If David Limbaugh was in charge, here is the way...

davidlimbaugh

If David Limbaugh was in charge, here is the way it would be.

in 2009-2010 school year there are 302 Division 1 high school football teams.

We go with four (4) Classifications.

75 or 76 per classification.

8 regions. 9 to 10 teams in each region. District round-robin and schedule non-district games but only district games count toward postseason and top 4 teams in each district qualify and play in bracket that worked fine last year and a few years before that.

No wildcards. Overall record has no bearing. A simple plan.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 regions. 9 to 10 teams in each region. District round-robin and schedule non-district games but only district games count toward postseason and top 4 teams in each district qualify and play in bracket that worked fine last year and a few years before that.

1 BIG problem with this method....not enough playoff games to pay the bills! Like it or not, that's the whole reason we went to 6A instead of 5A. If 5A or 6A were such a good thing, why aren't they going to it in all sports? Think about how many teams that put OHS out of the basketball tournament wouldn't have been there if we had been playing 5A and 6A all those years. You would see 5 or 6 Gold Balls in the hall of OHS. Anyway, off that subject....your system sounds good, just not enough playoff games.

1 BIG problem with this method....not enough playoff games to pay the bills!

They have to admit that six is just too many - why brag about being state champion when you had a 1 in 41 chance to get one?

http://www.dnj.com/article/20091101/SPORTS08/911010336/1006/SPORTS/TSSAA+s+Childress+unhappy+with+football+playoff+system

I am taking my plan to Mr. Childress tomorrow morning. They will probably do the same thing with it that they did with my baseball plan but it is the effort, not the result, that is important - right? :hungry:

1 BIG problem with this method....not enough playoff games to pay the bills! Like it or not, that's the whole reason we went to 6A instead of 5A. If 5A or 6A were such a good thing, why aren't they going to it in all sports? Think about how many teams that put OHS out of the basketball tournament wouldn't have been there if we had been playing 5A and 6A all those years. You would see 5 or 6 Gold Balls in the hall of OHS. Anyway, off that subject....your system sounds good, just not enough playoff games.

If it was just about playoff games, they could come up with something for 5 rounds and have an east and west champion, kinda like VA does I believe. I think more playoff games were part of it, but I think in the end they wanted to have the wildcard feel...which at the end of the day is stupid because these are kids and teachers who have to worry about work and plan ahead....it is hard on a coaching staff to not have a good idea on who they are playing or if they are home or away until a saturday morning....and then have a faulty system that even the people in charge can't use.

1 BIG problem with this method....not enough playoff games to pay the bills!

They have to admit that six is just too many - why brag about being state champion when you had a 1 in 41 chance to get one?

http://www.dnj.com/article/20091101/SPORTS08/911010336/1006/SPORTS/TSSAA+s+Childress+unhappy+with+football+playoff+system

I am taking my plan to Mr. Childress tomorrow morning. They will probably do the same thing with it that they did with my baseball plan but it is the effort, not the result, that is important - right? :thumb:

Actually, there will be 8 Tennessee High School Football State Champions. 6 Div I and 2 Div II.

I agree, there is way too many. TSSAA is all about the $.

Why didn't the TSSAA consult with the High school football coaches about this system before implementing it or did they?

This does not resolve the private-public conflict. Eliminate D2 and put privates in every classification.

How do you think that idea would fly?

No public wants to play a private in the playoffs.

If you do not use that factor in the playoff format, it will cause an outrage every year.

This does not resolve the private-public conflict. Eliminate D2 and put privates in every classification.

If you do not use that factor in the playoff format, it will cause an outrage every year.

They tried the multiplier. How about apply the multiplier and then whatever classification they end up with bump them up one more? That way zero privates in 1A where most of the rural school are at? What do ya think?

I have no problem with that idea, but once you put privates in a higher classificaction that

does not have any privates, there will be another set of publics entering the debate.

Do you think the TSSAA and administrators will go for dropping two (or one of the old) classifications?

Can you ask them why Ronnie Carter was not retained as a consultant to help with the pairings?

They tried the multiplier. How about apply the multiplier and then whatever classification they end up with bump them up one more? That way zero privates in 1A where most of the rural school are at? What do ya think?

If it was just about playoff games, they could come up with something for 5 rounds and have an east and west champion, kinda like VA does I believe. I think more playoff games were part of it, but I think in the end they wanted to have the wildcard feel...which at the end of the day is stupid because these are kids and teachers who have to worry about work and plan ahead....it is hard on a coaching staff to not have a good idea on who they are playing or if they are home or away until a saturday morning....and then have a faulty system that even the people in charge can't use.

Virginia's plan is actually very similar to the Z-plan. You're probably thinking of Massachusetts (and don't even get me started on the number of dumb ideas their football setup has...)