Spring Hill Raiders

classof80

Are you refering to Coach Buford Gladney? He didn't have heart issues, but he did have emergency surgery for a brain aneurysm in 1992 and was pretty much forced to retire after that. He did fully recover from the surgery and is living in Columbia now. He has been to many Spring Hill games in the past several seasons and loves to help out when he's asked... As far as "Papa" Wade, i'm not sure what he's up to. Pretty sure he lives in Spring Hill. Need to ask someone that knows him. Don't know if there's anyone on here that does though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you refering to Coach Buford Gladney? He didn't have heart issues, but he did have emergency surgery for a brain aneurysm in 1992 and was pretty much forced to retire after that. He did fully recover from the surgery and is living in Columbia now. He has been to many Spring Hill games in the past several seasons and loves to help out when he's asked... As far as "Papa" Wade, i'm not sure what he's up to. Pretty sure he lives in Spring Hill. Need to ask someone that knows him. Don't know if there's anyone on here that does though.

Yes. That was the coach. I thought it was something with his heart though. Didn't know it was an aneurysm. Didn't one of his assistant coaches take over and coach? I do remember when Spring Hill could hold their own with the big AA schools and even some AAA schools. The last thing I remember about Papa Wade was that he went to Miss. State for a year or so then got into trouble by having some kids break into the school. Kind of a sad deal to have that happen to someone who was a Mr. Football and a legend during their time.

Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know where Papa Wade lives but I did see him last year at our scrimmage vs Brentwood Acad. I was told he has a son that plays there. I hope the weather allows our visit to Maury Co to take place on Friday. Best of Luck to you guys for a great and Healthy season!! See Ya Friday..Go Pats!