Big Games in Memphis ... Week 13 (Quarters & Semis)

kwc

Man oh man here we go! State playoffs ... Quartefinals and Semifinals are being played and the City of Memphis has six teams still playing. There is one thing we know for certain. The City of Memphis is GARUNTEED two teams to be playing in the semi finals in Division I; one in 5A and one in 6A ... and both teams will be representing District 16. There is a possibility that there will be two teams from the City of Memphis playing in the Division II finals if both MUS and ECS advance as well.

*applause*

Who would have thought that Melrose would still be standing tall after their rough start at the beginning of the year ... but the level of competition that they played is now paying dividends. Their defense is back the the Melrose of old as the have demonstrated in the past two playoff games that they have played by only allowing Bartlett 9 points and relegating Hardin County to a doughnut on the scoreboard in the 2nd round game. Mitchell, with it's high octane offense has scored a total of 108 points in it's first two playoff games. White Station doesn't appear to have been tested either while Whitehaven had to beat the two toughest District 15 teams in successive weeks with some pretty stout/stingy defense. (Why teams keep trying to throw balls in Chaz Moore's direction is beyond me) MUS wasn't tested when they mauled Baylor 38-7 and ECS didn't even break a sweat when they embarrased FRA 42-3. This week ... there will two different QUARTERFINAL games being played in the City's limits and there will be two different SEMIFINAL games being played in the City's limits and they are all listed as follows:

5A

Mitchell @ Melrose

6A

Whitehaven @ White Station

D-2, A

Knoxville Webb @ ECS

D-2, AA

Father Ryan @ MUS

My picks:

Melrose has enough 'D' and 'O' to beat Mitchell ... 24-21

Whitehaven gets revenge in a defensive fight ..... 21-17

ECS overwhelms a roadweary Knox Webb ........... 30-17

MUS demonstrates why they are the best in TN ... 35-10

Yes ... I'm a Whitehaven homer ... so sue me ... RESPECT DA HAVEN!

Now, I want to see what/who everybody else is going to pick.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Mitchell in a rematch. 28-24. That offense is truely clicking on another level and though I'm sure Melrose has a better D(speed and size wise) than Lawrence County or Jackson Northside I think this offense is flying on cloud 9! Malone goes for another big and starts showing the country he is one of the best WRs!

As for the Whitehaven game, I'm going with the Spartans. The main reason being...COACHING! Bad clock management against Gtown, conservative play calling, and other coaching mishaps will plague them against a White Station team that both its defense and its offense seem to be clicking at the right time. White Station 33 Whitehaven 20

ECS 28 Knox Web 24- Very close game, but I think ECS keeps them at bay.

MUS 42 Father Ryan 17- No worries of rust for the Owls which means they'll clicking on all cylinders from beginning to end.

Man oh man here we go! State playoffs ... Quartefinals and Semifinals are being played and the City of Memphis has six teams still playing. There is one thing we know for certain. The City of Memphis is GARUNTEED two teams to be playing in the semi finals in Division I; one in 5A and one in 6A ... and both teams will be representing District 16. There is a possibility that there will be two teams from the City of Memphis playing in the Division II finals if both MUS and ECS advance as well.

*applause*

My picks:

Defense is the name of the game in the playoffs, especially in the late-rounds! If you've got it, you advance.........If you don't--you go home!!!

--------------------------------------------------

Melrose 33 -- Mitchell 22 ... Mitchell's "D" is too porous; its "O" gets snatched back down to earth!

WS 28 -- WH 14 ..... New game, same old result. WH's offense can't keep pace; its pass-defense will get blitzed!

--------------------------------------------------------------

ECS 17 -- Knox Webb 14...... ECS home-field advantage; nail-biter.

MUS 35 -- FR 13 ...... MUS' defense is simply too stout for Father Ryan!

Mitchell 20 @ Melrose 26

Whitehaven 21 @ White Station 34

Knoxville Webb 17 @ ECS 35

Father Ryan 13 @ MUS 38

Looking back at the past two threads I'm 20 for 20 picking playoff games...24 for 24 has a nice ring to it. B)

Dude, that's one heck of a track record! B)

I believe that 24 for 24 is what you'll be, after this Friday nite!

*applause*

Who would have thought that Melrose would still be standing tall after their rough start at the beginning of the year ... but the level of competition that they played is now paying dividends. Their defense is back the the Melrose of old as the have demonstrated in the past two playoff games that they have played by only allowing Bartlett 9 points and relegating Hardin County to a doughnut on the scoreboard in the 2nd round game. Mitchell, with it's high octane offense has scored a total of 108 points in it's first two playoff games. White Station doesn't appear to have been tested either while Whitehaven had to beat the two toughest District 15 teams in successive weeks with some pretty stout/stingy defense. (Why teams keep trying to throw balls in Chaz Moore's direction is beyond me) MUS wasn't tested when they mauled Baylor 38-7 and ECS didn't even break a sweat when they embarrased FRA 42-3. This week ... there will two different QUARTERFINAL games being played in the City's limits and there will be two different SEMIFINAL games being played in the City's limits and they are all listed as follows:

5A

Mitchell @ Melrose

6A

D-2, A

Knoxville Webb @ ECS

D-2, AA

Father Ryan @ MUS

My picks:

I think Melrose gets by Mitchell again. 32-24

Witehaven vs White Station--I don't guess it's a secret who I'm pulling for here.

ECS 31 Knox Webb 21....totally guessing

MUS continues rolling 35-14

*applause*

5A

Mitchell @ Melrose

6A

D-2, A

Knoxville Webb @ ECS

D-2, AA

Father Ryan @ MUS

My picks:

Great repsentation from Memphis my friends! I seen early this year don't remember where someone made a stupid statement that Memphis football is weak! Always great athletes from the city of Memphis! It doesn't matter if it football or basketball! I wish ever one of them good luck and i know they will repesent West Tn well!! Good luck once again!! :popcorneater:

Great repsentation from Memphis my friends! I seen early this year don't remember where someone made a stupid statement that Memphis football is weak! Always great athletes from the city of Memphis! It doesn't matter if it football or basketball! I wish ever one of them good luck and i know they will repesent West Tn well!! Goo luck once again!! :popcorneater:

Zebra99:

Memphis high school football produces quite a few D1 football players every year. This year is no exception. That being said; it has been the Achilles Heel for the public school teams to make it past the semi-finals. I don't know if any of the teams still standing will do it this year either. We will cross that bridge when we come to it. I do know this ... all four left (public school teams) are capable. That's all you can ask for. Whoever makes it to the semi-finals in both classifications will have everybody's support from then on out ... I'm confident of that statement as well.

The reason I pick Mitchell, is Melrose has beat weak teams in the playoffs. I have seen both and more than likely they would have lost to anyone they played. Although I am pulling for Melrose. :roflol:

I have no dog in this fight but saying Melrose has played weak foes. They just shut out a 9-2 team in Hardin county. Of course HC has not seen the athletes Melrose has all year either. Mitchell is loaded with athletes as well should be a great game to see! Good luck to both teams! :roflol: