WHO will be the next Coach at INDY ? ? ?

sarahpalin

Actually there are cases where coaches just coach and they do not teach. For example, at Indy Kevin Dyson is a coach, a coordinator if I am not mistaken, and doesnt teach one single class. He is also the AD. Other coaches are administrators. For example I am pretty sure Gary Rankin is an assistant principal at Alcoa. As far as Scharsh having a full load giving up his planning period to teach a full load and handle weightlifting at the same time this was to his benefit as well. I dont think he did is just for the kids. The admin already chose the right fit but the right fit said no thanks. Whoever gets this job is at best the second choice.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dyson does teach. Williamson County does not hire anyone to just be "AD". They will hire coaches who are not teachers but they are usually asst coaches only for the major teams. Many football teams especially have a few coaches who are not county teachers. But the AD has to be onsite. Dyson teaches weights at IHS. In the days of Henrie, the AD had a plan period (as all teachers) and one other period for the duties associated with being AD. Probably the same for Dyson. Also, Eubanks wasn't a teacher at the high school when Campbell came on board (he was at the middle school) but Campbell wanted his FB coach to be in the building and they found a way to make it happen.

Dyson does teach. Williamson County does not hire anyone to just be "AD". They will hire coaches who are not teachers but they are usually asst coaches only for the major teams. Many football teams especially have a few coaches who are not county teachers. But the AD has to be onsite. Dyson teaches weights at IHS. In the days of Henrie, the AD had a plan period (as all teachers) and one other period for the duties associated with being AD. Probably the same for Dyson. Also, Eubanks wasn't a teacher at the high school when Campbell came on board (he was at the middle school) but Campbell wanted his FB coach to be in the building and they found a way to make it happen.

My bad. My source was incorrect. I just looked it up and it does state that Dyson now teaches wellness. Do you know if that was always the case or if it happened recently? Anyway, it does still happen. It happens more in the privates than publics though.

Fieldwalker ......... of course it was to his benefit his players which in turn benefits him. I think u have been sorely misinformed about Scharsch. He is about the kids. Ask any former player. What coach does not try ro help the kids get better? ......... and i would venture to say MOST coaches would NOT give up planning time during the season. Most of the head coaches I know get half of the day off during the season to allow for practice planning. He sacrificed FOR THE KIDS. There is no denying that.

Palin Smitty was not going to be hired back as a teacher. He didn't get the job done in the classroom, therefore he didn't leave on his own accord.

Funandgames Eubanks was brought over by Webb when he took over the head job I thought. Doesn't really matter but I am pretty sure she brought him over.

Most coaches have to teach and I believe the best teachers are coaches, but I am telling you that teaching in Williamson County is very different from other places, especially when you are not the administrators number 1 guy. Not saying WCS is better at all but very different. Lots and lots of loopholes that teachers have to go through that others systems don't have. Yearly evals, no athleetic classes, county tests that are used to judge a teachers performance, etc.etc.

Palin Smitty was not going to be hired back as a teacher. He didn't get the job done in the classroom, therefore he didn't leave on his own accord.

Funandgames Eubanks was brought over by Webb when he took over the head job I thought. Doesn't really matter but I am pretty sure she brought him over.

Most coaches have to teach and I believe the best teachers are coaches, but I am telling you that teaching in Williamson County is very different from other places, especially when you are not the administrators number 1 guy. Not saying WCS is better at all but very different. Lots and lots of loopholes that teachers have to go through that others systems don't have. Yearly evals, no athleetic classes, county tests that are used to judge a teachers performance, etc.etc.

You are exactly right about the hoops the teachers/coaches have to jump through in WCS. WCS has lost a few GOOD coaches to Rutherford County due to the emphasis they seem to put on athletics.

Not that it really matters, but Webb hired Eubanks to be head coach when Smith left but not to teach. Eubanks had been an asst coach under Smith. He was head coach one year out of building. One of the first things Campbell did when he started was to bring Eubanks into the building.

This is Scott Smith. I normally never reply to things said on here anymore but i wanted to try an put the record straight on my time at independence for franklymydear. I taught at independence for almost 3 years, tenure was offered and my teaching was not a problem at all. I taught us history and government and enjoyed my time as an eagle. I was offered a position at science hill for a significiant raise in pay. I would have never left independence except that i wanted to go to a school where football was going to be important. Coach Eubanks was my defensive coordinator and friend and was a great replacement for what i thought would be a team that could go along way in the playoffs. I have no idea of what has happened the last few years but with mr. campbell and coach dyson they will find someone who will be successful.

You are exactly right about the hoops the teachers/coaches have to jump through in WCS. WCS has lost a few GOOD coaches to Rutherford County due to the emphasis they seem to put on athletics.

Not that it really matters, but Webb hired Eubanks to be head coach when Smith left but not to teach. Eubanks had been an asst coach under Smith. He was head coach one year out of building. One of the first things Campbell did when he started was to bring Eubanks into the building.

Independence football coach Scott Smith announced January 9 that he would leave IHS for a full-time coaching position at Science Hill High School in Johnson City, Tenn.

“They called me out of the blue, and from that point on things got more and more serious,” says Smith. “Happening as quickly as it did was really a surprise.”

Smith cited a better salary and a lower cost of living among his reasons for accepting the new position.