Big Games in Memphis ... Week 12 (2nd Round Playoffs)

kwc

Well, it's the second round of the playoffs and there are quite a few games to be talked about. First, I'd like to congradulate all of the teams that advanced to the 2nd round. Good job. Way to go District 16 in both 5A and 6A, you guys represented well. All four had decisive victories. District 15 represented well also with Wooddale and Kirby advanciing and Ridgeway losing a heartbreaker by one point. Well ... that is over and now on to the next round. I will have my picks at the bottom as usual. The match-ups are as follows:

5A

#1 Lawrence Co. (9-2)

#5 Mitchell (8-3)

#3 Melrose (7-4)

#2 Hardin Co. (9-2)

6A

#7 Whitehaven (9-2)

#4 Wooddale (9-2)

#6 Kirby (6-5)

#2 White Station (9-2)

D-2, A

#1 East/Middle Davidson Aca. (10-1) (H)

#2 West District 1 SBEC (7-4)

#3 West District 1 FACS (10-3)

#1 West District 2 USJ (9-1) (H)

#1 West District 1 ECS (9-1) (H)

#4 East/Middle FRA (7-4)

#2 West District 2 St. George's (8-3)

#2 East/Middle Knox. Webb (9-1) (H)

D-2, AA

#3 West Briarcrest (7-4)

#2 East Middle Father Ryan (7-3) (H)

#5 East/Middle Baylor (7-4)

#1 West MUS (10-0) (H)

#4 East/Middle MBA (7-4) 45

#1 East/Middle Ensworth (10-0) (H)

#3 East/Middle Brentwood Aca. (7-3)

#2 West Christian Brothers (8-2) (H)

My picks are as follows:

5A

Mitchell over LC to the tune of .......... 35-10

Melrose shuts down HC and wins ........ 28-7

6A

Whitehaven advances past the 2nd round and wins ..... 24-10

White Station is just to much for Kirby and wins ......... 35-21

D-2, A

Davidson over SBEC ......................... 24-17

USJ beats FACS .............................. 21-13

ECS whips up on FRA ....................... 24-10

Knox Webb barely beats St, Georges ... 17-14

D-2, AA

Briarcrest bests Father Ryan ......... 28-24

MUS kills Baylor .......................... 35-0

Ensworth handles MBA ................ 24-14

CBHS wins a dogfight against BA ... 21-17

Those are my picks (edited due to my shameless oversight of the D-2 games, my appologies Wavelax) ... District 16 advances to the third round games. Well ... what do you guys think?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with Mithcell 32-18. Too much offense and just the right amount of D to keep LC in check.

Melrose 36 Hardin Co. 12- Just too much Melrose and will set up Mitchell vs. Melrose remtach.

Whitehaven 28 Wooddale 16- Too many penalities for the Cardinals, Too much Jefferson equals a close, but not good enough Lose.

White Station 42 Kirby 21- Score will not show the dominance of the Spartans.

Mitchell wins 35-14

Melrose wins 27-10

Whitehaven 21-14

White Station 49-28

No love for D-2? Ill take MUS over Baylor 45-10 and CBHS wins on last second fg by Acosta 24-21 over Brentwood Academy.

Wavelax2315:

Can you forgive my oversight? I guess with the first round byes I just simply forgot about the D-2 games ... I'm going to go pull it up right now and make my picks. My bad ... blame my head and not my heart. (Editing done to reflect the D-2 games as well)

Mitchell wins 35-14

Melrose wins 27-10

Whitehaven 21-14

White Station 49-28

No love for D-2? Ill take MUS over Baylor 45-10 and CBHS wins on last second fg by Acosta 24-21 over Brentwood Academy.

Mit 26 -- LC 17 ... Mitchell's high-flying offense is too much for LC. Dry field expected.

Melrose 26 -- HC 10 ..... HC is simply overmatched vs a DRASTICALLY improved Melrose team.

WH 21 -- Wood 18 .... Woodale will self-destruct, after having WH on the ropes.

WS 42 -- Kir 18 ....... Kirby simply can not keep pace with WS.

MUS 38 -- Bay 10 ...... Baylor is just another speed bump.

CBHS 17 -- BA 14 ..... CBHS has home-field advantage and just a bit more balance than BA.

Mitchell 33 - Lawrence Co. 27 - Mitchell has much more firepower on offense than Craigmont did, and Mitchell gets a couple of quick scores to get up early and holds off a good LCHS team.

Melrose 27 - Hardin Co. 13 - Melrose comes out and plays more physical than Hardin and takes this one.

Whitehaven 31 - Wooddale 20 - Whitehaven will show Wooddale that they are one of the teams to beat every year for a reason.

White Station 45 - Kirby 20 - "The Station" continues to roll through their opponents to set up a showdown with Whitehaven.

Davidson Academy 31 - SBEC 21

USJ 31 - FACS 14 - USJ's QB has a great game and leads USJ to the next round.

ECS 31 - FRA 17

St. George's 24 - Knoxville Webb 20

Father Ryan 34 - Briarcrest 28 - Briarcrest plays a solid game but comes up just short.

MUS 45 - Baylor 10 - MUS gets up big and cruises.

CBHS 17 - Brentwood Academy 13 - CBHS comes to play and hold off a last minute drive of Brentwood.

Maybe I can get a few more right this week than last.

My picks:

Mitchell- 18

Lawrence County- 21

This will come down to defense, turnovers, and adjustments. In the end, I see Lawrence County prevailing.

Melrose- 28

Hardin County- 10

Though Hardin has a better kicking game and better fundamental coaching, Melrose has too much skill, athleticism, play-off experience/success, and attitude! If Hardin County goes into Orange Mound intimidated, they will get blown out.

Whitehaven- 23

Wooddale- 18

Whitehaven probably has largest number of kids that are athletic (size, speed, and strength in position), smart, and without serious socio-economic disadvantage, on its roster in all of West Tennessee. They can also make extra points and consistently make FGs from 30 yards in. That should be enough to get by Wooddale; unless, the Whitehaven coaching and offensive scheme (less than average passing game) and preparation proves to be lacking.

Kirby-14

White Station- 28

This game will be closer than most expect. But in the end, White Station has better players and will be too prolific on offense to match or contain.

ECS- 38

FRA- 10

FRA will be overmatched.

Briarcrest- 24

Father Ryan- 30

Father Ryan should win a high-scoring and exciting game at home.

MUS- 45

Baylor- 13

Baylor will not be able to stop MUS.

Ensworth- 28

MBA- 10

This one will be close for two quarters.

CBHS-16

BA- 24

CBHS's offense, particularly at the skilled positions/players (not counting the kicker), proves to be not good enough in a competitive game, but disappointing loss.

Mit 26 -- LC 17 ... Mitchell's high-flying offense is too much for LC. Dry field expected.

Melrose 26 -- HC 10 ..... HC is simply overmatched vs a DRASTICALLY improved Melrose team.

WH 21 -- Wood 18 .... Woodale will self-destruct, after having WH on the ropes.

WS 42 -- Kir 18 ....... Kirby simply can not keep pace with WS.

MUS 38 -- Bay 10 ...... Baylor is just another speed bump.

CBHS 17 -- BA 14 ..... CBHS has home-field advantage and just a bit more balance than BA.

I just have to say this. Whenever I read a TraderB comment ... in my head I hear Gary Danielson's voice. I think it's how TraderB presents his arguments or statement of facts. I don't know what it is exactly ... but when I read TraderB's comments ... it's Gary Danielson's voice that i'm listening to.

LOL .... :roflol: ... go figure!