scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

I understand the outside booster money this time will be tremendous. I think that is the problem with going outside this area. I have friends that coach in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas and they make $100,000 plus. The leading coach in Ga. makes $250,000 for high school. I made more as a lay coach than most assistants make here.

I just think that if the number I heard was true, any of these guys will have to think about it. I know it would be tough for either but you have to do what is best for your family. I don't think Gray or Colonial Heights will match the booster money. I know there are guys in JC that want a winning program bad enough to pay for it. The problem with either guy would be if he could not win there, there is no going back.

I'm not disputing what you are saying but 3X Jenkins's salary seemed kinda high to me. Isn't Jenkins a principle too? That would put 3X his salary well over 150K right? I don't see it from a basketball school. But, who knows?

Well I think around 40k is a base teachers salary at SH? So that is part of the money. Boosters and such...heck guys that is going ALL to the stadium is it not? I think the money will be good but saying over 100,000....I don't see that as happening. Will. it be high? Yeah I would say it would, but not over 100,000....unless Nicewonger decides to make a donation at SH of course :bored:

If it is not over 100,000 then something is wrong. From one of the largest schools in TN, that is rediculious compared to other states.

The total package including booster money should be 125,000. If not, then they don't care about football like they say they do. That would make sense why they are not getting the applicants that could produce the program at SH.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I would like to say 2 things or maybe 3 or so. #1 - Carter and Jenkins both applied for the SHHS job 3 yrs ago and was passed over. Might be different this time around or neither may not be interested. I don't know, we'll see. #2 - Smith lost all respect from his players. Key skilled players was not showing up for off-season workouts and was threatening to transfer to D-B and THS if Smith returned next season. Did that play into Smith's decision to leave? I don't know yet.

I am personally tickled to death that he is gone. I knew SHHS was in deep trouble after the very first game at South 3 yrs ago. I hope K. Turner makes a better choice on the next football coach. In defense to Turner though, Smith sold himself well with all his big talk, books he has wrote (ha ha) on football and his Class A state championship with the small private school. All his big talk of how much he knew about football did not equal wins (obviously).

from the Johnson City Press this morning, fairly interesting.

Among the people who appear to be strong candidates, along with current assistant coach Paul Overbay, are:

— Stacy Carter, who has built a dynasty at Sullivan South. The Rebels have been one of the state’s best teams since Carter arrived, and he has plenty of playoff success. He’s an extraordinarily good quarterback coach, and he’s hungry to beat D-B — which is the one thing he hasn’t been able to do at South.

— Shawn Witten, who guided Elizabethton to the Class 3A state semifinals in just his third season. Witten has quickly adapted to the head coaching ranks, and certainly has the pedigree to be a prime candidate.

— Jeremy Jenkins, who led Daniel Boone to an upset of No. 1-ranked Tennessee High and into this year’s Class 5A state quarterfinals. Jenkins is just a solid coach of hard-nosed football, and his team whipped the Hilltoppers this year. Plus, he beat D-B with Daniel Boone talent — at J. Fred Johnson Stadium — this season.

— Mike Turner, who led the Hilltoppers to the state quarterfinals back in 1993. The Carson-Newman College assistant was in the running when Smith got the job, and many have said the ‘Toppers made a mistake when they didn’t give him the ball back in 2007.

— Steve Brewer, who led Sevier County to the Class 5A state title in 1999 and a 10-1 record this year. Brewer is 4-14 against D-B, but at least his teams have found a way to get the job done occasionally against the Tribe.

— Graham Clark, who has tortured the Hilltoppers since taking over as head coach at D-B in 1993. From the if-you-can’t-beat-them-join-them school of thought, what better way would there be to end the 16-game losing streak to the Tribe?

— Caine Ballard, who will be coaching Greeneville in the Class 4A state title game Saturday. It’s his first season as head coach, but it’s hard to argue with the results.

— Greg Stubbs, who has built a program of excellence at Tennessee High after getting overlooked when the Hilltoppers hired John Bowles. The Vikings have four 10-win seasons in this decade under Stubbs, who is 1-4 against D-B but did beat the Indians this season.

All in all, it appears the Hilltoppers should be able to land a quality coach.

“I would love to know we would have that quality of applicants, and I think we will,” said Turner. “I would love to talk to people of high caliber, and I’m sure some out-of-state people will ask about it.”

Because things didn’t work out so well with the out-of-the-area coach in Smith, look for Science Hill to choose a coach that is familiar to the Hilltoppers’ fans.

That sounds more like a wish list to me. Wasn't there talk a few years ago of them wanting to hire GQ or Gary Rankin? :roflol: The coaches on that list don't compare to GQ or Rankin, but they're basically listing every coach in the area who had a winning record this season. In my opinion the probable candidates out of that list would be Carter and Jenkins only because they work for a county school. I would imagine the city school could provide them with a larger salary. I think Carter has the most incentive to go, but you never know.

The thing about Science Hill is that it appears that they have little to no support there. The crowds are always dismal. In a perfect world they hire someone who could build a program from the ground up, a la Woods at Mo'West.

former blazer,

Why would the other local coaches be more apt to take the job than Jenkins? what would keep him at Boone that wouldn't keep Carter at South? Stubbs at Bristol?

Jenkins is not a candidate simply because of his health. Science Hill will want someone to be there for at least 10 years. That will eliminate Turner. They will want the most healthy, youngest, most progressive mind available. They will not want to have to go through this process again anytime soon. Of all the people mentioned so far Stacy Carter is by far the top candidate. Science Hill doesn't want to run an ancient, square jawed, low scoring offense. They want an offense to be high profile in nature and utilize many athletes and be exciting to watch in anticipation of packing the new stadium. Truly their only choice by looking locally is Stacy Carter. C'mon people be realistic here. They hired Smith because he talked a good talk. 5 wide, written books, state champion...yada...yada. They bought the Disney World routine. So that is what they want. They want Hollywood. Stacy Carter will come in and go straight to boot camp. First get rid of the players, parents, and coaches that aren't willing to push the wagon. Next turn the players into believers and produce the Continental Congress. Those forefathers will dictate the mentality and then the replication begins. The process will go faster at Science Hill because I feel if you took a parent/student poll of who they want you would see they would wholeheartedly agree on Stacy Carter. That in and on itself eliminates the first year tug of war with the parents and athletes because they will jump on board like so many survivors of the Titanic. His only issue the first year will be remnant coaches at the Hill who won't buy into Stacy's militaristic views. I mean I don't want him to leave South but if I were the AD at the Hill there would be no question in my mind. And I truly don't think there is a question in his mind. The article in the paper is just smoke and mirrors. They will interview and carry on just to go through the process and make like they had a hard time coming to a conclusion to make sure not to step on any toes. But the reality is...the decision has been made. We are just waiting for time to pass. The more important question is who will replace Carter at South?

former blazer,

Why would the other local coaches be more apt to take the job than Jenkins? what would keep him at Boone that wouldn't keep Carter at South? Stubbs at Bristol?

Jenkins is not a candidate simply because of his health. Science Hill will want someone to be there for at least 10 years. That will eliminate Turner. They will want the most healthy, youngest, most progressive mind available. They will not want to have to go through this process again anytime soon. Of all the people mentioned so far Stacy Carter is by far the top candidate. Science Hill doesn't want to run an ancient, square jawed, low scoring offense. They want an offense to be high profile in nature and utilize many athletes and be exciting to watch in anticipation of packing the new stadium. Truly their only choice by looking locally is Stacy Carter. C'mon people be realistic here. They hired Smith because he talked a good talk. 5 wide, written books, state champion...yada...yada. They bought the Disney World routine. So that is what they want. They want Hollywood. Stacy Carter will come in and go straight to boot camp. First get rid of the players, parents, and coaches that aren't willing to push the wagon. Next turn the players into believers and produce the Continental Congress. Those forefathers will dictate the mentality and then the replication begins. The process will go faster at Science Hill because I feel if you took a parent/student poll of who they want you would see they would wholeheartedly agree on Stacy Carter. That in and on itself eliminates the first year tug of war with the parents and athletes because they will jump on board like so many survivors of the Titanic. His only issue the first year will be remnant coaches at the Hill who won't buy into Stacy's militaristic views. I mean I don't want him to leave South but if I were the AD at the Hill there would be no question in my mind. And I truly don't think there is a question in his mind. The article in the paper is just smoke and mirrors. They will interview and carry on just to go through the process and make like they had a hard time coming to a conclusion to make sure not to step on any toes. But the reality is...the decision has been made. We are just waiting for time to pass. The more important question is who will replace Carter at South?

More importantly, would he want the position this time around? With questions (rumors mind you) of South perhaps dropping down to 4A...that would be a strong local program that could absolutely dominate alongside Greeneville. I can see the draw, he made the impact at South...but will he want to go at the end of the day?

At SH...well they have the athletes and talent, it seems in recent years...it is either the kids parents or I don't know what...but really at the end of the day they really shouldn't have an excuse to not be dominating and winning every single year like DB has been the past few years.

former blazer,

More importantly, would he want the position this time around? With questions (rumors mind you) of South perhaps dropping down to 4A...that would be a strong local program that could absolutely dominate alongside Greeneville. I can see the draw, he made the impact at South...but will he want to go at the end of the day?

At SH...well they have the athletes and talent, it seems in recent years...it is either the kids parents or I don't know what...but really at the end of the day they really shouldn't have an excuse to not be dominating and winning every single year like DB has been the past few years.

Stacy won't trade down. He will trade up.

Well can't deny that comp. I still wonder if he would trade at all. Honestly, I think it would really send a message that would hurt South...but I'm sure he will tell everyone why and I can honestly understand why he would. It would have to also be tough, to leave a "dream job" from your roots to move on but heck, we all have to I guess buddy.

Will the school be able to let the new coach bring in as many of HIS assistants as he wants?

Also how are the facilities like the weight room, coaches offices and film rooms? Those things do matter to some coaches. Especially if you are trying to lure them away from schools who do provide like DB.

Does the school allow for players being able to 'lift' for their PE period during the day?

Honey D Man...if you're going to cut and paste things of TriCitiesSports.com, you at least need to give us credit...

Science Hill head football coach Scott Smith has resigned his position at the school that he had held for three years since being hired away from Independence High School.

"Scott indicated that sometimes one person is just not the right fit for a certain job and this was one of those cases," said Science Hill Athletic Director Keith Turner.

Smith went 14-17 in his three years at Johnson City and made the playoffs following the 2008 season. The 'Toppers went 4-6 this past year and missed out on the post-season.

Rumors regarding Smith's future had been swirling for some time, but Turner said a health situation regarding the Director of Schools kept the situation from being resolved sooner.

"We hate that it drug on, but those were the circumstances," said Turner.

Turner stressed the decision was Smith's and that the evaluation of the program was still underway when Smith announced his decision to leave.

"We had both agreed that some things needed to be done in certain areas and some things needed to get corrected," acknowledged Turner, "but we were still in the evaluation process."

Turner said the job will be posted for at least 10 days before any candidates are indentified for the position.

"I think we'll have some good inside candidates and some local candidates that we'd like to talk to," said Turner. "And we'll look down the road as well if the situation warrants."

Turner said Smith's teaching position is still his through the end of the school year.

"Coach Smith could still stay through the rest of the school year in his classroom," added Turner.

Although Smith didn't specifically outline his future plans, Turner expects Smith to look back towards the middle of the state for another head job.

"I think he'll probably look to go back down to that area," said Turner. "He's had a lot of success down there, so I would look for him maybe try to get back there."

Well can't deny that comp. I still wonder if he would trade at all. Honestly, I think it would really send a message that would hurt South...but I'm sure he will tell everyone why and I can honestly understand why he would. It would have to also be tough, to leave a "dream job" from your roots to move on but heck, we all have to I guess buddy.

FB...be clear here...I don't know the mind of Stacy Carter. This is all speculation. I mean we can make some educated guesses and come really close but first he has to decide if he will go or not. I feel that decision has been made but I very well could be wrong.

FB...be clear here...I don't know the mind of Stacy Carter. This is all speculation. I mean we can make some educated guesses and come really close but first he has to decide if he will go or not. I feel that decision has been made but I very well could be wrong.

Oh yeah buddy don't get me wrong, I'm speculating like you just trying to get a feel for things. Heck from some of the old friends who came by today talking about the paper, they'd find it hard to believe that Coach Jenkins would leave if offered but they think he could do great things over there with the talent.

Personally I like things how they are. I'd like to see Boone beat South under SC...simply because I got the respect for him and it would be a great win.

And no way am I calling you wrong friend, I'm taking what you say to heart. Don't you owe me a drink btw? :D