Emmanuel Andrews

Wildcats5454

Basketball officials or officials of any sport, from Little League on up to the pros, are subjected to taunting, harassment, ridiculed and called many names most of the time. Its a good thing that they don't retaliate like some individuals that play the different sports. Like my father said, "If you dance, you have pay the fiddler".

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basketball programs at both Lawrence County and Shelbyville have been placed on probation for two years, effective immediately, with a fine of $500 each year. The probationary period does not affect postseason play of either team.

The administration of Lawrence County High School identified the students involved in the altercation. These students were disciplined by the Lawrence County High School administration. They have been banned from attending athletic contests involving its school for the remainder of the basketball season.

Taunting is a fact of the game. every fan of every team does it. tThat EA got so upset by it is very disturbing. You have the guy admitting to the taunting and what was said to him. That he CHOSE to enter the stands is what got him the suspension. Players can not do that. When he entered te stands, that eliminates the equation of happening on the court. On the court is a 2 game---off the court opens another set of guideline sby which to punish. If they eyewitness who started teh entire episode gives his stement and admits to what he was doing and that the player did infact come into the stands, then that will carry more credence than a fan who saw the entire thing from a distance that says the player was provoked. the most interesting part of this whole story is that Coach Clark kept his team in teh locker room until parents came to get them. That is what a coach is supposed to do in these situations--kudos to him. As for the SCHS coach--the suspension for him is the result of not controlling his players and allowing them to enter the stands.

The SCHS coach was just trying to get himself and his players into their lockerroom through a mob of fans. I can't think of one coach that would "allow" their players to enter the stands. The two game suspension for him has nothing to do with what happened after the game. It was for two technicals. Get the facts straight before criticizing. Thanks and have a good day.

Ok for days now I have read all the posts of this event. I am an LCHS players father and fan. When all this dust settles the facts may be clear or may not. There were 3 factors that caused this ruckus. #1 was that coach KT did not keep his composure and stay true to his resposibilities and duties as a head coach. #2 was the LCHS students who ran across the floor was only fuel for disaster. #3 was the location of the cheeleadrers and students for the visiting team is crazy and has caused a couple of prior problems b4, even though they were small (both were a few yrs ago, Columbia & LCHS). If you honestly weigh the facts then you have to see that these 3 topics are the cause.

Now to EA & the other 2 players. It is a shame that you have to learn such a hard life lesson at such young ages. You 3 boys at some point had to have learned either at church or school or at home that punching other kids would draw punishment. So this is no surprise to receive punishment. My hope is that this can just be a great rival to look forward to every year and the fans can act right and lets just get back to playing ball. Thanks.

mjuhb (Joe) Please stick to soccer. You were not at the LCHS vs. SCHS game, nor were you at the SCHS vs. Tullahoma game. Your opinion does not matter whether you are for or against either teams.

no i was not there and thank god i wasn't and my opinion does matter

whats done is done accept the punishment and go on

emmanuel needs help to repent this situation for his future

i think the teachers and staff at shelbyville can do that and the shelbyville fans still in denial will not help that effort

some observations:

1) much of these sort of problems trickle down from the negative influence of professional sports. the pros try to convince the fans they are "part of the game" to justify the outrageous ticket prices. fan behavior at pro venues is just poor sportsmanship. at hs venues it is potential trouble.

2) on our staff, when games get "intense" we distribute ourselves among the players in the handshake line, and all the way to the locker room... especially when we have to pass thru the other team's students. i thought that was standard operating procedure.

3) at our games it seems like the officials shoot off the floor & into their locker room immediately upon the final buzzer. there is no confronting the officials unless you want to wait for them to come out after most people are gone. why were the officials still out there?

4) or maybe i know the answer to #3. one of the officials at that game certainly seems to be involved in an inordinate number of coach ejections, technicals, confrontations, and general trouble. does tssaa ever give any thought to weeding out officials who are unable to maintain control (over the game or themselves)?

5) the comments that the lchs SRO was in "his" version of a uniform. that does not sound like a uniform. at our school we understand that, if we are at a game not on the bench, or in some sort of real uniform, in the event of trouble breaking out we are to stay in our seats (ok, or leaning on the wall). maybe we do have authority, but to everyone else we just become another adult jumping into the fray. if the SRO wants to act in an official capacity at the game, he (or she) ought to wear a real uniform to the game.

6) praise to whit taylor & the schs administration for taking what has to be an unpopular action. a real man does the right thing, even when it is not popular, and taylor has always shown himself to be a real man.

7) i havent heard anything negative about ea prior to this. i hope this painful lesson will make him a stronger person, and wish him only success in the future.

8) this just reinforces how sorry the tssaa was last year, to allow "mr basketball's" team to continue to play after their incident following game one of the state tourney.

im either a lawrenceburg or shelbyville fan nor do i care what side you are on

but in my opinion both schools should be banned from the postseason

I am a fan of neither also, but I do not get where the Lawrence County team should be banned from post season play when that team, along with its coaches, were in the locker room when the altercation took place. I would also say it would not be right to ban Shelbyville from post season play due to the actions of a couple players on the team. I would equate this to the Tennessee men's basketball program being banned from play due to 4 players being arrested. That would be absurd.......and this is coming from a Kentucky fan who truly doesn't like UT.