District 14a Tourneys

west15

Congrats to Lake Co. You guys played a great game. The refs did not call a bad game, but they did let them play a physical style and that plays into Lake Co's hand. Greenfield missed some wide open shots early. Also, I thought that Greenfield did a good job on T.T. I think she only had about 10 points or so. Greenfield just got beat tonight.

Lady Jackets, don't hold your heads down. That game was for bragging rights only. The 1 or 2 seed is not that big of a deal. Hopefully we will meet Lake Co again.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Lake Co. You guys played a great game. The refs did not call a bad game, but they did let them play a physical style and that plays into Lake Co's hand. Greenfield missed some wide open shots early. Also, I thought that Greenfield did a good job on T.T. I think she only had about 10 points or so. Greenfield just got beat tonight.

Lady Jackets, don't hold your heads down. That game was for bragging rights only. The 1 or 2 seed is not that big of a deal. Hopefully we will meet Lake Co again.

I'd have to say it was a big deal...Greenfield now gets a possible do-or-die region semi game against Gleason...

The best awards of the night were not district champions or runner up or mvp or all district......best awards were to those seniors who made academic all american!!!!!!!!!! To play athletics and keep a cumalative grade of 93 or better is outstanding.......LC had 2 out of 3 seniors get this award......and the third was just a couple points off......Also the rest of the team has top notch grades as well....LC doesnt just have outstanding female "athletes"......they have outstanding female basketball players, students, and young people with great character!!!!!!!! I can only hope my daughters, and son grow up to be these kind of of young persons!!!!! Congrats to all the girls from 14a who got this award!!!!!!

sbl

All the talk about the MVP.If it was for the tournament.could have gone to Combs,Wallsmith,o rHubbard.

Bradford and Humboldt had a great game.As for T.T.She has been great all year.It's not all about the points.She was the fastest girl on the floor and her ball handling and setting othe rpeople up is what makes Lake Co go.I said before the game that I thought the speed of Lake Co would be the difference..That Katie would have trouble getting her shot off against the quicker Falcons.Jordan hit a couple early buckets but she had trouble with Lake Co's speed also..I also said Greenfield hasnt seen Mariah Matthews shoot like she can.She hit some long three's tonight.That's what I've been seeing and that's why Bradford played a box on her the other night.If she is on..Lake Co is tough to beat.The speed and defense of Lake Co can keep them in a game if the offense isnt clicking like it should.T.T. did a couple spin moves and croos over dribbles that no girl on the floor can do..The officials let them play tonight..also let them play in the Humboldt-Bradford game..As for favoring Lake Co..dont see why ..other than T.T. being on the floor.I would think Greenfield is the more physical team..Just that Lake Co can use their spedd to really get in the face and makes it tough.Like I said about the officiating..let the best players for both teams stay on the floor..Naturally if T.T. picks up 3 fouls like she did with the first official calling the game at Grenfield and calling her for 3 charges in about 1 quarter..will be tough to win.I dont think she charged one time tonight.She either shot a layup or dished it off.Congrats to Lake Co on the win..And to Greenfield also..Hopefully we'll meet again..Greenfield has a tough task probably with Gleason ..could be Bradford..But if Humboldt plays and shoots ike they did tonight..Things could get interesting..I'm still hoping for a Greenfield-Lake Co region final.As long as Lake Co gets there..want to win to hopefully make it easier and stay home..but I'll say again..even the loser of the region,whether it be Lake Co.,Greenfield,Gleason,Humboldt or Bradford..I'd like their chances.!

HUMBOLDT PLAYED A GREAT GAME TONIGHT. HUBBARD WAS TOUCHED BY THE 3 ANGLE. KING PLAYED A GREAT GAME. BUT THE SURPRISE OF THE NIGHT WAS COMBS TAKING THE OPEN SHOT. SHE HAD 21 AT THE HALF. THEN SHE ONLY TOOK 5 SHOTS THE SECOND HALF. COMBS ONLY SCORED 7 OR 8 THE SECOND HALF. BUT WALSMITH PICKED UP THE SLACK AND ENDED UP WITH ABOUT 28 GIVE OR TAKE A POINT. THE OFFENSE IS BASED AROUND WALSMITH AND COMBS. THE LAST TWO GAMES THESE TWO HAVE SCORED OVER 80% OF THE POINTS. I FEEL BRADFORD IS PICKING UP THE PACE AND TEAMS NEED TO BEWARE. GOOD LUCK TO ALL 14A TEAMS. :thumb::thumb::D

Again..Congrats to Combs,Wallsmith from Bradford and to Hubbard and King from Humboldt..You ladies put on a show tonight..If Combs comes to play like that and helps Molly out..they can beat some teams.Street is very quick and the big girl down low does a good job..Just not a lot of depth..But an excellent game tonight.Maybe Bradford is getting it together again.!And Combs looked like she couldnt stand up..Like to fell at the free throw lane..I believe she was sick on the sideline..But great game.!

I'd have to say it was a big deal...Greenfield now gets a possible do-or-die region semi game against Gleason...

Gleason has to beat Bradford first which will be a HUGE task for Gleason. After watching Bradford tonight against Humboldt, I'd have to say the favorite is Bradford over Gleason. Even though Bradford lost, they still impressed me. They don't look like a team with a 15-12 record. Gleason and Bradford split during the regular season, however Bradford seems to be picking it up a tad. They need Street, Combs, and Wallsmith to pull the load which all 3 are capable of doing so.

Greenfield has no need to sweat over this loss. Lake Co. played an awesome game tonight and just hit their shots whereas Greenfield struggled with Lake Co.'s pressure and turned the ball over too much. Greenfield and Gleason also split during the regular season, however I feel Greenfield is a better team. It'll depend on how Greenfield takes this loss whether they can make it past that semi-final game. They can either learn from it or drag their heads about it, time will tell.

Good Luck to the 14A teams in the Region tournament.

Gleason has to beat Bradford first which will be a HUGE task for Gleason. After watching Bradford tonight against Humboldt, I'd have to say the favorite is Bradford over Gleason. Even though Bradford lost, they still impressed me. They don't look like a team with a 15-12 record. Gleason and Bradford split during the regular season, however Bradford seems to be picking it up a tad. They need Street, Combs, and Wallsmith to pull the load which all 3 are capable of doing so.

Greenfield has no need to sweat over this loss. Lake Co. played an awesome game tonight and just hit their shots whereas Greenfield struggled with Lake Co.'s pressure and turned the ball over too much. Greenfield and Gleason also split during the regular season, however I feel Greenfield is a better team. It'll depend on how Greenfield takes this loss whether they can make it past that semi-final game. They can either learn from it or drag their heads about it, time will tell.

Good Luck to the 14A teams in the Region tournament.

Yeah, I understand all that....I'm not ready to give a team that is 5-8 since Jan.1 a nod over a team that is 13-1 over the same span because they played good in a LOSS to Humboldt...Gleason, although they did lose to Bradford early, beat Bradford 51-41 after the new year...We can talk schedules all we want...Bradford has the stronger schedule, no argument there...Gleason is playing the teams it has to and they are winning....I think people justifying a loss by minimizing a 25-2 Gleason team is making a mistake...Greenfield's and Gleason's history of playing each other clearly favors Gleason, although the Lady Jackets are the blemish on Gleason's schedule the last half of the season...Playing Gleason in a win or pick up the softball bats game is not something anybody wants to do and is wayyy different than a regular season game....

Congrats Lake Co.A well deserved win.I have been to most of the games this year and maybe don't know as much as Bigsters and some of the others but looks like he called it.The speed of the Lake Co girls kept the Gailey girl and especially #24 from even getting a shot.This game wasn't as close as the score indicates.Lake Co led just about the whole second half by over 20 points.I believe had a 24 point lead at one time.Missed several free throws and layups from Carnation that would have made it much worse.I believe Lake Co was up by 18 when the Coach from Greenfield waved the flag.Then one of their subs made a 3 pointer and rimmed in a 2 pointer while Shasta made a two for Lake Co.Greenfield is very good but at least on this night,the speed of Lake Co was just too much.And looks like Bigster was right.If Mariah is hitting then Lake Co is a lot better.Congrats to both teams.Still a long way to go.Congrats to T.T. for being named MVP.She deserved it .She was great all year.If the girl from Humboldt and Wallsmith played last night during the year,could have went to maybe them as well.They both were fun to watch.!

Good luck to all the teams in the 14a tourneys tonight. Ready to see two good games and look at the local talent. It's loaded in this district. My pick for MVP would be Galey from Greenfield. I think Flowers and Wallsmith are excellent players as well, but for me Jordan Galey is deserving. Not only CAN she play every position on the floor, but DOES so almost every game at some point. Just a very versitile athlete. Didn't know about her playing baseball long ago. Flowers is unstoppable as well as Galey..they can only be contained. They only stop themselves with foul trouble or poor shooting nights which happens to players from time to time. I do know that Galey leads her team in scoring, rebounding, steals, and freethrow %. I'm sure Flowers and Wallsmiths credentials are impressive as well. Three excellent and deserving players. Too bad there can't be three MVPs ! Anyway, great job to all three of you girls and your respective teams. District 14a is the best district in west and middle tennessee in my opinion.

I will agree with you about Gailey shooting free throws.She is accurate and can tell she knows how to play.But she isn't as good as T.T. or Wallsmith.!She couldn't get a shot off against the quicker Lake Co girls.!

If you're talking about the MVP of the tourney, then it really could depend on today's games. Wallsmith and TT are two of the choices, but the way Jordan Galey from Greenfield has been playing in the tourney, she could be the tourney MVP. But, a lot will depend on todays games.

I'm not so much interested in MVP's, as much as I am wins. Greenfield plays team ball...with every girl playing her role on the team. I like that.

Looked like to me that Lake Co plays team ball.I've seen them against Dyersburg and Greenfield and they are impressive.Against Dyersburg they put on a show.The Flowers girl was the best player and athlete on the floor last night.!

The reason I don't think it was a big deal is: 1. I think that Lake Co. and Greenfield are the two best teams in the region and therefore I like their chances of meeting again, and 2. I don't think Gleason will beat Bradford. As a matter of fact, I think Greenfield would handle Gleason better than Bradford.