Gallatin vs Canton McKinley Ohio opening game 2010

GWAVE1

Not really. Gallatin is 5A in TN. Remember that our classification system is watered down, also. TN has no business having 6 classes. OH has 742 teams playing high school football with 6 divisions, which seems appropriate to me. TN has 336 teams playing and they have 6 classes. TN should be no higher than 4A based on those facts. Gallatin would probably be placed in Division II in OH and would be, MAYBE, a top 20-25 team. So, McKinley(a Division I team) should've beaten Gallatin the way they did. So, to retort, I would have to say that Galltin has NOT been a powerhouse in TN the last few years. The powerhouse teams have been Maryville, MUS, MBA, BA, Oakland, and usually Riverdale. Of course, our best team has been Alcoa, which is a small school powerhouse that is similar to a team like Youngstown Mooney. Mooney is Division III, if I'm not mistaken, and I think it would be safe to say they could hang, if not beat, any of the Division I teams in OH. Would you agree with that?

On another subject, I was kind of surprised Good Counsel beat St. X yesterday. I didn't see that one coming, especially after St. X manhandled DeMatha a few years ago. Also, I see Moeller came back to beat a good Wayne team(Mckinley's next opponent, right?)

I wholeheartedly agree there are too many divisions in Tn. The cutoff for DivI(biggest, with 120 schools in division)in Ohio is 518 boys grades 9-12, which puts every 5A school in TN in that Division. Ohio divisional breakdowns The big difference between states besides population, is that there are no county schools. I should clarify that while Gallatin hasn't necessarily been on top in 5A, they have done better than McKinley has in Ohio over the last few years at the least, been more of a contender so to speak.

Mooney and Alcoa need to play each other....period. They not only beat up Ohio DI schools, they do the same to other states' top teams on a fairly regular basis. This preseason, they scrimmaged both Cleveland Glenville(47 DI players the last 6 yrs), and St. Ignatius(10 titles), and beat them both. The most physical team in Ohio every year.

I was not surprised at the St X game at all, as they have a new qb(1st varsity game and it showed, with last years' qb at Notre Dame) recievers and entire secondary, and an average rb. Their defense has always been among the best in the nation, keeping them in every game, but offense has always lacked to an extent. I noticed at the start of the game 3 or 4 sophmores start, and that is a sure sign they are down this year, with an incredible roster of 340 players(they field two freshman squads of 60). What surprised me was the lack of conditioning by X. they are in for a long year in my opinion, with one of the toughest schedules in the nation once again.If they even make the playoffs this year, it will be by the skin of their teeth as a lower seed.

Moeller's coach needs to bottle whatever he did to those boys at halftime, as they came out a completely different team, and shut down Braxton Miller, while stuffing the ball right down Waynes' throat. Miller has sick skills, unlike I have ever seen by a qb. He made Moeller's tacklers look silly in the 1st half, with 200 yds rushing. In my opinion, he is a better prospect than Terrel Pryor by far. Much more elusive and a better pure passer than TP at this stage in his career. Just needs more help, as there is not much offensive talent around him, and he's trying to do too much. Was a great game to watch. Braxton and Wayne's offense vs McKinleys' defense is going to be a great game to watch next Sunday.

Edited by jlmac4

I wholeheartedly agree there are too many divisions in Tn. The cutoff for DivI(biggest, with 120 schools in division)in Ohio is 518 boys grades 9-12, which puts every 5A school in TN in that Division. Ohio divisional breakdowns The big difference between states besides population, is that there are no county schools. I should clarify that while Gallatin hasn't necessarily been on top in 5A, they have done better than McKinley has in Ohio over the last few years at the least, been more of a contender so to speak.

Mooney and Alcoa need to play each other....period. They not only beat up Ohio DI schools, they do the same to other states' top teams on a fairly regular basis. This preseason, they scrimmaged both Cleveland Glenville(47 DI players the last 6 yrs), and St. Ignatius(10 titles), and beat them both. The most physical team in Ohio every year.

I was not surprised at the St X game at all, as they have a new qb(1st varsity game and it showed, with last years' qb at Notre Dame) recievers and entire secondary, and an average rb. Their defense has always been among the best in the nation, keeping them in every game, but offense has always lacked to an extent. I noticed at the start of the game 3 or 4 sophmores start, and that is a sure sign they are down this year, with an incredible roster of 340 players(they field two freshman squads of 60). What surprised me was the lack of conditioning by X. they are in for a long year in my opinion, with one of the toughest schedules in the nation once again.If they even make the playoffs this year, it will be by the skin of their teeth as a lower seed.

Moeller's coach needs to bottle whatever he did to those boys at halftime, as they came out a completely different team, and shut down Braxton Miller, while stuffing the ball right down Waynes' throat. Miller has sick skills, unlike I have ever seen by a qb. He made Moeller's tacklers look silly in the 1st half, with 200 yds rushing. In my opinion, he is a better prospect than Terrel Pryor by far. Much more elusive and a better pure passer than TP at this stage in his career. Just needs more help, as there is not much offensive talent around him, and he's trying to do too much. Was a great game to watch. Braxton and Wayne's offense vs McKinleys' defense is going to be a great game to watch next Sunday.

Hey jlmac and OmahaVol! I just wanted to reach out and say thankyou for your insightful posts and knollege of the High School game! Really enjoy reading both of your posts and really appreciate you both! I wish Alcoa and Mooney would play each other! Would be a great game to see! Thanks again guys! :thumb:

Edited by warhawks

Hey jlmac and OmahaVol! I just wanted to reach out and say thankyou for your insightful posts and knollege of the High School game! Really enjoy reading both of your posts and really appreciate you both! I wish Alcoa and Mooney would play each other! Would be a great game to see! Thanks again guys! :thumb:

Thanks a ton warhawks. Although you all well know by now, my heart is still up north, but I love TN football also. Heck, h.s. football anywhere. I really enjoy the forum also, as it's fairly civil, and loaded with great fans such as yourself. Boy, you're right about a Mooney/Alcoa matchup. Would be the best Ohio/TN matchup ever by far in my book(unless someone can talk Maryville into carpooling up with them to face Glenville or Colerain, lol).

Edited by jlmac4

These matchups would be great exposure for the schools and states. The only problem, if I remember correctly, Ohio schools cannot travel further than a bordering state. Most schools don't want to travel that far if the favor can't be returned.

Those matchups would be great to see. I would come to Cincinnati for that. Alcoa/Mooney and Maryville/Glenville(or Colerain, Moeller, St. X, or Elder) is something we need to get started. Jlmac, you gotta hype it up for Herbstreit on jjhuddle. I agree with you, greenmachine, that it isn't very fair not to get a return trip from those teams, but, man, it would be great to see those games. Riverdale is traveling up to Louisville to take on St. X next year. That will be another good one.

Warhawks, thanks for the comments. I love getting on boards like these and discussing high school football with all the knowedgeable fans out there. I do more blogging on the national boards, though(rivals, USA Today, etc.) CoachT's site is great.

I would also like to see TN teams take on some of the Georgia and Alabama teams. Hoover, Lowndes County, Valdosta just to name a few. I think more teams should do what Gallatin and Riverdale are doing and try to schedule one big game that's a good distance away and actually challenge their team rather than play a cupcake non-district schedule like some of the other 7-AAA teams are doing.

I would also like to see TN teams take on some of the Georgia and Alabama teams. Hoover, Lowndes County, Valdosta just to name a few. I think more teams should do what Gallatin and Riverdale are doing and try to schedule one big game that's a good distance away and actually challenge their team rather than play a cupcake non-district schedule like some of the other 7-AAA teams are doing.

How bout you send Gallatin into 7-AAA for a season and see how they fare. I dont blame teams within 7-AAA at all for going a little lighter on their schedule. The playoff system doesnt reward teams for manning up on their schedule, so why do it when that is the ultimate goal, other than a state championship? Blackman has gotten a lot of crap for their schedule the last few years, but its not like they beat up on weaklings and nobody else, they won 7-AAA last year.

Those matchups would be great to see. I would come to Cincinnati for that. Alcoa/Mooney and Maryville/Glenville(or Colerain, Moeller, St. X, or Elder) is something we need to get started. Jlmac, you gotta hype it up for Herbstreit on jjhuddle. I agree with you, greenmachine, that it isn't very fair not to get a return trip from those teams, but, man, it would be great to see those games. Riverdale is traveling up to Louisville to take on St. X next year. That will be another good one.

Warhawks, thanks for the comments. I love getting on boards like these and discussing high school football with all the knowedgeable fans out there. I do more blogging on the national boards, though(rivals, USA Today, etc.) CoachT's site is great.

Believe me, I have been in contact with the people at Herbie for the last 3 yrs on these specific matchups, but as I stated in another thread, straight from one of the organizers is that Maryville had been contacted by them 2 or 3 yrs ago, and they "couldn't make it happen". I was not given a reson, so maybe someone in the know from Maryville can elaborate on that. I also agree with biggreen machine that it isn't exactly fair to not get a return trip, but OHSAA doesn't give leeway on missed school time. Although last year, somehow Mansfield, Cin LaSalle and Trotwood Madison played at the Herbie in Texas. Why they were looked at, and how they were allowed to travel there is beyond me, as they were nothing more than cannon fodder for the Texas teams to beat up on and not representative of Ohio contenders. I think that was the week before school started for these programs. I do know this though, they will pay big bucks for these schools to travel for this event, as Dwyer, Fla is getting paid 30,000 to play Glenville this weekend. That covers air fare and hotel, meals with a little left over, which makes it more than worthwhile to me, return trip or not.

Glenville vs Dwyer

How bout you send Gallatin into 7-AAA for a season and see how they fare. I dont blame teams within 7-AAA at all for going a little lighter on their schedule. The playoff system doesnt reward teams for manning up on their schedule, so why do it when that is the ultimate goal, other than a state championship? Blackman has gotten a lot of crap for their schedule the last few years, but its not like they beat up on weaklings and nobody else, they won 7-AAA last year.

I do not agree with the 7-AAA cupcake comment at all. Riverdale/Hendersonville, Smyrna/Brentwood, LaVergne/Hendersonville and Brentwood, Smyrna/Ensworth, Oakland/Ensworth, Riverdale/Farragut. 7-AAA is a tough district within itself as well.

I also think Gallatin would not do as badly as you insinuate in 7-AAA. Gallatin scrimmaged Riverdale, Smyrna, and Blackman, and while only scrimmages held their own in all three. Gallatin routinely used to play Oakland and Riverdale. They were in the same district with LaVergne and Smyrna. Gallatin would hold their own with those teams. Not only that but your district would be considered better if they were in it.

I never said all 7-AAA teams have a cupcake non-district schedule. In a perfect world, if all the 7-AAA teams played a tougher schedule it would level the playing field and elevate that district from one of the best in the state to the best in the state. But please don't take my previous post as a knock on your district, just a way to make it even better.

I do not agree with the 7-AAA cupcake comment at all. Riverdale/Hendersonville, Smyrna/Brentwood, LaVergne/Hendersonville and Brentwood, Smyrna/Ensworth, Oakland/Ensworth, Riverdale/Farragut. 7-AAA is a tough district within itself as well.

I also think Gallatin would not do as badly as you insinuate in 7-AAA. Gallatin scrimmaged Riverdale, Smyrna, and Blackman, and while only scrimmages held their own in all three. Gallatin routinely used to play Oakland and Riverdale. They were in the same district with LaVergne and Smyrna. Gallatin would hold their own with those teams. Not only that but your district would be considered better if they were in it.

I never said all 7-AAA teams have a cupcake non-district schedule. In a perfect world, if all the 7-AAA teams played a tougher schedule it would level the playing field and elevate that district from one of the best in the state to the best in the state. But please don't take my previous post as a knock on your district, just a way to make it even better.

I dont think Gallatin would do that bad, but I dont think they would be playing their current schedule if they did. I dont know if 7-AAA could really be that much better, 4 teams in the top 11 is pretty hard to beat.