Class 4a State Championship Greeneville vs. Giles

DevilMan03

I'm not a very good detective, lol.

Good coaches always respect their opponents, and play mind games as well; don't get too excited. I'm still not sure how it's gonna go on Saturday.

Oc is a class act. I have never heard him say anything disrespectful in his 4 years at Giles. He always goes into a game saying that the team is going to be tough and the kids will have to give their all(even if he doesn't believe it).

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Connor said Greeneville will be a challenge for the Bobcats.

"Greeneville has beaten three teams that I don't think we could beat (in the playoffs)," O'Connor said. "Those guys are awful good. It's going to be tough on us. I think we came through an easier side of the bracket."

Greeneville made it through its side of the bracket and to the state championship game with a balanced team.

Well this kinda made me smile a bit... :blush::lol::roflol:

He may have said it, but I don't think he believes it. That's old school coach talk.

O'Connor said Greeneville will be a challenge for the Bobcats.

"Greeneville has beaten three teams that I don't think we could beat (in the playoffs)," O'Connor said. "Those guys are awful good. It's going to be tough on us. I think we came through an easier side of the bracket."

Greeneville made it through its side of the bracket and to the state championship game with a balanced team.

Well this kinda made me smile a bit... :lol::roflol::blush:

Good on you OC! He's always been really gracious and as humble as he can be when it comes to talking to the media and I'm sure now it's no different. If OC didn't think his team was going to win he wouldn't put them on the bus, and that's how it should be. Now granted I too think that the Cats came out of a much easier side of the bracket and you have to give Greenville their due on beating Red Bank when nobody but the Greenville fans thought they could win. BUT, that being said. That's the past, Saturday is the future. It would be really easy for a team to get content with just making it this far, let's hope it's not the case for either one of these teams. I'm driving down from Rocky Top, I want to see a good old fashioned knock down drag-out between two good teams (hoping that Giles County can come out on top of course)

As for balance, I don't know much about Greenville, I can't pretend to know what kind of offense they run or who their main threats are. But I can tell you this, this team obviously has some cajones if they sacked up and beat a very good Red Bank team in a close game. It's not coincidence or luck at this point in the game. I have a very hard time believing after seeing Giles County play and utterly destroy 5A Shelbyville that their offense can be shut down. It's nigh unto impossible unless you can fit another 5 men on the field without the ref looking. It's the same song sung by anybody who knows GC football, you take one thing away, and it opens up another. I've never seen a high school team that can just exploit a weakness in a defense like Giles County can, it's unreal. The wide outs may not be tall but it's insane how athletic these guys are. Then of course you have Josh "Arms" Smith and Tobias Houston, thunder and more thunder. You're hard pressed to find a more yoked up kid that can carry the mail and go into tackles as hard as he can. Tobias i think has a little more agility, little more break away speed than the double deuce but he can still lower that pad and run somebody over. Then if you can get past that gauntlet, there's Mr. Football looking back at you, trying to make the decision to throw to the sensation Zach Bailey or run for a first down. SOLID. Defensive numbers speak for themselves, held liberty tech to 14 points, and have outscored their opponents almost 3:1 in the post season.

I'll be there repping my Alex Ballentine throwback hoodie :lol:

We've heard it all year long, you played a weak schedule, your DB's are to short, your receivers aren't tall enough, your linebackers are small. We may have played a weaker bracket, we may have smaller players than most other teams, but everyone one of those boys on that field have dedication, determination and heart. That's why they are going to state sounds like Greeneville has faced alot of the same things we have and that is why they will be meeting us at state. I don't believe there is a player on that teams that doesn't know that Greeneville is for real, and regardless if Giles played a weaker bracket or not they are also for real. Oh yeah and another thing those smaller players really like to knock the FIRE SNOT(thanks Barb-love that expression) out of the other team.

Hey Boys,

You said something about Giles exploiting weakness in other teams defenses. The thing is Greeneville doesn't really have a weakness in their "D". I'm not saying the defense will stop Bo and Company but I think they can contain them. If I'm wrong and Giles can find a chink in Greeneville's "D", then it will be a fairly easy afternoon for the Bobcats in my opinion.

Hey Boys,

You said something about Giles exploiting weakness in other teams defenses. The thing is Greeneville doesn't really have a weakness in their "D". I'm not saying the defense will stop Bo and Company but I think they can contain them. If I'm wrong and Giles can find a chink in Greeneville's "D", then it will be a fairly easy afternoon for the Bobcats in my opinion.

Didn't say a thing about exploiting weaknesses and didn't say Greeneville had one. I was just pointing out what has been said about Giles all year long cause there again someone brought up the point of GC playing a weaker schedule. If I pointed out any weakness it would be that Giles has some smaller players but also wanted it to be known even though they are smaller they ain't afraid to hit. As far as an easy afternoon, I really don't think so, it's been made pretty clear both these teams are in it to win it. I try not to say things about something I know nothing about and except for what yall have told us I know nothing about Greeneville.

Hey Boys,

Didn't say a thing about exploiting weaknesses and didn't say Greeneville had one. I was just pointing out what has been said about Giles all year long cause there again someone brought up the point of GC playing a weaker schedule. If I pointed out any weakness it would be that Giles has some smaller players but also wanted it to be known even though they are smaller they ain't afraid to hit. As far as an easy afternoon, I really don't think so, it's been made pretty clear both these teams are in it to win it. I try not to say things about something I know nothing about and except for what yall have told us I know nothing about Greeneville.

Sorry Boys, that was norespect that said that.

Hey Boys,

Sorry Boys, that was norespect that said that.

Oh okay that says it all! :roflol:

Well, Giles County has the confidence factor going in. I don't think Greenville really thinks that they can win. We are smaller but are way more talented.

I really do not know how you get that one. Why would Greeneville not think they can win? What has Giles County done that Greeneville hasnt? Aside from a better record.. nothing. In addition, Greeneville's 3 losses were all close games to 3 very good teams. With that said, I guess Greeneville didnt think they could be the undefeated #1 team in the state Red Bank either. OH WAIT, they did beat them, because they knew they could win. Just like they know they can win this week. A good player, team, or coach will never go into a game thinking that they are gonna lose! It's high school football, any team can beat any team so you should always go into a game thinking you can win!