What it takes to be a championship team

Thanks for your input Dmac. There has been a lot of good feedback on this thread and of course, a few hecklers. My intention was to talk about championship qualities of a team (no specific team). Throughout this season I have personally seen some championship teams in our area that deserve recognition - not just the ones still alive in the playoffs.

At this time, I would like to recognize those teams and I hope that some of you would make some positive feedback (without having a rivalry in your heart) and acknowledge who you feel are championship teams in your area. Please take a look at those teams on your schedule and give them some recognizition.

Alcoa. One of the best coached teams in the state. Excellent administrative and community support; great talent in the community; a strong weight and conditioning program; excellent sportsmanship on the field; unselfish players; and plenty of heart.

Maryville. Probably the best coac

hed team in the state. Talent, sportsmanship, administrative and community support, a tradition rich program, and one of the most exciting teams to watch week-to-week. Known for 'special plays' that nobody expects.

CAK. Excellent sportsmanship, well coached, talent and a team that plays with heart each time they step on the field.

Loudon. A 'never die' attitude, determined, well coached and plenty of heart.

These teams are champions, IMO, as defined by this post. Would love to hear from all of you that have something positive to add.

and don't forget the most important thing. they all have open school zones. with that being said i'm gonna have to ram milan down everyone's throat with 6 state appearances and 4 gold balls and 27straight playoff appearances without open school zones. i want tell you what makes a championship team but i will tell you what makes a "TEAM" (what this thread should be about). GOOD KIDS. :wacko:

Dawg you need to get your info correct.Loudon doesn't have an open school zone.Heck,our school board won't let us admit any student that lives out side our county.

Alcoa72 here is my opinion on how the open zone has helped Alcoa: Kyrus Lanxter came from Bearden,Chris Shiverdecker came from Jeff. Co,Brian Somers came from Karns,and Tyler Robinson came from William Blount.Many others Iam sure I am not aware of.It helps.

Shiverdecker moved to the city I thought so he was in the zone anyways. We won without sommers. I don't know too much about the rest, but I believe that while it helps it is far from the sole reason and I believe alcoa still wins without ooz. I thought a few of them also transfered but lived in limits. You also have to remember people in alcoa city can also go to county schools if they choose to.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dawg you need to get your info correct.Loudon doesn't have an open school zone.Heck,our school board won't let us admit any student that lives out side our county.

Alcoa72 here is my opinion on how the open zone has helped Alcoa: Kyrus Lanxter came from Bearden,Chris Shiverdecker came from Jeff. Co,Brian Somers came from Karns,and Tyler Robinson came from William Blount.Many others Iam sure I am not aware of.It helps.

i never in any of my posts mentioned loudon. maybe you should open them up. probaly only way you'll ever compete with alcoa.

What does it take to be a state championship team and a powerhouse for multiple years?? I have seen these discussions on other state high school football boards. Some of my thoughts........

A. You must have confidence and experience. The players and coaches must believe in themselves and all members of the team. Playmakers have to step up and produce when they are behind. Teammates and coaches are encouraging each other to be the best they can be.

B. Support from parents, boosters and the community at large. When all pull together to meet the financial needs of the team, the coaches can then concentrate on teaching our kids the game of football. The players have pride in their program, win or lose knowing that they are supported both financially and emotionally through all they achieve.

C. Good Athletic Directors and Administrative Support. Without this support, the team will always feel they are fighting an uphill battle. Encouragement and leadership in these areas boost morale for both coaches and players.

D. Having a good feeder system. Quality coaching at middle school and JV levels prepare these kids for leadership positions on their high school team. Consistency is also a key in this area.

E. Conditioning and strength programs are also key. Being 1/2 step quicker and a little bit stronger than the opponent across the field creates opportunities for the entire team.

F. Coaching. Pure knowledge of the game and the ability to get the most from the talent you have on the field is key. Discipline, discipline, discipline is mandatory to lead a group of young men to achieve success and to learn from mistakes.

Your thoughts??

I also think you've got to have some outstanding players as well. Notable players!

Sorry to get off of the "let's be mad at alcoa" thread but I wanted to post some observations of what makes a big difference in teams. Location! I say this not because of athletic ability or size because other than a few places in knoxville, nashville, and memphis, kids are mostly the same all over the state. I mean Tennessee is not overflowing with Division I prospects. I say location because of what I have experienced in my young coaching career. I coach in Northeast Tennessee, which is known as probably the weakest part of the state for football. In coaching up here, I notice that a lot of the kids do not have what I had growing up, and that is football I.Q. They do not know what a football player is supposed to look like, act like, or work like. When I grew up I did not have to be told by my coach that it's easier to catch if you have gloves, or that receivers run faster if they wear low top cleats. This may sound silly, but it is really what some schools have to deal with. Now, location factors into this because look at how far we are from ANY college football. We are 2 hours away from UT and 2 1/2 hours away from Virginia Tech. The majority of these kids up here haven't seen what football is all about besides what is in the mountains of Northeast Tennessee. High Schools that are lucky enough to be around good college football programs and see football in person are usually successful. That is just my observation and our coaching staff's biggest problem. Knowing what quality football is supposed to be like.

Thanks for your input Dmac. There has been a lot of good feedback on this thread and of course, a few hecklers. My intention was to talk about championship qualities of a team (no specific team). Throughout this season I have personally seen some championship teams in our area that deserve recognition - not just the ones still alive in the playoffs.

At this time, I would like to recognize those teams and I hope that some of you would make some positive feedback (without having a rivalry in your heart) and acknowledge who you feel are championship teams in your area. Please take a look at those teams on your schedule and give them some recognizition.

Alcoa. One of the best coached teams in the state. Excellent administrative and community support; great talent in the community; a strong weight and conditioning program; excellent sportsmanship on the field; unselfish players; and plenty of heart.

Maryville. Probably the best coached team in the state. Talent, sportsmanship, administrative and

community support, a tradition rich program, and one of the most exciting teams to watch week-to-week. Known for 'special plays' that nobody expects.

CAK. Excellent sportsmanship, well coached, talent and a team that plays with heart each time they step on the field.

Loudon. A 'never die' attitude, determined, well coached and plenty of heart.

These teams are champions, IMO, as defined by this post. Would love to hear from all of you that have something positive to add.

and don't forget the most important thing. they all have open school zones. with that being said i'm gonna have to ram milan down everyone's throat with 6 state appearances and 4 gold balls and 27straight playoff appearances without open school zones. i want tell you what makes a championship team but i will tell you what makes a "TEAM" (what this thread should be about). GOOD KIDS. :wacko:

You didn't say Loudon but who is the " they" your talking about in this post.Also,I bet we competedbetter with them than you do Friday.

You didn't say Loudon but who is the " they" your talking about in this post.Also,I bet we competedbetter with them than you do Friday.

ok little dude. i've looked through all my posts on this thread and i never mentioned the word "they" either. so i don't know what your problem is. i don't have a problem with loudon. so you must be a closet alcoa fan. :blink:

ok little dude. i've looked through all my posts on this thread and i never mentioned the word "they" either. so i don't know what your problem is. i don't have a problem with loudon. so you must be a closet alcoa fan. :blink:

Little dude,proves you don't know me.Check the post right above my last one.You said and I quote, "...and remeber they all have open school zone." You were responding to fiftymom after she had been talking about CAK and Loudon.No problem,just pointing out that Loudon does not have open zone.

PS:No were close to being an Alcoa fan.

Little dude,proves you don't know me.Check the post right above my last one.You said and I quote, "...and remeber they all have open school zone." You were responding to fiftymom after she had been talking about CAK and Loudon.No problem,just pointing out that Loudon does not have open zone.

PS:No were close to being an Alcoa fan.

my bad. i did say "they". ole dawg will admit when he's wrong. i just didn't mean to say "they all". i was only referring to alcoa. don't take the "little dude " thing serious. i call everybody that. it's just a me thing. like i said, nuthing against loudon. you guys have a good program as far as i'm concerned. but you'll never get over the alcoa hump until they close their zones, or you just get lucky.

Shiverdecker moved to the city I thought so he was in the zone anyways. We won without sommers. I don't know too much about the rest, but I believe that while it helps it is far from the sole reason and I believe alcoa still wins without ooz. I thought a few of them also transfered but lived in limits. You also have to remember people in alcoa city can also go to county schools if they choose to.

Shivy lived in Alcoa, Lanxter lived in Alcoa, and Robinson's dad works for the city of Alcoa. As mcwrestler said, "we won without Sommers". Robinson transferred to AMS from WBMS because of the academics, the athletics was just an added bonus. This I know for a fact. I also know that Lanxter moved from Knoxville to Alcoa to play basketball.

People coming on here saying that their school doesn't allow ooz students need to check their policy. They can be found online. Here's one I found:

http://www.tsba.net/production/detail.a ... &iBoard=21

And yet another:

http://www.tsba.net/production/detail.a ... &iBoard=70

Now look at Alcoa's:

http://alcoaschools.net/district_page__ ... t_students

Need more? Now, before people get on here & talk about how "it's different with us", your policy wouldn't say so. Compare the policies...hmmmmm...

:roflol: