scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the football powerhouses, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Alabama the coaches are not given tenure if they are hired as a coach so they can be replaced. They are given 1 year contracts but they are also paid a lot more. Many of the larger schools give the head coaches the opportunity to bring in as many as 6 assistants that are football only. The problem around here is that the head coaches have no say in who they can hire and fire as their assistants. I will say that Smith and whoever is hired will not get a fair deal in that manner. They have to take what they are given and work with it. I say for sure that anyone who is considered should not be an assistant coach.

Side note: saw where the head coach that was at Hoover, Alabama went to Georgia and made $150,000 and made the state championship the first year.

Formerblazer, there is no reason you can not hire quality coaches who are also quality teachers.

If I stated as such, I apologize for that is not what I meant, what I meant to say was these coaches aren't getting paid 40k a year to coach football. They are getting paid 40k to teach and a small bit to coach. you have to get rid of a teacher there right now for that money to open up to bringing someone along with you. With Smith, he is leaving so that position is open. No problem there. You bring an assistant, no big deal on a teacher there losing there coaching job, but you also have the teaching job to consider. word has always been that teachers in the city schools (kingsport, jc, bristol) stick in their jobs for a very long time. Unless teachers retire or teachers aren't asked to come back, there won't be positions for assistants to be brought along.

in the football powerhouses, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Alabama the coaches are not given tenure if they are hired as a coach so they can be replaced. They are given 1 year contracts but they are also paid a lot more. Many of the larger schools give the head coaches the opportunity to bring in as many as 6 assistants that are football only. The problem around here is that the head coaches have no say in who they can hire and fire as their assistants. I will say that Smith and whoever is hired will not get a fair deal in that manner. They have to take what they are given and work with it. I say for sure that anyone who is considered should not be an assistant coach.

Side note: saw where the head coach that was at Hoover, Alabama went to Georgia and made $150,000 and made the state championship the first year.

A public school, in the upper east tn area, who is spending lets say half a million dollars a year ONLY on coaching football is a no go in this area. that would include the football coach and assistants. Unless there is a booster program in the area that can raise half a million a year...that's hard. Most, if not all, of the coaches in the area are teachers and a large part of their salary is from teaching, not coaching.

Interesting about the Hoover coach. I know if I was a kid and he came to my school my confidence would be through the roof.

formerblazer, I hate to tell you but a $40,000 salary may be the main reason coaches do NOT want to stay in east Tn. Average pay scale for HC's in the top areas of middle Tn pay at least $60,000 to start out with. Their top co-ordinators can look for a 'little stipend' anywhere from $5,000-8,000 as a suppliment for their teaching salary also.

While we do not like to admit it we have to face the facts that football in HS is now like what it is for colleges. A pure money making buisness. You either need to commit to that or be prepared to either lose or quit playing the game. dry.gif

Scott Smith was a cocky and arrogant man that talked ALOT of CRAP that never backed up on or off the field. Glad he is gone for many reasons.

Mike Turner is a really good coach that is proven. The only concern there is he is getting some age on him. I am told he is heading to Happy Valley. We'll see...?

Science Hill is in bad need of discipline! Sounds like Carter might be the man for the job. We'll see...?

formerblazer, I hate to tell you but a $40,000 salary may be the main reason coaches do NOT want to stay in east Tn. Average pay scale for HC's in the top areas of middle Tn pay at least $60,000 to start out with. Their top co-ordinators can look for a 'little stipend' anywhere from $5,000-8,000 as a suppliment for their teaching salary also.

While we do not like to admit it we have to face the facts that football in HS is now like what it is for colleges. A pure money making buisness. You either need to commit to that or be prepared to either lose or quit playing the game. dry.gif

And SH is in East TN. Let's say the difference to city/county is 6k. I would say he would get a pay raise (simply on years experience and moving to the city). But where does all this money come from suddenly to make a football program out of, suddenly, what people see to be as a money making business. SH hasn't done it before and suddenly they do it now? Some people are stating that its time, they get whatever they want, yadda yadda yadda....if that was the case then why haven't they done this before? If you had a good coach and the coaching staff wasn't good...yet you had money, why not hire assistants that could make the program better? Where does all this money suddenly come from in a time when EVERYONE is worrying about the economy. I only say this because...it seems like some people are getting info that just doesn't add up to me.

As far as it being a money making business...I think it is time you go back and take a look at the books, especially for SH. I'd say that Davy Crockett, one of the "weaker" programs in the area, had more people at the games than SH. The Boone/SH was a joke, but go to a South, Boone, DB, or TN High game and they are always packed. Its not like putting a well known coach will suddenly make 8k people go to SH games. Not until they start a winning tradition at least.

FormerB, do you have any worries that Coach Jenkins could be a targeted coach for the Hilltoppers. After all...he is obviously a great motivator that has done a fabulous job of elevating Boone and putting them on the map this year. I feel that Science Hill needs a motivator more so than a disciplinary. They need that spark of PRIDE back. I’m afraid that with the mentality of many athletes and MOST parents of athletes… a disciplinarian will be on the field BY HIMSELF at The Hill. This program needs encouragement and just a taste of success in order to turn around. We all know the athletes are there… and with the addition of a brand new stadium and the opportunity to coach at the 6A level could be very attractive to an up and coming coach like Jenkins.

FormerB, do you have any worries that Coach Jenkins could be a targeted coach for the Hilltoppers. After all...he is obviously a great motivator that has done a fabulous job of elevating Boone and putting them on the map this year. I feel that Science Hill needs a motivator more so than a disciplinary. They need that spark of PRIDE back. I’m afraid that with the mentality of many athletes and MOST parents of athletes… a disciplinarian will be on the field BY HIMSELF at The Hill. This program needs encouragement and just a taste of success in order to turn around. We all know the athletes are there… and with the addition of a brand new stadium and the opportunity to coach at the 6A level could be very attractive to an up and coming coach like Jenkins.

I for one hope no one from the area gets it.We need to look out of the box maybe someone from the chatt area or Ga.

I think Coach Jenkins blood runs red and gold, at least when I've known him growing up and talked to him. I, personally, would have a hard time imagining him elsewhere because he simply loves Boone that much. Perhaps one of the two smartest football minds I know. The other is his dad.

Could he do it? Without a doubt, he can do a lot and is really just at the beginning of a long career. Since he has been at Boone, the winning percentage has to be better than Coach Greene, and it seems based on this year that things are slowly but surely getting better.

As far as diciplinarian...well everyone knows what his position is outside of football at Boone, so I don't think would be too big of a problem.

I for one hope no one from the area gets it.We need to look out of the box maybe someone from the chatt area or Ga.

You bring up a good point, but from the Smith ordeal, you might have more people in the area wanting a local person I believe.

I think Coach Jenkins blood runs red and gold, at least when I've known him growing up and talked to him. I, personally, would have a hard time imagining him elsewhere because he simply loves Boone that much. Perhaps one of the two smartest football minds I know. The other is his dad.

Could he do it? Without a doubt, he can do a lot and is really just at the beginning of a long career. Since he has been at Boone, the winning percentage has to be better than Coach Greene, and it seems based on this year that things are slowly but surely getting better.

As far as diciplinarian...well everyone knows what his position is outside of football at Boone, so I don't think would be too big of a problem.

I'm not saying Jenkins couldn't go to the Hill and make them successful, but "one of the two smartest football minds"?? Are you serious? I hate to ruffle some Blazer feathers but I just don't get that statement at all. I've seen several coaching mistakes by Jenkins in the past. He's a good motivator and a decent coach. He's been very fortunate with the start of a good run of athletes at Boone. The Gray area has really exploded and he's been the benefactor. He's very good for Boone. Nothing more, nothing less. I do think Boone will be in the running for a conference title next year.