even the most dangerous 7 if thats where they end up.

Mitchell's loss to a sub-standard Melrose team was no fluke or "upset;" it was a major revelation: those two teams are pretty evenly matched! Forget won-loss records, Mitchell is not a "very good" team, neither is Melrose!

In my mind, a "very good" suggests Championship caliber... (e.g. MUS is "very good." South Panola is "very good." Frankly, those are the only "very good" teams that I have seen.)

Melrose is definitely NOT a Championship caliber team, neither is Mitchell!

I don't know how they can be anything but a #7 or #8, I am open to listening to ideas, but under the rules watch the video (http://tssaa.org/training/classificatio ... tation.htm) they must be #7 or #8

Randymc....i understand the criteria you are using...you are saying (based on the video) that no team can be seeded higher than another team in their district in which they finished behind in the district standings...i get that. However, No where does it mention that the teams with better overall records would be seeded higher...thus...this makes Ridgeway..clearly the eighth seed...and in theory...Melrose could be as high as 5 so long as Mitchell is 6...............true?

My logic has nothing to do with overall record as the 1st criteria, the 1st criteria is finish in the district. Go to the 18:12 mark of the video it says:

"teams seeded based on finish in district and using tiebreaker criteria (Exaple: #1s seeded first, #2s, ...., WC)"

My placements have all been done based on that criteria. Overall record comes into play when seeding two or more teams that both finish 1st (2nd, 3rd, 4th, WC) in their respective districts.

But now lets look at this if Millington and Cordova win:

This drops Craigmont from #2 in D14 to #4 in D14 so:

1 Henry Co D10 #1

2 Jackson Northside D13 #2

3 Lawrence Co D8 #2

4 Hardin County D13 #3

5 Melrose (5A) D16 #3

6 Ridgeway (5A) D15 #3/4/5

7 Craigmont D14 #4

8 Mitchell (5A) D16 #4

This is a HUGE headache of a Quad.....from what I have seen, Craigmont better win, or there will be lots of people mad, namely Jackson Northside and Hardin Co. Funny they can go from 2nd to 7th. There are just WAY too many factors involved in this Quad. now if Hardin Co beats Northside......I am not going to try to figure that one out, this is the best I can do, I am sure I have lots of things wrong in there since there are many many factors.

If these are accurate seedings...then it could be a clean sweep for the Memphis schools in the first round. Melrose will beat Hardin Co. in Savannah, the Roadrunners will hammer Lawrence Co. at Lawrenceburg, Craigmont will beat the Northside Indians in Jackson, and Mitchell at Henry Co. will be an absolute toss up! Playing at home is the only advantage the Patriots have against the Tigers! I hear what TraderB is saying...however, he is comparing Mitchell and Melrose to Christian Brothers, South Panola, Olive Branch and MUS...i see none of these teams in Quad 4 of the 5A playoffs.

1 Henry Co D10 #1

3 Lawrence Co D8 #2

4 Hardin County D13 #3

5 Melrose (5A) D16 #3

7 Craigmont D14 #4

8 Mitchell (5A) D16 #4

This is a HUGE headache of a Quad.....

If these are accurate seedings...then it could be a clean sweep for the Memphis schools in the first round. Melrose will beat Hardin Co. in Savannah, the Roadrunners will hammer Lawrence Co. at Lawrenceburg, Craigmont will beat the Northside Indians in Jackson, and Mitchell at Henry Co. will be an absolute toss up! Playing at home is the only advantage the Patriots have against the Tigers!

I hear what TraderB is saying...however, he is comparing Mitchell and Melrose to Christian Brothers, South Panola, Olive Branch and MUS...i see none of these teams in Quad 4 of the 5A playoffs.

Here is what I said: Neither Melrose nor Mitchell has Championship caliber teams.

Interpretation: I doubt very seriously that either will play in the State Title game.

Expectation: I'll be surprised to see Melrose or Mitchell make it to the semi-finals (i.e. win Quad 4). I would not bet against it happening, though.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now, please don't get it twisted......Mitchell and Melrose are both still capable of beating everybody in Quad 4 !

It looks like Henry County will earn the #1 seed and, as a result, will get "rewarded" by getting to play the #8 seed -- Memphis Mitchell.... in the FIRST round!!!!!!

OMG!

I thought #1 seeds are supposed to have earned a "easier" path thru the playoffs.... Well, somehow I don't think that the Henry County folks see Memphis Mitchell as an "easy" path. Heck, it is a really good possibility that the #1 seed will lose in the first round! If this "unthinkable" happens and HC actually loses to Mitchell......

Man, can't ya'll then just see the HC faithful crying bloody murder (kinda' like the undefeated and top-ranked Humboldt basketball team that drew Manassas, in the first round....and LOST!)??

Hey, it's completely understandable!

------------------------------------------

TSSAA Note: Right out of the gate... after all the playoffs pairings are posted, I strongly suspect that TSSAA is gonna take a lot of "heat" for combining different Classes of teams (i.e. 5A/6A teams, 3A/4A, etc) into the SAME District standings, and how it skewed the playoff seedings...

For giggles... let's say that Tennessee High beats Sullivan South (Region 1 5A) and Daniel Boone beats David Crockett... leaving Daniel Boone and Sullivan South both @ 8-2 overall and 5-2 in Conference (South won head to head).

Who would Daniel Boone likely play in Round 1? Any hopes of a Home Game?

Thanks for any and all information

1 Henry Co D10 #1

3 Lawrence Co D8 #2

4 Hardin County D13 #3

5 Melrose (5A) D16 #3

7 Craigmont D14 #4

8 Mitchell (5A) D16 #4

This is a HUGE headache of a Quad.....

If these are accurate seedings...then it could be a clean sweep for the Memphis schools in the first round. Melrose will beat Hardin Co. in Savannah, the Roadrunners will hammer Lawrence Co. at Lawrenceburg, Craigmont will beat the Northside Indians in Jackson, and Mitchell at Henry Co. will be an absolute toss up! Playing at home is the only advantage the Patriots have against the Tigers!

I hear what TraderB is saying...however, he is comparing Mitchell and Melrose to Christian Brothers, South Panola, Olive Branch and MUS...i see none of these teams in Quad 4 of the 5A playoffs.

Here is what I said: Neither Melrose nor Mitchell has Championship caliber teams.

Interpretation: I doubt very seriously that either will play in the State Title game.

Expectation: I'll be surprised to see Melrose or Mitchell make it to the semi-finals (i.e. win Quad 4). I would not bet against it happening, though.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now, please don't get it twisted......Mitchell and Melrose are both still capable of beating everybody in Quad 4 !

It looks like Henry County will earn the #1 seed and, as a result, will get "rewarded" by getting to play the #8 seed -- Memphis Mitchell.... in the FIRST round!!!!!!

OMG!

I thought #1 seeds are supposed to have earned a "easier" path thru the playoffs.... Well, somehow I don't think that the Henry County folks see Memphis Mitchell as an "easy" path. Heck, it is a really good possibility that the #1 seed will lose in the first round! If this "unthinkable" happens and HC actually loses to Mitchell......

Man, can't ya'll then just see the HC faithful crying bloody murder (kinda' like the undefeated and top-ranked Humboldt basketball team that drew Manassas, in the first round....and LOST!)??

Hey, it's completely understandable!

TSSAA Note: Right out of the gate... after all the playoffs pairings are posted, I strongly suspect that TSSAA is gonna take a lot of "heat" for combining different Classes of teams (i.e. 5A/6A teams, 3A/4A, etc) into the SAME District standings, and how it skewed the playoff seedings...

TraderB...exactly what we've been talking about for weeks here. When would we see Mitchell....as the weeks passed by....it seemingly gets closer every week. I like the idea of the new system...more good teams get in...fewer weak team will qualify. District 10AAA will probably have 7 teams in.....thus...the system works. However, the seeding system is going to fall on its face....! After repeatatively watching the online video, I do believe that the seeding posted by Randymc...is accurate...IF...Lawrence County plays in the West. Therefore, if the best team is seeded 1st...and the weakest team seeded 8th...it SHOULD look like this;

Henry Co. 1st

Mitchell 2nd

Melrose 3rd

Ridgeway 4th

Craigmont 5th

Lawrence Co 6th

Northside 7th

Hardin Co. 8th

TraderB...as you know...the top 3 on this list, one could interchange..although..Henry County has been the Memphis City Champion for the last 3 years...that's the only reason I put them at the top. Mitchell and Melrose both could be the most dangerous teams in the entire 5A bracket...followed closely by Ridgeway. Again, I look for Memphis to possibly get a clean sweap in the first round of the 5A playoffs...again...Mitchell/Henry Co. will be a toss up. The rest (Melrose, Craigmont, & Ridgeway) will win on the road!

For giggles... let's say that Tennessee High beats Sullivan South (Region 1 5A) and Daniel Boone beats David Crockett... leaving Daniel Boone and Sullivan South both @ 8-2 overall and 5-2 in Conference (South won head to head).

Who would Daniel Boone likely play in Round 1? Any hopes of a Home Game?

Thanks for any and all information

Art, the way I see it, the outcome of the South-TN high game will have no bearing on Boone. The top 4 seeds in the quad will be TN, South, Boone and Mo. West. They all will host. I think the winner between South-Tn High will get Powell, the loser will get Seymour. Boone will host Mo. East and West will host ?? maybe Crockett or Halls

You West Tennessee folks may know the West well but you obviously know nothing about Lawrence Co. You keep disregarding them and placing them low in the seeding process and talking like they will get hammered by a Ridgeway or a Melrose.

The Wildcats are very solid with an outstanding defense. They don't make mistakes and they have a great punting game. The control the clock and wear teams out. They would be formidable foe for any team in this quadrant if things work out this way.

However, if they indeed finish second in District 8-AAA with an 8-2 overall record I don't see them getting sent this far west. In fact, if they finish that strong they will likely host a first-round game.

TraderB...exactly what we've been talking about for weeks here. When would we see Mitchell....as the weeks passed by....it seemingly gets closer every week. I like the idea of the new system...more good teams get in...fewer weak team will qualify. District 10AAA will probably have 7 teams in.....thus...the system works. However, the seeding system is going to fall on its face....!

After repeatatively watching the online video, I do believe that the seeding posted by Randymc...is accurate...IF...Lawrence County plays in the West. Therefore, if the best team is seeded 1st...and the weakest team seeded 8th...it SHOULD look like this;

Henry Co. 1st

Mitchell 2nd

Melrose 3rd

Ridgeway 4th

Craigmont 5th

Lawrence Co 6th

Northside 7th

Hardin Co. 8th

TraderB...as you know...the top 3 on this list, one could interchange..although..Henry County has been the Memphis City Champion for the last 3 years...that's the only reason I put them at the top. Mitchell and Melrose both could be the most dangerous teams in the entire 5A bracket...followed closely by Ridgeway. Again, I look for Memphis to possibly get a clean sweap in the first round of the 5A playoffs...again...Mitchell/Henry Co. will be a toss up. The rest (Melrose, Craigmont, & Ridgeway) will win on the road!

Advisor, I understand what you're saying but-- I don't see how Mitchell could EVER jump over Melrose in the seedings! Remember, Melrose beat Mitchell. Melrose will finish ahead of Mitchell in the MAIN criteria--the District. Mitchell's superior overall record is irrelevant, in this instance. Therefore, Mitchell MUST forever remain behind Melrose in the seedings....at least, that's my interpretation.

In addition, aren't the seedings based on this "pecking" order:

1) Automatic qualifiers

2) District-finish-position (s) qualifiers

3) Wildcards

Maybe I'm misinterpreting TSSAA's seeding criteria, but-- I just simply can't see how Mitchell could ever get seeded anywhere near as high as you're saying. I just don't see it.

TraderB...exactly what we've been talking about for weeks here. When would we see Mitchell....as the weeks passed by....it seemingly gets closer every week. I like the idea of the new system...more good teams get in...fewer weak team will qualify. District 10AAA will probably have 7 teams in.....thus...the system works. However, the seeding system is going to fall on its face....!

After repeatatively watching the online video, I do believe that the seeding posted by Randymc...is accurate...IF...Lawrence County plays in the West. Therefore, if the best team is seeded 1st...and the weakest team seeded 8th...it SHOULD look like this;

Henry Co. 1st

Mitchell 2nd

Melrose 3rd

Ridgeway 4th

Craigmont 5th

Lawrence Co 6th

Northside 7th

Hardin Co. 8th

Advisor, I understand what you're saying but-- I don't see how Mitchell could EVER jump over Melrose in the seedings! Remember, Melrose beat Mitchell. Melrose will finish ahead of Mitchell in the MAIN criteria--the District. Mitchell's superior overall record is irrelevant, in this instance. Therefore, Mitchell MUST forever remain behind Melrose in the seedings....at least, that's my interpretation.

In addition, aren't the seedings based on this "pecking" order:

1) Automatic qualifiers

2) District-finish-position (s) qualifiers

3) Wildcards

Maybe I'm misinterpreting TSSAA's seeding criteria, but-- I just simply can't see how Mitchell could ever get seeded anywhere near as high as you're saying. I just don't see it.

Your logic is normally right on target but you will have to explain to me how you can possibly get Mitchell as a #8 seed. I don't see how that is possible even if they lose this Friday. Please explain.

Seeding will be based on this pecking order:

1st Place Qualifiers (Winner of District)

2nd Place Qualifier (Second in District)

Automatic Qualifier (Not 1st or 2nd but qualify based on number of teams in district in their class)

Wild Card (teams that dont qualify based on other criteria)

Based on this, no team that is an automatic qualifier shall be placed higher than a 1st or 2nd place qualifier unless you have to do so to keep two teams from the same district playing each other in the first round of the playoffs! I hope this helps!