Big Games in Memphis ... Week 13 (Quarters & Semis)

kwc

As good as District 16 is, the teams from Rutherford County are that much better. Whitehaven would probably stand a better chance against an Oakland or a Riverdale than White Station, but if you think Whitehaven, even with all of their athletes, could score on Oakland's defense, you are nuts. Oakland is giving up a touchdown a game and Riverdale is only giving up 10 points an outing. And both of them play in hands down the best district in Tennessee.

I'm from this side of the state, so I'd love to see West Tennessee close the gap some, but let's be honest, it hasn't happened yet.

Why do you think that Whitehaven would fare better vs Oakland or Riverdale, than would White Station?

Why do you think that Oakland would shut out Whitehaven?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright before people start ganging up on me I love West Tenn football. I pull for West TN every year in the playoffs, but I have to agree Middle Tenn is historically better for some reason. I just did the math and overall since 1969 this is how the state titles shape up. West Tn-33, East Tn-64 and Middle TN-76. That is domination my friends and until our side of the state starts showing up consistently in the champ game it is gonna be like this. People are always gonna think we have the weakest part of the state in terms of high school football. One reason I think this is true is because of the support these teams in other parts get. Yeah you have some programs here and there in the city of Memphis that support their program, but lets be honest most dont. I dont mean just showing up to the game either. It is made up of hiring capable coaches, not your buddy who used to coach little league with ya, not the girls volleyball coach who says he watches it on tv, not a frat brother...etc. Yes these are all real examples that have taken place in the city of Memphis. Trust me I know I coached in the city for 5 yrs. Booster clubs. Got have good ones to run a great program. Saw it first hand this year at Arlington and other places, Millington...etc. Administrative support to bring a capable staff and not some joeblo off the street..See above example on coaches. Community support. Melrose is a not so safe part of town, but these people flock to the game and the same with Whitehaven. Got to have these types of things. Im sorry people most other parts of the state have these things. It is the truth and it hurts.

I agree with FootballIsMyLife and Ace5. They couldn't be more right. It kind of seems like some of the people on here are homers, not that there is anything wrong with that. It's great that you have a favorite team and you support them no matter what. However, I would bet my life savings that Ace5 and I have seen more high school football statewide than anyone else involved in this conversation. We go to games on bye weeks. We are at playoff games every week during the postseason, no matter what, and not just in the Memphis area. We have been to 12 straight state championship weekends. We know coaches across the state. We have seen first hand how things are done differently east of here. I already know what the next comment will say, but we aren't hating on football in Memphis. Like Ace5 said, we are from the area and root for football in Memphis.

Alright before people start ganging up on me I love West Tenn football. I pull for West TN every year in the playoffs, but I have to agree Middle Tenn is historically better for some reason. I just did the math and overall since 1969 this is how the state titles shape up. West Tn-33, East Tn-64 and Middle TN-76. That is domination my friends and until our side of the state starts showing up consistently in the champ game it is gonna be like this. People are always gonna think we have the weakest part of the state in terms of high school football. One reason I think this is true is because of the support these teams in other parts get....

Ace5,

I also love West Tennessee football, but........I also happen to agree with FootballisMyLife regarding the difference between West TN football and the rest of the State!

For me, the proof is in the pudding: State Championships won is the end-all-be-all, in determining the best football..... The above stats are unequivocal and indisputable.

It pains me to admit this, but (since I'm a realist)-- West Tennessee still has a long ways to go to catch up with the rest of the State in football, overall!

There is no comparison between West and Middle TN. If you take Maryville and Alcoa Ttwo great programs) out of the East, it would be even more lopsided to Middle TN. In 6A, the Rutherford County schools are far better and I'm not sure the Williamson County schools aren't as well. In 5A, I believe the two remaining Sumner County schools are both better than the Memphis schools. Just how I see it...

As good as District 16 is, the teams from Rutherford County are that much better. Whitehaven would probably stand a better chance against an Oakland or a Riverdale than White Station, but if you think Whitehaven, even with all of their athletes, could score on Oakland's defense, you are nuts. Oakland is giving up a touchdown a game and Riverdale is only giving up 10 points an outing. And both of them play in hands down the best district in Tennessee.

I'm from this side of the state, so I'd love to see West Tennessee close the gap some, but let's be honest, it hasn't happened yet.

Why do you think that Whitehaven would fare better vs Oakland or Riverdale, than would White Station?

I think Whitehaven has better athletes than White Station and that would help them against a Rutherford County team. I've seen White Station and I've seen Oakland in the last few weeks, and I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that White Station would have any success against Oakland's defense.

Oakland's defense is unreal. They have shut out several teams this year, and some of those teams are better than Whitehaven.

A lot of it also has to do with coaching. I'd take Aydelott and McDaniel over Rutherford and Saulsberry any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I think Whitehaven has better athletes than White Station and that would help them against a Rutherford County team. I've seen White Station and I've seen Oakland in the last few weeks, and I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that White Station would have any success against Oakland's defense.

Oakland's defense is unreal. They have shut out several teams this year, and some of those teams are better than Whitehaven.

A lot of it also has to do with coaching. I'd take Aydelott and McDaniel over Rutherford and Saulsberry any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Well tell us how u really feel why don't ya!!! :roflolk:

The first statement I highlighted is a statement that we don't agree upon. I think you don't give enough credit to the athletes on the White Station team. They are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and Whitehaven doesn't have any advantage in that category. We can agree to disagree however.

The second thing that I highlighted is a coach I am familiar with and he isn't a coaching wonder or a coaching virtuoso in any regards in my book. Yes ... he is a good coach but you can have him ... I'll take Rutherford and Saulsberry. I'm not familiar with McDaniel to make any comments on his coaching ability.

Again ... those teams that YOU THINK are better then Whitehaven ... I Don't.

The first statement I highlighted is a statement that we don't agree upon. I think you don't give enough credit to the athletes on the White Station team. They are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and Whitehaven doesn't have any advantage in that category. We can agree to disagree however.

The second thing that I highlighted is a coach I am familiar with and he isn't a coaching wonder or a coaching virtuoso in any regards in my book. Yes ... he is a good coach but you can have him ... I'll take Rutherford and Saulsberry. I'm not familiar with McDaniel to make any comments on his coaching ability.

Again ... those teams that YOU THINK are better then Whitehaven ... I Don't.

Time will tell. We will see who's in the championship game and who is not.

If I'm not mistaken, this is McDaniel's 3rd year as a head coach. He took Moore County from 3-7 to 7-4 in his first year. Then Oakland came calling, and we all saw what he did at Oakland last year after that team was just mediocre for years.

What's wrong with Aydelott, other than him running a version of the Wing-T?

If I'm not mistaken, this is McDaniel's 3rd year as a head coach. He took Moore County from 3-7 to 7-4 in his first year. Then Oakland came calling, and we all saw what he did at Oakland last year after that team was just mediocre for years.

Ah, it's nice to see smart people on this message board. It's crazy to me that people are still arguing this when there is tons of proof out there. Get out of your little your little bubble and see what else is out there.

FootballIsMyLife, you are exactly right about Coach McDaniel. I know you said you get around to watch football, it sounds like you know your stuff. Where you going this weekend?

Aydelott was pretty darn successful at Hillsboro, was he not? And after a down year at Riverdale, he's back on top of the state in 6A.

Time will tell. We will see who's in the championship game and who is not.

What's wrong with Aydelott, other than him running a version of the Wing-T?

The first item I highlighted distinguishes the differences in our argument. Playing in the championship game does not indicate the level of coaching or the level of quality of teams for an entire region or regions. THAT is my argument. I KNOW THERE ARE FOLKS WHO THINK THAT CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE THE END ADD/TELL ALL. I am not one of them ... especially because of how the earlier rounds are played. IF you are using semi-finals and championships games as your source of empirical data ... then your results will always be skewed for the simple fact of how the preceding games are regionalized. The only TRUE data that could be conclusive and thorough would be a mixture of cross state play at the BEGINNING of the playoffs ... NOT at the end. IF YOU CAN'T SEE THAT IT IS BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE IT.

The second item I've highlighted is a verification of how we can have these discussions ... yet things get misrepresented totally. I never said that there was ANYTHING WRONG with that coach. I even said that he was a good coach. I'm not taking anything away from him as a coach. I think the two coaches from Memphis are just as good. (Who said anything about the Wing-T?)

Ah, it's nice to see smart people on this message board. It's crazy to me that people are still arguing this when there is tons of proof out there. Get out of your little your little bubble and see what else is out there.

FootballIsMyLife, you are exactly right about Coach McDaniel. I know you said you get around to watch football, it sounds like you know your stuff. Where you going this weekend?

Aydelott was pretty darn successful at Hillsboro, was he not? And after a down year at Riverdale, he's back on top of the state in 6A.

BMack:

I'm not new to this board and neither are you. I've presented my argument and the logic behind my thinking. You don't have to agree. That's your prerogative. But since my thinking doesn't go along with your line of thinking or that of the mainstream ... the person with whom I am making my statement to is considered smart and by virtue of implication ... I'm not. (I know you didn't come out and say that I'm not smart ... ergo the words "virtue of implication") You have read my comments and you have followed my logic ... If because I don't agree with you and others is in your opinion a declaration that I’m not smart ... then consider me that indeed sir.

It's not that cut and dry. I've stated my reasons. If my thinking doesn't make sense to you, fine. It has nothing to do with me being a homer because I have seen other teams play besides those in my area of the state.

I will continue to be crazy to you.

Have a good day my man.