Beech vs. Columbia 5A State Championship

tandem

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as the season has progressed Central's D has improved...but they still are hit or miss, by that i mean that a different offensive weapon seems to do well against them in different games...right now, i do have to agree that passing d might be their smallest strength, but in the championship, i think it will be beech's run game that makes it a good game.

In the end, go Lions!

I was extremely impressed with the Lion's defense last night. Fleming and Goff were outstanding at LB and they were deep in the D-line. I wasn't as impressed with the offense or at least the play calling. Fumble in the red zone on the first drive after marching right down the field in one formation and go to the Wilcat and fumble. Scored a touchdown and then went back to the Wildcat for whatever reason. Intercept a pass and take it inside the red zone and come away with no points. I thought Bryant Belew was under utilized. It should have been 21-0 or 17-0 at halftime. Left a lot of points on the field.

CHS won with defense last night. Good job Lions! Represent.

Belew was lucky to play man, he was coming off a knee injury from the anderson gm. That may be the reason why, but expect him to shine in STATE!

Another reason he was ineffective was because he was being double covered every play. If Beech does that then they will leave the other receivers open and they are good as well. Especially number 7, little brother Eric Belew. Even though he is only a sophomore, he is still really good and has great hands. If Beech wants to win then they need to throw the ball. Central's secondary is sketchy and they don't stay with their receivers long enough. I think Central's run stopping ability gives them a chance to win this game. They have been on a magical run and I expect them to finish up with the story book ending. Good luck to both teams! Go Lions!

You Beech fans sure do sound confident, but I can't say anything cause I haven't seen Beech play. But when a team's defense shuts out another team and holds them to under thrity yards, that should tell you something when it was in the semi-finals of the playoffs. Shows something about the defense.

Oh and the offense can step up and march down the field all night long, the offense just tried out some new things last night. They still have another week to progress and learn from mistakes, which they will.

Go Lions!

It tells me what I already know - East TN football with the exception of Alcoa, Fulton, and Maryville isn't all that good - maybe Farragut - but upper east TN is a step behind that group... that's just the way it is...

I dont think Beech fans are sounding cocky just yet, i just think that we are confident in our run game. If you've seen a game you know how potent it is. So in that respect, its extremely unforseeable that Beech will be held to 30 yards rushing. Thats not so cocky is it? I mean we could've posted this topic as Beech is gonna win 5A State Championship for the next 10 years, like our good friend from Memphis Mitchell would like to do :roflol:

CHS has not seen an attack like Beech all year long,sure you held Sullivan to under 40 yards but in the post season your defense is giving up 23 ppg ( let us not say that your first two playoff teams Cleveland was 3-7 and Hillsboro was 3-7 and Hillsboro had only scored 20 pts in 4 games all season and one of them was against your team CHS)

To further I saw an INDY team manhandle you with over 270 yards rushing, and if INDY can do that I hate to see what BEECH will do..

For the record and it can be seen I am not a big fan of Summner Co football as they have been the whipping boys for WILCO for the last 10 years but BEECH is for real and you will not be able to stop them, you will try but....

i think that this is going to be a good game im from columbia and one of my friends playes for beech. he's told me they have been waiting for this game all season long.

the only problems i really see beech having is running the ball i personally don't think it's going to work every well for them. passing may be anothe story all together though unless columbia really steps up their pass D this week.

good advantage for central is they have a running back that is very talented i saw him drag about 5 guys 6-7 yards last week against AC. and not to mention the qb from what i've been hearing is probably the best in the state has a cannon for an arm. and the belew brothers are very good which lets them go deep when they need to.

in the end im going to have to go with central because i know almost half the team and they are determinded to win state this year and i think this is their year to shine.

Columbia's weakness is not run defense.... it's the secondary. The run defense makes teams one dimensional .... a double edged sword .....teams start to pass ... then eat Columbia up.

Now if Beech can reach the edge and force the corner backs/safeties to support ...it will be interesting.

Columbia is a team that was 3-7 the last two years..... lots of freshmen and sophomores played and they are coming of age. The problem Columbia has is that they don't know how good they are. At times they play to the level of the competition. Don't be fooled by the records of the teams they have played .... when any team gets to this level they are a darn good football team. It's all about match ups and I think Columbia matches up favorably against the run.

Columbia will hit you and play hard ...... they are a big physical team.

I'm at a disadvantage I haven't watched any tape of Beech but I'm sure they have a heck of a running game .... but know that Columbia has been hoping to play a running team to see how they truly stack up against the run ( they are sooo happy to be shut of the spread). Me? I'm looking forward to watching a smash mouth football game. May the best team win (my nickels on Columbia)

Columbia's weakness is not run defense.... it's the secondary. The run defense makes teams one dimensional .... a double edged sword .....teams start to pass ... then eat Columbia up.

Now if Beech can reach the edge and force the corner backs/safeties to support ...it will be interesting.

Columbia is a team that was 3-7 the last two years..... lots of freshmen and sophomores played and they are coming of age. The problem Columbia has is that they don't know how good they are. At times they play to the level of the competition. Don't be fooled by the records of the teams they have played .... when any team gets to this level they are a darn good football team. It's all about match ups and I think Columbia matches up favorably against the run.

Columbia will hit you and play hard ...... they are a big physical team.

I'm at a disadvantage I haven't watched any tape of Beech but I'm sure they have a heck of a running game .... but know that Columbia has been hoping to play a running team to see how they truly stack up against the run ( they are sooo happy to be shut of the spread). Me? I'm looking forward to watching a smash mouth football game. May the best team win (my nickels on Columbia)

Your hope may be your teams downfall in a running team like Beech -Columbia has given up about 4 to 5 games with teams rushing for 200 plus yards and INDY pushed them around.........

pick your your poison in any of the 3 backs that Beech has 1600, 700,500 yards- mark my words for you to win this game a MUST will be to hold BEECH to under 150 yds running and that is from the above mentioned with a 6.3,8.3 and 6.7 rush ave.