Memphis Dandy Dozen

HOOPSGURU

Jones is a much more explosive scorer, but just as a pure play-maker for his team, Durham has no comparison. I'm kind of shocked that a player with Durham's mentality even exists in 2010

Your talk of Durham reminds me somewhat of former Ridgeway PG, Jordan Mincy.

Mincy was the unmistakable leader of that 2004-2005 State Championship Ridgeway team, his Senior year. He was the ultimate Floor-General! With him on the floor, Ridgway's offense ran like a well-oiled machine. Whenever he was out of the game, RW sputtered big-time! His poise, vision, presence and overall performance made all of his teammates better and much more efficient..... He shot the ball only when the situation dictated. Yet, whenever he did-- it was usually a timely high-percentage shot.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree about Black putting on that muscle. Last year, I thought he was a little on the soft side, but that's maybe because I'm a old-school type of person. This year, I don't even recognize him. He's a BEAST. Coach Henning should be better than that, but I'll stay out of it from now :ph34r:

Your talk of Durham reminds me somewhat of former Ridgeway PG, Jordan Mincy.

Mincy was the unmistakable leader of that 2004-2005 State Championship Ridgeway team, his Senior year. He was the ultimate Floor-General! With him on the floor, Ridgway's offense ran like a well-oiled machine. Whenever he was out of the game, RW sputtered big-time! His poise, vision, presence and overall performance made all of his teammates better and much more efficient..... He shot the ball only when the situation dictated. Yet, whenever he did-- it was usually a timely high-percentage shot.

Yeah Mincy is about as close a comparison as u can get. There just aren't many PG's who are that good and at the same time that unselfish

Just saw some highlights of Durham on the Memphis Select site, so you should check that out Trader. Overall your diagnosis of Paige in those two situations is on point.

As for the reason for Black not getting many touches, I know exactly what you're talking about. Henning was pushing him HEAVILY towards Marquette a team who isn't really ideal for a highly ranked big man. Disses Marquette and Henning and stays home, I don't think the Coach liked it at all, but he gives him just enough touches to be effective somewhat. He'll need more than 15 against Southwind, because their guards CAN compete with Ridgeway's.

Cool. I'll check Durham out...

As for Black and that whole Marquette thing....that's very interesting. Personally, I'm elated that he chose to stay home and represent the Memphis Tigers! I honestly believe that Tarik will develop into an excellent low-post scorer for the Tigers, by his 2nd or 3rd year.... I love his jump-hook, btw. That's a very rare shot for a kid at this level.

As for now, Tarik Black and Ridgeway will obviously have their hands full with Southwind and its depth and talent....It should be a very, very good game.

I read some VERY positive comments about Southwind's team, from their undefeated stint in the recently concluded Memphis-Atlanta BB Classic. Many unbiased observers tabbed Southwind, not the also-undefeated (there) Ridgeway as the most impressive team that played...That speaks volumes about Southwind's squad!

I made the drive down there to watch it thinking it'd be a great game. Well, it was a great game for Ridgeway. Outside of Jackson, White Station is an average Memphis team in my opinion. Ridgeway has a very good team. Much better than I expected. The guards for Ridgeway are extremely good and after you throw in Tarik in the mix, they have a great team. Tarik completely dominated the second half of the game. I agree with the person that said he needs to touch the ball more. After watching tonights game, I don't believe I'll make the drive down for the Melrose/White Station game.

Anyone have a guess at how many people White Station's gym holds? That place was packed out....

I'm starting to think the Melrose and White Station game won't live up to the expectations. Nino Johnson and Marvin Williams ARE NOT getting it done. Point Blank. Joe is great, but White Station is NOT. I think the Spartans get alot more pub and respect due to Jackson. They also are not a very good defensive team. Ridgeway takes on Southwind next Tuesday.

The Jaguars are a MUCH better rebounding team due to their depth, and length. They also play much better defense than White Station. They are skinny on the inside, but they have that type of attitude now that they lacked last year. On the perimeter is where this team is so good. Darious Paige, Nick Mason, Darrian Gray, and Montez Phifer all will be playing D1 ball.

The keys for Southwind will be to make this game guard orientated, and play their up tempo style while playing sound defense. Darrian Gray has been putting up 20 points for about 5 or 6 straight games! Darious Paige is an unheralded PG in the 2011 class. Mason is one of the best shooters in the city, and Montez is one of those guards who does just about everything for a team. Consider him like an A.J. Price or Jerome Dyson.

For Ridgeway I believe, they'll have to continue their hot shooting, but also make this more of an inside game. With J3 out, Tarik Black must have a monster game! He'll have at least 40 pounds on the starting Southwind frontline. Their guards must also be able to match the input of not only the 4 guards just mentioned, but also the guys coming off the bench. Cam Golden and Marterrance Brock have been the catalyst for this very impressive Ridgeway squad.

In the end I think Southwind's versatility with all 5 guys being able to put it on the floor and their sound defensive effort will be JUST enough to score a big win.

Southwind 71, Ridgeway 69!

Ok...For some reason, peeps forget that ridgeway won the state championship just 2 years ago, made it to semis 3 years ago......the team that won the championship consisted of a group seniors and sophomores, well those sophomores are now seniors, I say this to say that the shock is overated! Before the 2 wins against white station this year, the last team to beat them was....yes, for the district title last year with the same core of players.......As far as the southwind game goes, someone mentioned small ball, well black didnt get much justice from the refs at all last year and ridgeway played southwind in most occasions with him being in foul trouble....which turned into a game of....guard ball....check the out come of each match last year.......Same core of players returning.............

Not sure what games you saw, but Black had some very good games against Southwind and they actually had some depth on the frontline last year. Now its just Black and Brandon Lewis. Also Southwind, went about 6 deep last year? Darrian Gray played the 4 last year as well, not to mention Ridgeway was a much more experienced team and they only beat Southwind by 1 and 6 I believe, so I don't really follow that logic. Because if we used the same logic White Station should've beaten Ridgeway this year right? They only lost Patrick Coleman and Ferrakhon. Thats just following your logic. Also what happened in the past really doesn't matter especially 2 years ago. Southwind matches up a whole lot better with Ridgeway than White Station does.

Basically this is a different year, and both lineups are VERY different even with J3 being injured. Less Depth on the frontline for Ridgeway, but with explosive guards. More height and length for Southwind, along with their explosive guards. If you don't think Black will need to be some sort of factor on Tuesday then you're crazy honestly.

No, ridgeway graduated 4 seniors last year.....only 1 played consistently....James Hampton...The rest of the players whom contributed to last years squad returned! So no white station no way should have won the game, they lost more through graduation than they had returning as far as contributors......As far as the southwind thing, black did spend a great deal of time in foul trouble which forced ridgeway to play an all guard game that supposedly works in southwinds favor....plus the so called experience factor, nothing has changed, as southwind gains so called experience, so does the kids from ridgeway, they are the same age and have played these players each year in the past leading up to tuesdays game.......they southwind kids were juniors last year, well so were the returning ridgeway kids, the southwind kids are seniors now, well so are the ridgeway kids.....so if there is any experience advantage factor, it has to be the experience in taking L's....That's the logic! but anyway....I didnt say at all he didn't need to be a factor, Im saying these are the exact same kids that played the previous games. I'm missing the point in what makes their team the juggernaut this year. Black is much needed but after watching saturday's game against white station, peeps underestimate ridgeway as a 'TEAM'

You're not making sense! You talk about core players, but White Station lost two! Ridgeway lost 4 right? So with your logic of the same group of players means White Station should've owned Ridgeway. With your logic thats how it should've been. Now you can tell me this doesn't matter, because they were playing small ball last year, but it really does. Do you honestly believe Darrian Gray is a Power Forward? Walter Davis a center? How many players did Southwind use off the bench? 2! Basing this year(Especially predictions) off last year is foolish. Look at White Station. They might be the third best team in their district. Nobody is underestimating Ridgeway my friend, they are Nationally ranked, but its clear that this is a good matchup for Southwind!

Darious Paige, Darrian Gray, Montez Phifer, Nick Mason, Darius Paige vs. Darryl Marshall, Cameron Golden, Marterrance Brock, Correion Pereson(sp?), and Kris Brewer! Should be a great match up of back courts.

P.S. The kid Matt who is now at Pine Bluff, Cordero Macklin, and Hampton all played big minutes my guy, and Cam Golden received no where near as many minutes as he should've last year.