Can the Wing T win a title

diggerdog

I know it's never been at "THE HIGHEST LEVEL" but Roger Perry has won alot of games at Westmoreland, Portland, and Mt. Juliet running the Wing-T. If you can get your hands on some of Perry's game film just look at how his offense has evolved since he ran the Delaware style Wing at Westmoreland and Portland. Mike Duncan, his OC at Portland and Mt. Juliet, has had alot to do with that.

That being said, it is an effective offense. Many of the Urban Meyer type spread teams are running similar plays and philosophies to the Wing-T. (trap, sweep, option, boot) The biggest idea involved with the Wing-T is misdirection, much like the Urban Meyer system.

I think "THE HIGHEST LEVEL" part of your argument is weak. IMHO, if it can win somewhere it can win anywhere with a few tweaks and adjustments, (i.e. the Wildcat Jet Sweep Series.)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any offense can win with: the right coaching, talent and defense. Better put: a great defense can win with any offense.

As far as pro football goes, great QBs dominate the nfl. They make incredible plays in the passing game as routine as a dive play. The pro passing game is impossible to stop with any of the top 5-10 QBs. It has nothing to do with the 5yd illegal contact rule either**. It is because those qb's can throw a football thru a 3ft diameter window anywhere inside of 30-40 yds from the line of scrimage with timing and velocity. They have continuity with the same players, coaches and system for years, sometimes a decade. Ex. Brett Farve has played in the West Coast offense for 16 yrs or more, with that arm. These QBs are the best 5-10 in the world. Think about that, the top 5 "3 point shooters in the world", but they're shooting for six every play from anywhere on the field. What play would you call?

**(That rule was put into play in the early 2000's because it made PI and defense holding easier to call and less subjective. Took it away from the refs. ex. NE early 2000's would tackle all backs at the line of scrimage and be in constant contact at other times. Games that brought this change NE vs IND, NE vs STL (SB)).

I just have ONE question for the WingT supporters. If it is such a GREAT offense, can you name ONE pro team that is using it? I take it the NFL does have some compitant 'Jimmys and Joes'! dry.gif

How many NFL teams run the zone read with the QB...Same reason...They would get someone killed!!!

Also the NFL get to draft their Jimmys and Joes! Come on Lost Old Dad you are smarter than that!!!

I enjoy most of your posts but this one??????

:rolleyes::thumb:

Valdosta High School in Georgia won MANY state titles through the years and they ran the Wing-T.

Where's Valdosta now. The can't even when there district. Lowndes High School owns that district.

It doesn't matter where Valdosta is now. Someone is asking the STUPID question "Can the Wing T win a title" and the answer is NO! Can a team who RUNS THE WING T win a title??? The answer is YES!!! Valdosta won MANY while running it and Lowndes runs it now!! This is idiotic! The Wing T was not my offense of choice when I coached but to imply that a team CAN'T win a title who runs it is FOOLISH!!

My $.02

I'm sure I read it earlier but I'll restate it.... " Yes the wingt can win a championship but I don't like it.." Many offensive schemes has come and gone... The "flavor of the month" now is the spread.. I like to watch the spread and the wingt and even the bone from back in the day... The key to any type offence is execution and balance... I witnessed a team that runs one of the many varibles of the wing totally dominate another team for one half.. The opposition adjusted.. They put their corners in man coverage, put nine in the box and brought the the house until they had them in bad down and distance. The wing team was not able to adjust and the game got away. The lesson you can take from this is that if your offense, ( any type offense), does not thave the ability to take what the defense gives them then a good defense will have their way it.

The most overlooked part of any offensive scheme is that coaches tend to try to force fit their offense to the personel. If you have a stable full of good running backs and a good o-line then the wing might just be the ticket. If your have a large group of reciever types with speed and good hands then one of the spread types is probably the way to go.. The key is to match the system to players.. I feel this is the biggest mistake coaches make. Great Coaches find a way to put their players in position to suceed.

I know there are many teams that do well with the wing just as many do well in the spread. There are many styles of both but the key to a running scheme or a passing scheme is the ability to execute the "other" type well enough to keep the defense honest. Any offense that is one dimentional will fail against teams of equal athletic ability.

That being said, the biggest reason I don't like wing offenses is that they inherently spend to much time with the ball behind the line of scrimmage and prone to turnovers. If you have the personel to be sucessful then there are many other offenses that could be more productive.

tpoole12

PS: I'll shut up now................... :thumb:

Maybe the better question here would be....what team can win without a variation of the wing-t?

I'm watching the Beech Columbia game and Beech just scored (to make it 46-33) on a play that very much resembled the buck-sweep or G Block (didnt see replay).

The answer to the question is..... YES, They can, have, and will continue to win championships.

Any offense can win with: the right coaching, talent and defense. Better put: a great defense can win with any offense.

As far as pro football goes, great QBs dominate the nfl. They make incredible plays in the passing game as routine as a dive play. The pro passing game is impossible to stop with any of the top 5-10 QBs. It has nothing to do with the 5yd illegal contact rule either**. It is because those qb's can throw a football thru a 3ft diameter window anywhere inside of 30-40 yds from the line of scrimage with timing and velocity. They have continuity with the same players, coaches and system for years, sometimes a decade. Ex. Brett Farve has played in the West Coast offense for 16 yrs or more, with that arm. These QBs are the best 5-10 in the world. Think about that, the top 5 "3 point shooters in the world", but they're shooting for six every play from anywhere on the field. What play would you call?

**(That rule was put into play in the early 2000's because it made PI and defense holding easier to call and less subjective. Took it away from the refs. ex. NE early 2000's would tackle all backs at the line of scrimage and be in constant contact at other times. Games that brought this change NE vs IND, NE vs STL (SB)).

Excellent post and the main reason you do not see the offense at that level..........since you mentioned Brett Farve; have you heard this one "if a player has to run the wing-t in HS; it will hurt his chances to get a college scholarship"...............bet ya'll cannot guess what old Brett ran in HS; yep, it was the wing-t. Probably will keep him out of the Pro Hall of Fame also (LOL)

Uhh! that Beech wing-T really looked ugly last night................and he did not run that offense last season with probably better players.

Main reason that many coaches do not fool with the offense is that is harder to coach, takes more time to perfect................Some of the lesser teams run it for this simple reason...........it will give you a chance to stay in ball games with lesser players

I know it's not the highest level but out of 5 games in the state playoffs so far. Wing oriented teams have won 3. (Webb, union city, beech.) MUS was in the gun and Alcoa is an I team. I know there are 3 more games to go. Trousdale is a wing team (i think) don't know about the 4a game and maryville is a mostly 2 back offense that will throw, used to run a little veer not sure if they do anymore. but not the spread.

I think the wing will come out ahead of the spread in state championships this year.!!!