Teams at the Ryan Tournament?

NashvilleRef

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he did stop it, but was getting upset with the whole "shoe coming off thing" that he waited until there was no longer an advantage to Johnson, then stopped it. And threw the shoe to (at) the coach and said "tell him, if it comes off one more time, it will be a point". At this point is when Hooker said his shoulder was hurting. The coach turns to the young lady sitting next to him on the floor, and said "I'm not going out there for that, that's crap" (I assume regarding Hooker's arm being hurt). Then after a few minutes got up, and while helping Hooker tie his shoes and having to put tape on them to make sure they don't come untied again (which would have cost him that match) he was getting all up in Hooker's face. But at this point, I couldn't hear exactly what was being said.

Most definately threw at by the looks of it... and if one uses a questionable (illeagal) tactic enough that he is known for it. Action should be taken to stop it. Great wrestler, bad move.

Don't know the rule that well, but was told this is suppose to be called "unsportsman like conduct" and a point awarded

I would like to compliment whomever the tournament organizers were this year. Last year the was a lot

of coachT complaints about the FR kids getting all or most of their prelim. matches in front of the FR crowd. RF roping off a reserved section last year didn't sit well with a lot of people, which frankly I had to agree with after these things were pointed out to me by wrestlers, not parents or coaches.

This year, none of that took place, and I thought a great showing of integrity on FR part to make the tournament not to seem so much like a home field advantage. Their kids wrestled randomly on various mats like all the other schools as best as I could tell, and they didn't rope off a reserved section. FR fans knew were the finals were going to be, and tended to congregate in that area, but it was not reserved.

The only negative thing, from my perspective was all the FR fans sitting is the aisles in front of the finals

mat. It was so bad, there wasn't even an aisle, and people would not move and try to find a seat like everyone else, when there were seats available. I felt it rude and inconsiderate, and a tremendous safety issue that hopefully will be addressed by next year. In the vast scheme of the tournament it's a small issue in my mind, and I thought the tournament organizers made a great improvement over last years tournament.

In addition, I thought they did a great job of compressing the tournament into one day due to the weather. Most definitely a a long day, but I think FR did a great job given the difficult task associated

with the weather.

Good Job FR

I would like to compliment whomever the tournament organizers were this year. Last year the was a lot

of coachT complaints about the FR kids getting all or most of their prelim. matches in front of the FR crowd. RF roping off a reserved section last year didn't sit well with a lot of people, which frankly I had to agree with after these things were pointed out to me by wrestlers, not parents or coaches.

This year, none of that took place, and I thought a great showing of integrity on FR part to make the tournament not to seem so much like a home field advantage. Their kids wrestled randomly on various mats like all the other schools as best as I could tell, and they didn't rope off a reserved section. FR fans knew were the finals were going to be, and tended to congregate in that area, but it was not reserved.

The only negative thing, from my perspective was all the FR fans sitting is the aisles in front of the finals

mat. It was so bad, there wasn't even an aisle, and people would not move and try to find a seat like everyone else, when there were seats available. I felt it rude and inconsiderate, and a tremendous safety issue that hopefully will be addressed by next year. In the vast scheme of the tournament it's a small issue in my mind, and I thought the tournament organizers made a great improvement over last years tournament.

In addition, I thought they did a great job of compressing the tournament into one day due to the weather. Most definitely a a long day, but I think FR did a great job given the difficult task associated

with the weather.

Good Job FR

agree on issues listed above.

now to just get the officiating up to the same level, and things would be good. But until this happens, I can see why some teams may not come to this tournament again.

Having been a TSSAA high school wrestling referee for over 5 years I don't like to say much about officiating. There are good calls and bad calls and you have to teach your wrestlers to work through these. It is just a part of the sport and generally any sport. This past weekend at FR was particularly challenging as certain referees just didn't protect the wrestlers. There were also constant warnings when points should have been awarded. The head butt situation by the McCallie wrestler was unfortunate. If it was intentional it reflects poorly. In any case, there should have been a point awarded and the wrestler DQ'd. Take a strong stance and make the right call, even if you take heat from a respected coach, is still the right thing to do and sends the right message to everyone. If you can't make that call, then you don't need to be officiating.

There was a similar situation in a 3rd place match with a wrestler being head scissored four times in the final round. The wrestler caught in the illegal hold still won and the match wasn't that close, but the wrestler's health was at stake and that will get parents, coaches and casual observers upset at you. I don't buy the excuse, "I didn't see it"--that's your job to see things happening on that mat.

Final issue and we have debated this one in the past, is the appearance of nepotism or lack of impartiality that exists. There may not be a way to cure this given what appears to be a lack of experienced and qualified officials in middle TN, but it is still a problem. In one finals match, Dad (the coach) is appealing to his Brother-in-Law (the second referee) about a call for his son/referee's nephew. I know all of these people involved and understand that they will make the right call regardless, but if you're from another school and don't know these individuals, you don't get the same view. To make the situation even stranger the other wrestler, was also related to all of these people, obviously even his opponent...lol. There were a lot of other officials in the gym that could have called the match. Also if you're a graduate of a school, you should not officiate your school's matches. I never did, it just gives the wrong appearance.

Overall, the tournament was very well run. FR did an outstanding job given the challenges of the weather, etc. to make this a great event with some tremendous competition. A huge "thank you" to the people in the background, the table workers, coaches and all those responsible for making this a great weekend!

It would be nice if they got all the Ryan supporters back in the stands. There were several right along the ropes next to the mat. It wouldn't be an issue but with what some of them are yelling it really has no business in the gym much less right next to the mat. Screaming "you suck" and "get him off the mat" really reflects poorly on them. Most kids aren't accustomed to being yelled at like that, other than their coach of course.

SheHateMe2 - for some reason, the Ryan faithful are slow to the keyboard today. They probably still have a hangover from the "secret sauce" served in the hospitalilty room.

The behavior of the Ryan faithful at the Ryan tournament is a VERY sensitive subject. Since the Ryan faithful are absent, I will take the liberty of responding for In Hoc Signo Vinces, MWR, and cbq concerning the behavior of their fans.

Crawl in your hole.....crawl out of your hole.....crawl in your hole

Your son must have be whipped by a Ryan wrestler

Your team must have been beaten by Ryan

What's wrong with screaming "you suck" to a kid wrestling against Ryan?

You must have been whipped by Pat Simpson

Get on your meds.....get off your meds.....what are you smoking?

You are stupid.....you can not spell.....you are an idiot

Did you ever wrestle?

Your son's match must have been reffed by a Simpson

What's wrong with screaming "you suck" to a kid wrestling against Ryan?