Bands playing during game action...

EarlVolFan

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this year at home games that a few of Maryville's opponent's bands have been playing during the time we were running plays on offense -

Oak Ridge's band played through the entire first through third quarters, finally stopping when Maryville had the game in hand..

I didn't notice this again until we played Dobyns-Bennett in the first round of the playoffs. Their band played very loudly ONLY we we had the ball. In fact, they didn't even play during halftime. Their only apparent reason for being there, was to try to disrupt our offense. That didn't exactly workout for them!

Then the same thing occured during the Riverdale game last Friday - any time our offense was near the band's side of the field, their band played as loudly as they could while we were running plays. It wasn't a very effective strategy for them either...

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think this is very poor sportmanship...you don't see bands doing this at the college and pro levels. I hate trying to pass rules to solve every problem, but maybe it's time the TSSAA regulates this before it gets out of hand....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this year at home games that a few of Maryville's opponent's bands have been playing during the time we were running plays on offense -

Oak Ridge's band played through the entire first through third quarters, finally stopping when Maryville had the game in hand..

I didn't notice this again until we played Dobyns-Bennett in the first round of the playoffs. Their band played very loudly ONLY we we had the ball. In fact, they didn't even play during halftime. Their only apparent reason for being there, was to try to disrupt our offense. That didn't exactly workout for them!

Then the same thing occured during the Riverdale game last Friday - any time our offense was near the band's side of the field, their band played as loudly as they could while we were running plays. It wasn't a very effective strategy for them either...

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think this is very poor sportmanship...you don't see bands doing this at the college and pro levels. I hate trying to pass rules to solve every problem, but maybe it's time the TSSAA regulates this before it gets out of hand....

I believe they call this...HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE!!! :roflol:

I love to hear the bands play. It's all part of the atmosphere. Believe it or not, but any disciplined football player/team very rarely lets this upset their sense of concentration. SO...LET THE BANDS PLAY ON!!!!!!!

honestly, it's just you. you're in the state championship. if a tuba player had 3 sacks on your qb i could see it being an issue, otherwise just let it go man. :roflol:

honestly, it's just you. you're in the state championship. if a tuba player had 3 sacks on your qb i could see it being an issue, otherwise just let it go man. :roflol:

I hope it's not just me - for the sake of our young men that we are trying to teach life lessons through athletics. Yes, we've been fortunate to win a lot of games at Maryville and yes, we're gong to be playing for our first 6A championship Saturday...

but IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING - IT'S HOW YOU WIN (or lose, for that matter)

It is not only poor sportmanship but also bush league. It shows "NO" class on the part of the band director and if they won't stop doing it, they should not be allowed to play at all.

Get real folks...these are kids...playing for kids. Are you trying to tell me that what they learn in athletics is any more important than what the kids learn in the band. If it were a problem for the football players i am sure something would have already been done about it. I think it's maybe someone not being able to hear a conversation going on between people who aren't even interested in the game anyway. Just my opinion.

It is not only poor sportmanship but also bush league. It shows "NO" class on the part of the band director and if they won't stop doing it, they should not be allowed to play at all.

Get real folks...these are kids...playing for kids. Are you trying to tell me that what they learn in athletics is any more important than what the kids learn in the band. If it were a problem for the football players i am sure something would have already been done about it. I think it's maybe someone not being able to hear a conversation going on between people who aren't even interested in the game anyway. Just my opinion.

ill say, as a player it IS annoying...None of the teams i played against ever did it until a playoff game last year...and maybe because we wernt used to it, and they were loud, but it made it very difficult for me (the center) to hear the qb (in shotgun).and yes, it would be one thing if they jsut played the whole game including when there team had the ball, but its like they forget how to use the instruments when there driving!

It's football. It's atmosphere. It's fun!

Next thing you will want to do away with is the cheerleaders, then those loud and obnoxious fans that cheer and stuff. Perhaps we could get golf signs... "quiet please". No talking while the ball is in play, only between snaps. Think that would really make it exciting for everyone.

Have you ever watched an inner-city game/band? Some of those play the entire time and it really adds to the atmosphere.

This thread is ridiculous...