Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

Riverdale fans, If you haven't been over to the Farragut web site and watched Maryville dismantle Farragut you should do that. Their offense is VERY good and balanced. Looks like the key is to get pressure on the QB while maintaining containment...that's a pretty tough assignment against any team. The stats I found he is their second leading rusher and he definitely takes off from the pocket. Look at some of the passes against Farragut...that's the best arm Riverdale has seen all year. Bottom line is that the Warrior defense will need to have it's best game of the season and the wing-t needs to do it's job and control the ball. I do think there are some areas where Riverdale has the advantage so we definitely have a fighting chance.

Maryville looks a lot like the Rankin teams that used to be at Riverdale. They have a system...everyone grew up in the system and understands the system. Everybody knows what to do. Just like Rankin, they will go for the juggler and try to end the game in the first quarter. They put up 14 on Farragut before the Admirals even got warmed up. The Riverdale defense better be ready from the very first play.

You can also catch both Riverdale's and Maryville's earlier games against Farragut on the Farragut site. Both teams have come a long, long way since those first games.

You can get a sense of the regular season stats for Maryville from the site below. I'm not sure I trust all of them but you can get the idea of how balanced they are. Interesting 7 touchdowns from their defense and special teams...almost one per game.

http://stats.prepxtra.com/football/boys/teams/3388/2009-2010/

The biggest thing about this game is that both teams seem to be playing their best football right now...I expect a score of about 28-21, and it could go either way.

Doesn't look like I'm going to make this game. Wife has to work on Friday and, so far, hasn't been able to work it out. I don't think I've missed a Riverdale playoff game this century so I'm still hopeful we'll get it figured out.

Can anyone link, or post, a roster for Maryville?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post TDC. I have a hard time being objective when analyzing a team I follow and I never pick scores for Maryville games. I can look at an Alcoa, WB, or Heritage game (against another team) more objectively than I can a Rebels game. They all worry me before the game. Safe travels to the Riverdale fans that make the trip. RED REBELS

Thanks for linking the Riverdale articles guys . What this reaffirms to me Is just how Pathetic our local Newspaper really Is . Maryville and Alcoa have arguably had the 2 best programs In the state the last few years , but they are without a doubt 2 of the least covered teams in the State by their local Media . It seems to me like the Daily Times Is so worried about offending the County Schools , that they go out of their way to downplay anything Maryville and Alcoa does . Our head coach has attracted the National media's attention , plus he Is going to be the Head Coach In a Nationally televised High School all-star game , but If you just relied on the Local Media for this Information you probably would have missed that news . Sorry to go off on a rant guys , but It kills me seeing 1 or 2 articles a day from the Riverdale Media ..... while the silence from the Maryville local media is deafening ... and has been for years .

Coming up from Atlanta to see this one...............Where should we eat? any suggestions?

Are you coming up US 411 (slow down in Benton, Englewood, and Etowah) or I-75?

US 411 comes into Maryville from the SW and you would pass Gondolier, Beef O'Brady's, Pancho's, TGIFridays, 411 Restaurant.

If you come up I-75 it depends on if you come into Maryville on US321 (L.A. Parkway) or I-140 (Pellissippi Parkway).

321 takes you right by Aubery's, Lemongrass, UNO Pizza, Ruby Tuesday's, Shoney's, McD's, BK, (close to Taco Bell, KFC, Long John/A&W, Chick-fil-a)

The I-140 to US129 way will take you by Puleo's, Texas Road House (Look out for Dalton), O'Charley's, Panera, Five Guys, Buffalo Wild Wings, Ryan's, Zaxby's, Salsa Rita's, Chick-fil-a, Cracker Barrel etc...

Thanks for linking the Riverdale articles guys . What this reaffirms to me Is just how Pathetic our local Newspaper really Is . Maryville and Alcoa have arguably had the 2 best programs In the state the last few years , but they are without a doubt 2 of the least covered teams in the State by their local Media . It seems to me like the Daily Times Is so worried about offending the County Schools , that they go out of their way to downplay anything Maryville and Alcoa does.

They have even started putting in Sequoyah sports articles trying to build readership in Vonore/Madisonville. I don't have a problem w/ Greenback or the County Schools, but you are right there should be game previews and features all week for MHS/Riverdale and Alcoa/Elizabethton.

Thanks for linking the Riverdale articles guys ... ... while the silence from the Maryville local media is deafening ... and has been for years .

pepvol, people here don't realize just how lucky they are. Literally 30 minutes from an NFL franchise, an NHL franchise, a AAA baseball team and an SEC program and a D1 program in the same town, our kids get a lot of great coverage. The complaint here isn't about any coverage, but each school complains that the others get more. Reminds me of a litter of puppies. You go to pet one and the rest want you to pet them too. Our local writers do a great job of covering the kids. I still have a laminated copy on the wall of my son's interview going into his junior year - and he was the kick-off kicker. Not the PAT and FG kicker, just the kickoff kicker. But he was the topic of a pre-season column. Tomorrow's story in our local paper is a pretty special one.

Coming up from Atlanta to see this one...............Where should we eat? any suggestions?

Are you coming up US 411 (slow down in Benton, Englewood, and Etowah) or I-75?

US 411 comes into Maryville from the SW and you would pass Gondolier, Beef O'Brady's, Pancho's, TGIFridays, 411 Restaurant.

If you come up I-75 it depends on if you come into Maryville on US321 (L.A. Parkway) or I-140 (Pellissippi Parkway).

321 takes you right by Aubery's, Lemongrass, UNO Pizza, Ruby Tuesday's, Shoney's, McD's, BK, (close to Taco Bell, KFC, Long John/A&W, Chick-fil-a)

The I-140 to US129 way will take you by Puleo's, Texas Road House (Look out for Dalton), O'Charley's, Panera, Five Guys, Buffalo Wild Wings, Ryan's, Zaxby's, Salsa Rita's, Chick-fil-a, Cracker Barrel etc...

We are coming up 75............thanks for the info!!

I suspect early stops (or lack thereof) will be crucial. If Riverdale can possess the ball on long, time consuming and point productive drives, a premium is then placed on each Maryville possession that follows. With a slow start it might seem as though the Rebels never have even the opportunity to play catch-up. Conversely, if Maryville can again jump out to an early lead and get a few stops, Riverdale then either plays into Maryville's hand by staying with its usual plodding style or by getting out of its comfort zone, deviating from what it does best. Neither team appears particularly explosive in its running game. The greater liklihood of a big play goes to Maryville, in my opinion, with Horne and Romberg as receivers. It looks to me like Maryville is a little more diverse, but if games are won in the trenches, I'd say Riverdale has the edge. Heck, it could be as simple as which team stops the opposing QB on critical 3rd downs, because from what I've seen, neither is going to hand it off on those plays.