Middleton Gym Temperature

TitanicVol

I recently attended a district basketball gym at Middleton for the 1st time. As I walked into the gym, I immediately found it difficult to breathe due to the stifling heat.

I have spoken with spectators for different teams who have attended games there in the past few years and they seem to believe that Middleton keeps the temperature turned high as a 'competitive advantage.' One gentleman told me that he had actually a) asked an administrator to turn down the heat (adm refused), and :thumb: later saw someone (not from Middleton) turn it down only to have the Middleton administration turn it BACK UP.

If it is NOT being done for a competitive advantage, someone at Middleton needs to have their heating system checked out. There is no reason a gym should have to be that hot.

If it IS being done for a competitive advantage, I am a) shocked & saddened, as Middleton has very good teams who do not need to cheat to win, and :thumb: hopeful that a student athlete is not injured or overcome by heat exhaustion at some point.

Another individual with whom I spoke brought up the fact that TSSAA is so worried about whether uniforms are tucked in or what types of things girls wear in their hair that you would think they'd have some sort of "safe" temperature range in a gym.

Anyone else experienced this or have any input?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I'm not even sure where Middleton is, I obviously don't have a dog in the hunt.

That said, how could it be a competitive advantage? Wouldn't the home team have to play in the same heat as the visiting team? That's just silly. :thumb:

Considering Middleton practices in it everyday of the school year I think they might be used to the heat. Sayin that that is a huge competitive advantage over the visiting team who is used to normal safer playing conditions.

Since I'm not even sure where Middleton is, I obviously don't have a dog in the hunt.

That said, how could it be a competitive advantage? Wouldn't the home team have to play in the same heat as the visiting team? That's just silly. :thumb:

Considering Middleton practices in it everyday of the school year I think they might be used to the heat. Sayin that that is a huge competitive advantage over the visiting team who is used to normal safer playing conditions.

So, wouldn't that mean that Middleton would be at a competitive disadvantage when they go on the road, then? Why would a coach want to put his team in that position, and wouldn't boys and girls coaches both have to be in on the "conspiracy"?

That's just not reasonable to believe.

I have never been to Middleton. In fact I couldn't even tell you where it is. However, a school in my area has done the same thing. I was at a game in that environment 2 years ago and it was miserable. It finally stopped after several complaints reached Central Office. The home team was practicing with the heat turned WAY up so they could get used to playing in it. That is where the competitive advantage comes in. This is a low class attempt at getting some home wins.

this has to be one of the most ludicrous threads i have ever seen. to think that middleton would purposefully do something of this stature to gain an advantage? i think the countless victories and 3 state championships won at home and on the road prove that it is no advantage. sounds like sour grapes to me....find anything to bad mouth their basketball teams for doing well this season.