scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

I heard from one of the assistant coaches at Science Hill the other day. He didn't give me "the inside story" or anything, but he did give me some stuff to think about in light of my previous comments in this thread. Sorry, but I don't have any news to report on who the next coach will be.

First, I still think that Scott Smith has been taking a lot of flack unfairly from both parents and the media. The guy won championships before he came to Science Hill and that's got to count for something. I'm very glad to read that he's landed on his feet. I hope he does well there. He really liked being at Science Hill and still has nothing but good things to say about the administrators, assistants, and players he's leaving behind. I thought that was classy.

Second, without really thinking about it, I threw the Science Hill assistants and AD under the bus on this forum on the basis of hearsay and rumors. The truth is that I wasn't there and I don't know what went down, so I jumped to the conclusion that if a respected head coachlike Scott Smith couldn't get it done, it must be the assistant coaches' and admin's fault. What I've learned is that they have some dedicated assistant coaches there who know their stuff, want the best for these young men, and are committed to turning the ship around. It turns out that both Principal John Boyd and the AD, Keith Turner are good people who know what they're doing and are very supportive of football. If Scott Smith himself doesn't hold ill will towards any of these men, it would be foolish for me or anyone else to.

So, to anyone who read my earlier posts in this thread, including coaches, administrators, teachers, media, parents, or players connected to the Science Hill program, I want to just man up and publicly say that I went off half cocked and was talking out of my butt. To the coaches and administrators, especially Keith Turner, if you're reading this thread, I want to extend a very heartfelt apology and retraction for my previous stupid comments.

You've got the makings of a good football program there as well as some real talent coming down the pipeline. If it can just come together under the new head coach, whoever it may be, the Hilltoppers will be surprising some people.

Good luck.

And no, I don't know if Stacy Carter is actually going to be taking over there. If he has, I think it's probably the worst kept secret on CoachT. Just for fun, I might start a rumor that they're in talks with Mike Leach, though... :o

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard from one of the assistant coaches at Science Hill the other day. He didn't give me "the inside story" or anything, but he did give me some stuff to think about in light of my previous comments in this thread. Sorry, but I don't have any news to report on who the next coach will be.

First, I still think that Scott Smith has been taking a lot of flack unfairly from both parents and the media. The guy won championships before he came to Science Hill and that's got to count for something. I'm very glad to read that he's landed on his feet. I hope he does well there. He really liked being at Science Hill and still has nothing but good things to say about the administrators, assistants, and players he's leaving behind. I thought that was classy.

Second, without really thinking about it, I threw the Science Hill assistants and AD under the bus on this forum on the basis of hearsay and rumors. The truth is that I wasn't there and I don't know what went down, so I jumped to the conclusion that if a respected head coachlike Scott Smith couldn't get it done, it must be the assistant coaches' and admin's fault. What I've learned is that they have some dedicated assistant coaches there who know their stuff, want the best for these young men, and are committed to turning the ship around. It turns out that both Principal John Boyd and the AD, Keith Turner are good people who know what they're doing and are very supportive of football. If Scott Smith himself doesn't hold ill will towards any of these men, it would be foolish for me or anyone else to.

So, to anyone who read my earlier posts in this thread, including coaches, administrators, teachers, media, parents, or players connected to the Science Hill program, I want to just man up and publicly say that I went off half cocked and was talking out of my butt. To the coaches and administrators, especially Keith Turner, if you're reading this thread, I want to extend a very heartfelt apology and retraction for my previous stupid comments.

You've got the makings of a good football program there as well as some real talent coming down the pipeline. If it can just come together under the new head coach, whoever it may be, the Hilltoppers will be surprising some people.

Good luck.

And no, I don't know if Stacy Carter is actually going to be taking over there. If he has, I think it's probably the worst kept secret on CoachT. Just for fun, I might start a rumor that they're in talks with Mike Leach, though... :o

I mean...are you applying for a job at Science Hill now. Good grief. I watched SS for 3 years. I attended his practices trying to spy a bit of info. I paid attention to his game decisions. I'm sorry, but he was lost. Book or no book...gold ball or no gold ball. I'm sure he was a fine individual but his antics on coachT were appalling. And if you ever saw him get into an argument with another head coach at a scrimmage you would have seen how foolish he looked. I say good riddance. I'm glad my son didn't waste 3 years under him. And Keith Turner...how disrespectful can one man be in regard to the termination of the head coach of your football team that you bit the bullet on. Again, He may very well be good people but he sure made himself look stupid with his newspaper article. As far as the assistants...well I will give you that. But even though...they can't seem to control the attitude and mentality over there. And yeah, it's that downtown attitude. It works with basketball...in fact the more street proper you are the badder your game on the court. Don't work that way with football. Jive talkin' don't run no hundred yard dash breakin' tackles all the way down the field. That's why Jack says JC will never succeed in football. Because they can't get rid of the street atitude. I would say the assistants reinforce it but I would be just speculating. Anyway, I hope you get that job.

From my understanding, as far as Boone and Crockett go with moving to 6A, I believe if they are boarder line they have a choice if they are not quite successful. Central and Volunteer were originally pegged to be 4A this past year I believe, but Central chose to move up to 5A I am pretty dang sure, and really they could have been more successful as a 4A team. Washington County has a huge amount of students and only 4 high schools for people to choose from (SH, University High, Boone, Crockett) and when compared to Sullivan (East, North, South, Central, DB, TN High) it makes sense that you have those teams moving down because of annexing or such and Boone and Crockett going up. In the next 10 years, the county area of Washington will have to either build one huge high school (3000 kids at a Washington County High School, imagine the football team then)or build one more school and divide the three, which would have them all moving down. Talent wise, Crockett is looking to be in trouble the next couple of years, with players opting to go to Boone and that end of the county being more baseball and basketball driven. Boone looks like they COULD have a few successful years much like South had (on paper and we know what happens to paper) but they have to produce results. We all know for sure that this year we all are in the same situation but with all the complaints about the playoff system, who knows how it is all going to happen the year after next. Personally, I do not want Boone to be playing and travelling against some of the 6A teams in Northeast TN. In 5 years if the program is running healthy and smooth, I think we could be competitive, but right now that would be hard. Crockett in 6A is just simply a bad idea for the program and the kids.

South moving down is something that has been thrown around on here and makes sense if Kingsport takes over more of the area. I don't know what is in store for South. Personally, I think they will be very competitive this next year. We haven't found an answer for them and with the kids they have, I am pretty sure they are on here all the time reading what is said and working hard. It's in their system so I expect the best from South next year. TN High...I don't know yet. Most viking fans have been quiet and moved on to basketball, which is fine, so I don't think we will hear too much from them until spring or in July. DB will be a threat, like they always are this next year. SH has a huge question mark on their team this next year, with promises of a coach to bring it all together and players who are awesome but haven't produced results. Still, I think SH will win at least 7 games next year whoever is in there.

As far as schedules go, I think the TN High vs South game should be a pick up game regularly even if South moves down. Good rivalry there, lots of fans showing up, so for the school, fans, and players it is important. If South goes down I do not think they should be playing DB anymore. Plain and simple, South has not found that answer and the look, on paper, doesn't look good the next few years. The Gate City game is good for South tho, and I think they enjoyed it. I am hoping, even if things change, that Boone stays with SH for a game and DB for games. I think that press and importance really made a difference for Boone being competitive this past year. Who knows what will happen.

As far as who is coaching at SH.....I think we all are desperate to know, and soon. I'm pretty sure we all will find out before January goes by, so at least that is something.

I read an article in the paper over the summer concerning Central. They were placed in 5A and actually wanted to remain in 4A. They didn't think it was appropriate to have to face schools the size of Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett. This was concerning football; I have no idea if they felt the same way about other sports. So if Boone and Crockett are placed in 6A, I highly doubt they will be able to play down in 5A. I heard that if you weren't competitve in that classification you could move down, however, I believe that applied to previous years instead of 2009-12. I recall David Crockett having 5A numbers during 2005-09. If they had to play in 5A during that time, the conference opponents would have been teams such as DB, Bearden, and Sevier County. If the also applies to the current classification plans then Central should've easily been able to illustrate that they can't compete in 5A because in previous years they couldn't compete in 4A. They had 3 wins and 27 losses from 2006 to 2008 in 4A. Crockett was the same way although I believe they did ok for themselves in 2009. The 6A playoffs would be a monster for sure. I'm not sure how close Boone and Crockett are to being in the top sixth most populous schools. I remember that Central and South were very close to being in 4A and they may end up in 4A. I believe South will benefit greatly from it because they have competed well over the years. Central will be able to replace teams like DB, Tennessee High, Science Hill, with district opponents like Happy Valley, North, and Johnson Co. Some of those games may be a little easier, but I would still place Central on the losing end of those games.

As far as Tennessee High is concerned, I expect that there will obviously be a dropoff from the '09 team. I think they have some good players that will make great contributions this year. Due to their schedule being heavier in the second half of the regular season, they may even start out with a 3-0 or 4-0 record. This may help them gain some confidence and work off some of the rust before facing the more challenging teams. However, I believe that they will be a team that is better than the record will indicate. For example, this year they may finish 6-4 when in previous years with the same team, but a different schedule they could finish 7-3 or 8-2. I predict that Boone and DB will obviously improve and probably challenge for the top spot. I think Greeneville will be good next year as well and will be a big test for the Vikings. South and Science Hill are the question marks, but the Vikes better bring their A game against them regardless.

I'm not sure if the South-THS game will happen if South drops down to 4A. A year ago Coach Stubbs was on the radio and he was discussing the 2009 schedule. East, Virginia High, and Elizabethton were the top 3 that he wanted for non-conference matchups. He was unable to get Betsy so they worked something out with Greeneville. The East and Virginia High games were top priority obviously because they are the Vikings' rivals. Stubbs said that the Elizabethton game usually brings in more money than any other game of the season, even the Science Hill, DB games. I'm not sure if that was true the last couple of years when Betsy was struggling and South was dominating, but if Witten continues making improvements and a slot opens up on the schedules I imagine that Tennessee High and Betsy will try to schedule eachother.

From my understanding, as far as Boone and Crockett go with moving to 6A, I believe if they are boarder line they have a choice if they are not quite successful. Central and Volunteer were originally pegged to be 4A this past year I believe, but Central chose to move up to 5A I am pretty dang sure, and really they could have been more successful as a 4A team. Washington County has a huge amount of students and only 4 high schools for people to choose from (SH, University High, Boone, Crockett) and when compared to Sullivan (East, North, South, Central, DB, TN High) it makes sense that you have those teams moving down because of annexing or such and Boone and Crockett going up. In the next 10 years, the county area of Washington will have to either build one huge high school (3000 kids at a Washington County High School, imagine the football team then)or build one more school and divide the three, which would have them all moving down. Talent wise, Crockett is looking to be in trouble the next couple of years, with players opting to go to Boone and that end of the county being more baseball and basketball driven. Boone looks like they COULD have a few successful years much like South had (on paper and we know what happens to paper) but they have to produce results. We all know for sure that this year we all are in the same situation but with all the complaints about the playoff system, who knows how it is all going to happen the year after next. Personally, I do not want Boone to be playing and travelling against some of the 6A teams in Northeast TN. In 5 years if the program is running healthy and smooth, I think we could be competitive, but right now that would be hard. Crockett in 6A is just simply a bad idea for the program and the kids.

South moving down is something that has been thrown around on here and makes sense if Kingsport takes over more of the area. I don't know what is in store for South. Personally, I think they will be very competitive this next year. We haven't found an answer for them and with the kids they have, I am pretty sure they are on here all the time reading what is said and working hard. It's in their system so I expect the best from South next year. TN High...I don't know yet. Most viking fans have been quiet and moved on to basketball, which is fine, so I don't think we will hear too much from them until spring or in July. DB will be a threat, like they always are this next year. SH has a huge question mark on their team this next year, with promises of a coach to bring it all together and players who are awesome but haven't produced results. Still, I think SH will win at least 7 games next year whoever is in there.

As far as schedules go, I think the TN High vs South game should be a pick up game regularly even if South moves down. Good rivalry there, lots of fans showing up, so for the school, fans, and players it is important. If South goes down I do not think they should be playing DB anymore. Plain and simple, South has not found that answer and the look, on paper, doesn't look good the next few years. The Gate City game is good for South tho, and I think they enjoyed it. I am hoping, even if things change, that Boone stays with SH for a game and DB for games. I think that press and importance really made a difference for Boone being competitive this past year. Who knows what will happen.

As far as who is coaching at SH.....I think we all are desperate to know, and soon. I'm pretty sure we all will find out before January goes by, so at least that is something.

I read an article in the paper over the summer concerning Central. They were placed in 5A and actually wanted to remain in 4A. They didn't think it was appropriate to have to face schools the size of Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett. This was concerning football; I have no idea if they felt the same way about other sports. So if Boone and Crockett are placed in 6A, I highly doubt they will be able to play down in 5A. I heard that if you weren't competitve in that classification you could move down, however, I believe that applied to previous years instead of 2009-12. I recall David Crockett having 5A numbers during 2005-09. If they had to play in 5A during that time, the conference opponents would have been teams such as DB, Bearden, and Sevier County. If the also applies to the current classification plans then Central should've easily been able to illustrate that they can't compete in 5A because in previous years they couldn't compete in 4A. They had 3 wins and 27 losses from 2006 to 2008 in 4A. Crockett was the same way although I believe they did ok for themselves in 2009. The 6A playoffs would be a monster for sure. I'm not sure how close Boone and Crockett are to being in the top sixth most populous schools. I remember that Central and South were very close to being in 4A and they may end up in 4A. I believe South will benefit greatly from it because they have competed well over the years. Central will be able to replace teams like DB, Tennessee High, Science Hill, with district opponents like Happy Valley, North, and Johnson Co. Some of those games may be a little easier, but I would still place Central on the losing end of those games.

As far as Tennessee High is concerned, I expect that there will obviously be a dropoff from the '09 team. I think they have some good players that will make great contributions this year. Due to their schedule being heavier in the second half of the regular season, they may even start out with a 3-0 or 4-0 record. This may help them gain some confidence and work off some of the rust before facing the more challenging teams. However, I believe that they will be a team that is better than the record will indicate. For example, this year they may finish 6-4 when in previous years with the same team, but a different schedule they could finish 7-3 or 8-2. I predict that Boone and DB will obviously improve and probably challenge for the top spot. I think Greeneville will be good next year as well and will be a big test for the Vikings. South and Science Hill are the question marks, but the Vikes better bring their A game against them regardless.

I'm not sure if the South-THS game will happen if South drops down to 4A. A year ago Coach Stubbs was on the radio and he was discussing the 2009 schedule. East, Virginia High, and Elizabethton were the top 3 that he wanted for non-conference matchups. He was unable to get Betsy so they worked something out with Greeneville. The East and Virginia High games were top priority obviously because they are the Vikings' rivals. Stubbs said that the Elizabethton game usually brings in more money than any other game of the season, even the Science Hill, DB games. I'm not sure if that was true the last couple of years when Betsy was struggling and South was dominating, but if Witten continues making improvements and a slot opens up on the schedules I imagine that Tennessee High and Betsy will try to schedule eachother.

Have to say that for the Betsy folks, they always bring a crowd. So now it seems schedules will be made on A. Getting a win B. Bringing in money. Boone has North, Seymour, and Cherokee as the pickup games. I like the Cherokee game cause they are competitive and bring something to make your team better, but I'd love to get rid of Seymour and North. Give me Betsy, Greeneville, or I don't know who else. Most of the big rivalries are back in the conference we are in now with TN High, South, and Crockett so picking up games must be a hard choice.

I've heard 3 names for the posiiton. Carter, Turner, and Overbay. Also that there is growing interest to hire from within (Overbay). Who is the frontrunner??

Overbay was what the article was talking about in the JC press a few weeks ago. If I were him, I'd look at a new job from the comments that the JC paper and the AD decided to say about him.

From what everyone has said (and in the past 3 days what I've heard) it looks to be like Carter may very well be leaving South to go to SH.

I was told today the only thing holding Stacy up right now is he's wanting to take coach Haney with him...he already has Ralph Nelson coming with him.. approved.If Haney don't get to go..he will take over at South.That was the news going around the Eastman today. I wish they would go ahead and let it out...I talked with some of the football team and they have about had it with hearing all this bs!!! I think this whole deal has been handled wrong. :thumb:

I was told today the only thing holding Stacy up right now is he's wanting to take coach Haney with him...he already has Ralph Nelson coming with him.. approved.If Haney don't get to go..he will take over at South.That was the news going around the Eastman today. I wish they would go ahead and let it out...I talked with some of the football team and they have about had it with hearing all this bs!!! I think this whole deal has been handled wrong. :thumb:

The " news that goes around at the Eastman" is usually about 10% correct.

Has anyone heard directly from, the Sciense Hill AD, or any of the coaches being interviewed ? If so please step forward and state your real name and tell us what you know. :thumb:

The " news that goes around at the Eastman" is usually about 10% correct.

Has anyone heard directly from, the Sciense Hill AD, or any of the coaches being interviewed ? If so please step forward and state your real name and tell us what you know. :thumb:

Waco, Stacy and Ralph is a done deal..mark it down.As for Haney he may have to stay at South if they can't find a teaching position for him.If he stay's at South he takes over the football program. :lol: