BIG 8

wkktnvolsfan

Holy cow,was WJHL screwed up tonight or what? They actually reported South beating Science Hill In the Topper Palace, and get this, they had David Crockett, perennial cellar dweller, beating the Dobyns-Bennett Indians...boys varsity basketball....Casey Marler gonna lose his job if he doesn't do a better job than this. :bored::popcorneater::popcorneater:

Good one CD! Who would believe that?? Seriously though, that was scary! Lord, everyone better get them now, because.....................

Just curious Volman....who impressed you more, Shannon Hale or the South team? I know,I know..the Hill is very young....I see them playing at state for the next 3 with Will and Shannon leading them,but anything they do this year will be gravy...still would you ever believe a South boys team would have a legitimate shot to win the Big 8 in basketball? When you stop to think about it ,this is an exceptional group of Sr. athletes at South High this year.

I was impressed by both actually. I have to say though, I think the Hill will still be the team to beat come playoff time. You are correct, we are blessed with a great group of Sr.'s. I've never minced my words on our basketball program though. It'll be a shame if this group doesn't win the conference.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year is the county schools chance to win the conference. These opportunities dont come around too often. They better strike while the iron is hot because it might be a long time before they get this chance again. It may also be a rare chance for District 2 to win the region. Again, let me be clear, this season only.

As far as the league is concerned it has good balance this year fom top to bottom with no dominant team. Science Hill will still be the team to beat, no matter how young they are. Four or five losses may win it. It is just nice to see some parity for a change in NE Tennessee. It gets pretty boring knowing before the first tip of the season DB, THS, or Science Hill will be playing for the championship and everyone else playing for 4th. Good luck to all.

Some good games tomorrow

Boone @ South and Science Hill @ Tn. High should be the best two

South will be tested to keep their momentum after the big win at the Hill. Can the Vikings beat SH? How bout it Cap? Has SH EVER started a conference campaign 0-2? Better get it while you can,opportunities will dwindle when those guys mature a little.

Science Hill 8th grade team was awesome last year and probably could have beaten some of the teams in the Big 9 last year. Not surprised by the play of Hale and Adams thus far. They will continue to get more confident as the season moves forward and will be difficult to handle come tourney time. Hayes and Good should contribute as well. They both can shoot the ball and all these kids play well together. SH basketball will be tough to handle the next 3 to 4 years, so Big 8 get them while you can. It won't last long. Will be surprised if South does not win it this year though. They have the Sr's to do so and should.

Shannon was is early and constant foul trouble against THS. He played very few minutes, but did have an ally-oop dunk. The high point scorer for SH was Hunter LeVeau with 10, so the scoring was spread out through the team. Again, SH is young this year and very inconsistant. SH played a strong first quarter and led by 10 or 12, but fizzled in the second quarter leading by only 4 at half. SH extended the lead to 15 in the third quarter, only to see THS whiddle it down to 5 points. During the fourth quarter was about equal, with SH maintaining a precarious 7 point lead through most of the quarter.

Because of their youth and inexperience, SH has a bunch of one-dimensional players this year. Some can shoot, some can rebound, and some can play defense, but there is no one player (like Josh Odem last year) that can do it all. There is no go-to player.

I'm sure the coaches are frustrated, because of the inconsistencies. It's hard for them to even know who to play in crunch time much less who to go to. That is what happened in the South game. SH got a lead, but there was no one to go to in the crunch. But SH has a lot of talent and will get better!

• 4 weeks later...

wow...had to dig this thread out on page 8...is there no interest in Big 8 basketball this year?

Holiday tourneys are over now and the conference race is ready to heat up. Sullivan South's chances for a conference championship took a big hit with the loss of their stellar PG Bailee Dick. They will be challenged to maintain momentum. As expected,Science Hill is maturing quickly and as usual ,looks like the team to beat. Crockett is improving and gaining confidence as their team becomes more balanced around big Garland. Boone and Tennessee High seem capable of bringing the upset any given night. Dobyns-Bennett is building steam as their young line-up seasons. Volunteer should make some noise as their big guys get healthy. If there is a bottom feeder at this point, Central would appear the favorite for that distinction.

People have commented on how the league is down this year, but it looks very competitive from top to bottom. Look for the conference race to generate some excitement down the stretch toward tourney time. :thumb:

Crawdad,

There isn't much interest in Big 8 this year. I believe that the conference is weaker overall this year, so there is not much confidence in any of the teams. Science Hill has its moments, but continues to be inconsistent. Some days they look like world beaters, other days they are not very impressive. Their most solid, consistent player is Shannon Hale, but they go long stretches without him touching the ball. I have also seen some other players get hot, and suddenly they stop getting the ball. Science Hill coaches sometimes seem to more interested in a philosophy of constantly putting people in and taking people out than scoring points. The team is enamoured with the three point shot, but they don't have a consistent three point shooter. However, I know it is hard to coach with so much inconsestency.

Other teams are equally inconsistent. I watched Crockett fizzle against South. Again, Crockett looked great for three quarters, then they destructed. They could not close the deal. DB and THS don't have the hosses this year. South has been the most consistent, but I heard that something happened to their point guard. So it looks like the conference is open to whomever is willing to step up and take it.

I think your right GABBY about science hill i have never seen a coach put in the first five and even if they are doing good take all five out in less than two min. And shannon hale can score at will down low and they want to shoot three's half the game if the three's are not going in then stop shooting them and work the ball down low and another thing i think if the coaches just talk to the players when they do something wrong and stop yelling at them like their DOGS he might get more out of them their KIDS............