Big Games in Memphis ... Week 11 (1st Rnd Playoffs)

kwc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LC 17 ---- Crg 14 ................ Crgmt's fails to recover from its stunning loss to Bartlett

Mit 26 ---- JNS 14 ................ Mitchell gets back on track

Mel 26 --- Bart 13 ................ Melrose has improved dramatically; too strong for Bartlett.

Rdg 18 --- HC 14 ............... Hardin County never seems to beat Mphs in playoffs.

Arl 20 --- Ind 17 ................. Arlington finds a way to win, AGAIN.

WH 21 --- Gtwn 17 ................ Gtwn's luck finally runs out; WH gets its revenge...at last.

Wood 20 --- Mill 17 ................ Woodale nearly self-destructs, but survives...

Kirby 28 --- Brigh 21 ................ Brighton's playoff woes vs Mphs also continues.

WS 42 ---- Cord 17 .............. Cordova barely avoids the dreaded "running clock!"

The only surprise (mild) of the night for me is.... Hardin County slipping past Rideway. Congratulations to HC for FINALLY snapping its Mphs jinx. It looks like a very good effort by Ridgeway.

Arlington's undefeated, dream season comes to a screeching halt! This game is a perfect illulstration that (no disrespect to Arl) it's much better to lose a few games during the regular season, as a result of playing tough competition, as opposed to going undefeated vs lesser competition.....Great season, nontheless. Excellent bounce-back win by Indy.

Perhaps the most revealing (and likely very sobering, for their fan base) development of the night is the fact that ALL 5 District 14 teams (Arl, Crg, Mil, Bart, Cord) got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Wow!

--------------------------------

Whitehaven FINALLY got its revenge on Germantown, in a very big way!

I attended this game and watched a rejuvenated Whitehaven team take total advantage of multiple Germantown miscues, after half-time, en route to a convincing victory.

I fully expected WH to defeat Germantown. I felt all along that Germantown was nowhere near as good as their 1-loss record might suggest. They were very overrated, IMO. While WH's margin of victory was bigger than I anticipated (thanks in large part to 3 or 4 Gtwn turnovers), I was more impressed with their poise and resilence.

Whitehaven missed several good scoring opportunities in the first half, then found itself trailing 7-0 at half-time. They could have easily gotten frustrated and allowed their emotions to get the better of them. Instead, WH came out in the 2nd-half with even more focus and intensity. They finally got their running game untracked and took full advantage of their opportunities.... The rest if history.

This win was undoubtedly a HUGE psychological boost for Whitehaven, as they finally exercised their "Germantown" demons! As a result, I expect Whitehaven to relax and put together a more complete game next week.

Great season, Germantown.

[

Arlington's undefeated, dream season comes to a screeching halt! This game is a perfect illulstration that (no disrespect to Arl) it's much better to lose a few games during the regular season, as a result of playing tough competition, as opposed to going undefeated vs lesser competition.....Great season, nontheless. Excellent bounce-back win by Indy.

Perhaps the most revealing (and likely very sobering, for their fan base) development of the night is the fact that ALL 5 District 14 teams (Arl, Crg, Mil, Bart, Cord) got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Wow!

Indy was a better team than Arlington. There is and always will be a gap between Middle and West Tennessee football teams. Once the sting wears off, Arlington has nothing to hang their head about. That group of kids turned 1-9 into 10-1, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Mitchell was dominant from the start. We took the opening KO all the way to the house. Malone had a dominant game with 4 first half TD's. What borke their back was we scored with about 30 seconds left in the first halk. WE kicked off to them and they ran it back for a score. With about 15 secobds left in the half we got the ball back and Malone caught a bomb to score with 5 seconds left in the half to make it 48-13 at halftime. WE cruised with our JV the second half. Our speed was too much much for them.

Now for next week, it will not be this easy. Lawernce Co beat a very good Craigmont team. WE will have to bring our best game for this one.

Indy was a better team than Arlington. There is and always will be a gap between Middle and West Tennessee football teams. Once the sting wears off, Arlington has nothing to hang their head about. That group of kids turned 1-9 into 10-1, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Not necessarily, Germantown won it all in 03' and was very close in 02' and 94'.

Not necessarily, Germantown won it all in 03' and was very close in 02' and 94'.

Don't judge the west by Arlington. Arlington hasn't played anyone left in the playoffs. They were the weak that's why they were sent to middle TN.

Don't judge the west by Arlington. Arlington hasn't played anyone left in the playoffs. They were the weak that's why they were sent to middle TN.

You are a first time poster and have zero clue, as to why anyone played anywhere. All of a sudden you want and have an opinion. :hungry:

You are going to say I'm wrong and give me one team as an example? And at that, a team that fed their kids steroids during those years.

Haha! Seriously? That's your reasoning? Funny. How about this: Arlington is 3 miles closer to Nashville than Brighton and 8 miles closer than Cordova. Nice try though.

The only surprise (mild) of the night for me is.... Hardin County slipping past Rideway. Congratulations to HC for FINALLY snapping its Mphs jinx. It looks like a very good effort by Ridgeway.

--------------------------------

Whitehaven FINALLY got its revenge on Germantown, in a very big way!

I attended this game and watched a rejuvenated Whitehaven team take total advantage of multiple Germantown miscues, after half-time, en route to a convincing victory.

I fully expected WH to defeat Germantown. I felt all along that Germantown was nowhere near as good as their 1-loss record might suggest. They were very overrated, IMO. While WH's margin of victory was bigger than I anticipated (thanks in large part to 3 or 4 Gtwn turnovers), I was more impressed with their poise and resilence.

Whitehaven missed several good scoring opportunities in the first half, then found itself trailing 7-0 at half-time. They could have easily gotten frustrated and allowed their emotions to get the better of them. Instead, WH came out in the 2nd-half with even more focus and intensity. They finally got their running game untracked and took full advantage of their opportunities.... The rest if history.

This win was undoubtedly a HUGE psychological boost for Whitehaven, as they finally exercised their "Germantown" demons! As a result, I expect Whitehaven to relax and put together a more complete game next week.

Great season, Germantown.

Trader B,

I attended the Germantown/Whitehaven game also and agree with your assessment. I too also believed that Germantown was overrated; but more than that, I thought Whitehaven would find a way to lose to an inferior team, again. I am glad that I was wrong!

The Whitehaven kids played well and the coaches had them prepared and obviously did a good job last night. Whitehaven was bigger, stronger, and faster as a team than Germantown and to my surprise the Whitehaven coaches did not coach away their advantages. I was also happy to see that Whitehaven is able to consistently make PATs and appears to have the realistic chance of kicking and consistently making FGs from 30 yards in; which at the high school level is acceptable.

Now the bad news- though they did not need one last night, Whitehaven does not appear to have much of a passing game. Though there could have been one or two, I do not remember seeing any well-executed passing plays. And though they moved the ball and scored points, the offensive really did not seem sharp. With the exception of a few well-executed running plays, many of the yards seemed to be the result of individual effort, coupled with poor tackling and Germantown being physically overmatched. But again, the Whitehaven coaches obviously knew what they needed to do to soundly beat Germantown, and they did. Good coaching! Congratulations!

You are going to say I'm wrong and give me one team as an example? And at that, a team that fed their kids steroids during those years.

A single team proves your argument false, and I can categorical denounce the steroid rumor, as I was a member of the 94' squad and saw no such behavior.