What it takes to be a championship team

Thanks for your input Dmac. There has been a lot of good feedback on this thread and of course, a few hecklers. My intention was to talk about championship qualities of a team (no specific team). Throughout this season I have personally seen some championship teams in our area that deserve recognition - not just the ones still alive in the playoffs.

At this time, I would like to recognize those teams and I hope that some of you would make some positive feedback (without having a rivalry in your heart) and acknowledge who you feel are championship teams in your area. Please take a look at those teams on your schedule and give them some recognizition.

Alcoa. One of the best coached teams in the state. Excellent administrative and community support; great talent in the community; a strong weight and conditioning program; excellent sportsmanship on the field; unselfish players; and plenty of heart.

Maryville. Probably the best coached team in the state. Talent, sportsmanship, administrative and community support, a tradition rich program, and one of the most exciting teams to watch week-to-week. Known for 'special plays' that nobody expects.

CAK. Excellent sportsmanship, well coached, talent and a team that plays with heart each time they step on the field.

Loudon. A 'never die' attitude, determined, well coached and plenty of heart.

These teams are champions, IMO, as defined by this post. Would love to hear from all of you that have something positive to add.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your input Dmac. There has been a lot of good feedback on this thread and of course, a few hecklers. My intention was to talk about championship qualities of a team (no specific team). Throughout this season I have personally seen some championship teams in our area that deserve recognition - not just the ones still alive in the playoffs.

At this time, I would like to recognize those teams and I hope that some of you would make some positive feedback (without having a rivalry in your heart) and acknowledge who you feel are championship teams in your area. Please take a look at those teams on your schedule and give them some recognizition.

Alcoa. One of the best coached teams in the state. Excellent administrative and community support; great talent in the community; a strong weight and conditioning program; excellent sportsmanship on the field; unselfish players; and plenty of heart.

Maryville. Probably the best coached team in the state. Talent, sportsmanship, administrative and community support, a tradition rich program, and one of the most exciting teams to watch week-to-week. Known for 'special plays' that nobody expects.

CAK. Excellent sportsmanship, well coached, talent and a team that plays with heart each time they step on the field.

These teams are champions, IMO, as defined by this post. Would love to hear from all of you that have something positive to add.

and don't forget the most important thing. they all have open school zones. with that being said i'm gonna have to ram milan down everyone's throat with 6 state appearances and 4 gold balls and 27straight playoff appearances without open school zones. i want tell you what makes a championship team but i will tell you what makes a "TEAM" (what this thread should be about). GOOD KIDS. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

DAWG ,you and all these other folks need to lose this thing about ALCOA recruiting ! I have lived in Alcoa all my life (60 years ) and it is a very small town and everyone in this town has to go to school there . If they go to Maryville or other schools , they must pay tuition . You can't accept the fact that this much talent can come out of one small town .Most students that pay tuition & come here don't even play sports ! They come for the excellent academic program that ALCOA has . You guys need to speak what you know . You don't have a clue about ALCOA ! Before integration of schools in the 60's , the Af-Amer school was a few blocks away from Alcoa High School , which was then all white . I am giving you a little Histoy here ! When the two schools merged , both always had tremendous atheletes . Putting the two together created a "Powerhouse " & has been that way every since . Don't talk to me about recruiting , when you don't know our History ! A town with only one school , everyone in that town has to go to the same school .

Be very careful about what you say until you get facts ! We have 1 Elementary school,1 Middle school & 1 high school . This town has always had the Aluminum,Co. of America here , which is where almost everyone works . The children have no other schools to attend but ALCOA ! This is the way it's always been ! Do some research on Alcoa , if you will ,you just might learn something !!!!!!!! :roflol:

lbjtn:

I must correct you on a couple of points you made in your post: Kids that live in Alcoa don't "have to" go to Alcoa. They can go to a county school without paying tuition, since their parents pay both city & county taxes. If they go to Maryville, they have to pay tuition, since their parents pay Alcoa & county taxes, but not Maryville taxes.

Also, ALCOA (the aluminum company) is now a mere shadow of its former self. Personally, I know very few people who still have a job there. It used to be true that most of the kids' parents worked there, but now I don't think that's the case.

fiftyish: here's another point to your question: How about parents who stay out of the coaching business and let the coaches do their job? Maybe I'm just not around the coaches much, but it does seem that at Alcoa we don't have parents getting in the coaches' faces about what plays they called or whether or not junior got to play.

lbjtn:

I must correct you on a couple of points you made in your post: Kids that live in Alcoa don't "have to" go to Alcoa. They can go to a county school without paying tuition, since their parents pay both city & county taxes. If they go to Maryville, they have to pay tuition, since their parents pay Alcoa & county taxes, but not Maryville taxes.

Also, ALCOA (the aluminum company) is now a mere shadow of its former self. Personally, I know very few people who still have a job there. It used to be true that most of the kids' parents worked there, but now I don't think that's the case.

fiftyish: here's another point to your question: How about parents who stay out of the coaching business and let the coaches do their job? Maybe I'm just not around the coaches much, but it does seem that at Alcoa we don't have parents getting in the coaches' faces about what plays they called or whether or not junior got to play.

Good point. Parental interference can be very detrimental to a team as well as a fan base openly questioning calls made by the coaching staff.

and in alcoa's case, you must have open school zones. :popcorneater:

The thing is,when you have a good program,you will get tranfer students.Its the people around the program that make that happen.Its starts from the top and works it way down.You have to have people who want whats best for the kids,not theirself.Some school systems don't put that kind of money in it,and when theres no money its usually a weaker program.I don't blame people for taking their kids to programs where things are done right.

It starts in the weight room,kids have to be strong,you cant start the weight room in FEB.It needs to start when it can be legal to be in there.And the kids have to show up.And working on things in the off season legally of course.Get rid of the bad apples,they will bring a team down.Be strong and well conition when the season starts,and crisp. The early wins are key so that kids don't give up and start quiting on you.They have to play hard every play and give it all they got.When you start having good years more kids will come out,and you may start getting tranfer students in from programs that are not doing well.The more kids you have the more tallent they will be.

Coachs have to be be there thur all of this, instead of saying i don't get paid enough to do all this extra stuff,again that comes down to money.

I don't blame the schools for the transfer students they get.I blame the programs that let them get away.

DAWG ,you and all these other folks need to lose this thing about ALCOA recruiting ! I have lived in Alcoa all my life (60 years ) and it is a very small town and everyone in this town has to go to school there . If they go to Maryville or other schools , they must pay tuition . You can't accept the fact that this much talent can come out of one small town .Most students that pay tuition & come here don't even play sports ! They come for the excellent academic program that ALCOA has . You guys need to speak what you know . You don't have a clue about ALCOA ! Before integration of schools in the 60's , the Af-Amer school was a few blocks away from Alcoa High School , which was then all white . I am giving you a little Histoy here ! When the two schools merged , both always had tremendous atheletes . Putting the two together created a "Powerhouse " & has been that way every since . Don't talk to me about recruiting , when you don't know our History ! A town with only one school , everyone in that town has to go to the same school .

Be very careful about what you say until you get facts ! We have 1 Elementary school,1 Middle school & 1 high school . This town has always had the Aluminum,Co. of America here , which is where almost everyone works . The children have no other schools to attend but ALCOA ! This is the way it's always been ! Do some research on Alcoa , if you will ,you just might learn something !!!!!!!! :wacko:

i never wrote down the word recruiting in any of my posts. i said you guys have open school zones and yes you do have players that live outside your school zone. i do accept the fact that you guys have in house talent and that you probaly would have won some gold balls with it. but come on dude, i was born at night but not last night. if not for your open zones and the out of zone talent that pays tuition to go to alcoa. there is no way you would have 10 gold balls and getting 5 of them in a row..

Ok, so we can't win all those without ooz talent? Well here is your shining moment dawg44, tell us what ooz players made huge impacts and led to gold balls that our hometown talent couldn't of won by themselves. Name me some big name ooz players that went to alcoa just for high school. I don't think you can, I think it is pure speculation with little foundation.

Maryville. Probably the best coac

hed team in the state. Talent, sportsmanship, administrative and community support, a tradition rich program, and one of the most exciting teams to watch week-to-week. Known for 'special plays' that nobody expects.

and don't forget the most important thing. they all have open school zones. with that being said i'm gonna have to ram milan down everyone's throat with 6 state appearances and 4 gold balls and 27straight playoff appearances without open school zones. i want tell you what makes a championship team but i will tell you what makes a "TEAM" (what this thread should be about). GOOD KIDS. :wacko:

Dawg you need to get your info correct.Loudon doesn't have an open school zone.Heck,our school board won't let us admit any student that lives out side our county.

Alcoa72 here is my opinion on how the open zone has helped Alcoa: Kyrus Lanxter came from Bearden,Chris Shiverdecker came from Jeff. Co,Brian Somers came from Karns,and Tyler Robinson came from William Blount.Many others Iam sure I am not aware of.It helps.