4. Madison Magnet

5. Livingston Academy

6. Hume-Fogg

7. Spring Hill

8. Fairview

9. Giles County

10. Harpeth

Honorable Mention: White House

Too bad these teams will never have a shot at a state championship thanks to the private school monopoly in the A-AA state tournament. How is it fair again for a school with a 50-mile radius to compete against a school with a 15-mile radius, scholarship or not???

How's this for a stat?

If you take every current girls soccer team in A-AA, ONLY ONE SINGLE SCHOOL has ever won a game in the state tournament that wasn't a private school or a magnet school. Does that bring it home for you?

Chuckey-Doak did it on October 26, 2005 when they faced another public school (unranked McNairy Central) in the state quarterfinals, thus a public school had to advance to the semifinals from that matchup. Then Chuckey-Doak was promptly stomped by FRA 5-0.

I submit it isn't a "public or private" issue, but a "club or no club" issue... (back me up on this one, MVM).

The reason the majority of private schools win year after year is that they have a majority of club soccer players on their squads that play year round. The public schools that are doing so are having great success (Greeneville has a great club program and look where it has gotten it this year).

Gone are the days that one can play for only 3 months and expect to win. Sadly this is in all sports it seems.

I submit it isn't a "public or private" issue, but a "club or no club" issue... (back me up on this one, MVM).

The reason the majority of private schools win year after year is that they have a majority of club soccer players on their squads that play year round. The public schools that are doing so are having great success (Greeneville has a great club program and look where it has gotten it this year).

Gone are the days that one can play for only 3 months and expect to win. Sadly this is in all sports it seems.

I agree it is a 'club or no club' issue. Which equates to the underlying socio-economic base of the school. Greeneville draws from a fairly large, identifiable area; crosses a large range of family incomes. The privates have a greater percentage of moderate to high income families which give them greater access to the expensive club environment. I think this can also be seen in golf, tennis, and swimming. It's neither good or bad, just the way it is. The standard sports of football, basketball, track have a similar but more diluted influence. I think that if one has a child athlete, and they want to play any sport, it is becoming more obvious to me that this needs to be given some consideration in choosing which school a child should attend, at least to some degree, along with the academic considerations.

1. Greeneville

How's this for a stat?

If you take every current girls soccer team in A-AA, ONLY ONE SINGLE SCHOOL has ever won a game in the state tournament that wasn't a private school or a magnet school. Does that bring it home for you?

Not so in boys soccer, interestingly enough. Of the opponents we have faced in the finals, 3 have been public out of the 8 (Lenoir City, Hume Fogg, and Alcoa). Last year 3 of the 4 semi finalists in the boys tournament were public schools. Things may be changing.

There is no private/parochial school in Greeneville. Tusculum College has an influence on the soccer community here since it is such a strong D2 program and many of its soccer alumni stay in the area and either coach or have children in club program. The Greenville Soccer Association is to be commended on its club program since this is basically a very rural (and rabid football) area. The city population is 15,000 and county about 75,000 yet both Chuckey-Doak and Greeneville high have made it to States. I'm sure if Greeneville had been AA all along, several of its previous teams would have been to States.

Greeneville is also helped by the fact that there is a city school system (with Greeneville as the only high school) and a county school system (with Chuckey-Doak, South Greene, West Greene, and North Greene) Therefore, GHS is helped by tuition students which make up about 25% of the school and are generally a little bit wealthier. (Which, lets face it, helps in sports like golf, soccer, etc.) I know that when I went there a lot of the good athletes were tuition students.

somewhere in this debate let's not forget the girl's and their hard work, dedication and focus. all other things aside, they're doing what it takes to be state contenders.

What are you talking about, thats silly, it has every thing to do with the wealth of the parents, no child or heaven forbid multiple children can succeed without the deep pockets of their parents. You know the money that pays six figures for soccer coaches $1000.01, I think thats six significant figures to coach both boys and girls. Dont forget all that money that makes the private school student athletes, what is the number now, 1.6 times better athletes than those in the public schools. Come on its not about the hard work and dedication by both the student athletes and coaches.

I agree with canes, lets continue to break apart this whole mess until everyone gets a trophy, heck it would really be cheaper for all the schools involved public and private to just go ahead and by every on a trophy and not even mess with training, playing district matches, tournamnets. heck lets just all be winners.