Seven Teenagers Chasing a Perfect Season

bbb

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above mentioned wrestlers are tough and have had great seasons. However, going undefeated has as much to do with the teams schedule as anything. What great out of state competition have these young men faced this season. Have they wrestled a schedule like Baylor where they have faced Brandon, Collins Hill or some of the top teams in the USA @ The Clash? Other than maybe Cameron Croy I don't see any of these undefeated athletes wrestling Baylor's schedule and not having a minium of one loss.

Maybe you need to take the chip off your shoulder. The article was not intended to, nor does it, bash Baylor or anyone else with a loss. It simply recognizes these young men for what they have accomplished. You should have stopped typing after, ....great seasons.

Where does he claim that the article bashes Baylor?? He actually brings up a valid point. After all, I can remember Doug Blubaugh at a wrestling clinic a few years back saying that at almost 70 years old, he was still learning new wrestling and there is always someone out there who can beat you, thus making you a better wrestler.

Great points CBG, part of the job of a TN high school wrestling coach is to get his guys to the best tournaments, so they can face the best competition. It can not be disputed that the upper tier teams in D-II (Father Ryan, Baylor, CBHS, McCallie) do this, but even though D-I guys may have to wrestle more locally in season (do to budget restraints or whatever it may be) their coaches are not in control of the number and quality of matches they are able to get in the offseason (which is why guys like Cameron Croy and Blake Thomas are as successful as they are).

Coach Knepper, NHSCA Sophmore National Tournament is a good national tourney, with good competition, it is not comparable with NHSCA Jr. or Sr. tourneys, or Fargo, where more often than not the brackets are loaded with 64 + wrestlers, not to take anything away from Kennedy, but this tournament is simply not as loaded as the other ones. Perhaps he will win the Jr. form of the tourney next year (which would be great for TN, I think Kelly Felix won Jr. nationals his year)

GHouse, is Mr. Bauke not undefeated, if not where was this loss at and who to (obviously a stud)?

In Hoc,

Daniel Baucke has one loss this year to the young wrestler from Collins Hill at the Cleveland Duals who's name escapes me at the moment. Baucke was hoping for a rematch the next weekend at the KCI Toshiba Midwest Classic. Unfortunately, that wasn't meant to be as Baucke went on to win the tournament (a feat in itself) where the wrestler from Collins Hill didn't hold up his bargain and ended up finishing somewhere around 5th (I can't look it up to check where I am). From my viewpoint, Baucke wrestled a bad match at the wrong time and dropped a match to a good wrestler, this happens sometimes and is part of what makes an undefeated season impressive when you have faced solid competition. I am fairly sure that the loss still bothers him a little, esp since he didn't get a chance to avenge it. However, as many have stated we (as coaches) would rather see those levels of competition and take our losses before the state tournament. He has a state tournament to get through now and a college career to look forward to and that is what I know most around him are most proud of!

I also tend to agree on winning / placing at the underclassman nationals. It is impressive and a good feather in your cap but especially at the upper weights that field is much tougher when you add in the upper classmen. Take nothing away from the guys that have done it, like Kennedy who is still showing his capabilities in TN, but much tougher when multiple grades are in the mix (Fargo, Fila Juniors & Cadets, etc.).

Cbg,

Not sure I am sold on FloNationals yet, going to have to wait until they have it at least once. I personally hope that it proves to be what it is billed as but time will tell. Tournaments like junior and senior nationals do not seem to be quite what they have in the past but they are still very good (esp. seniors). I think this is due to the preponderance of national level tournaments available out there now.

When Tom Brands, John Smith, Tom Ryan & Cael Sanderson throw their support towards Flonationals which tournament do you feel the best kids are going to attend? When the tournament director is going to be Bill Barger (Ironman Tournament Director) you can bet the farm that Flo nationals will be a first class event.

Great points CBG, part of the job of a TN high school wrestling coach is to get his guys to the best tournaments, so they can face the best competition. It can not be disputed that the upper tier teams in D-II (Father Ryan, Baylor, CBHS, McCallie) do this, but even though D-I guys may have to wrestle more locally in season (do to budget restraints or whatever it may be) their coaches are not in control of the number and quality of matches they are able to get in the offseason (which is why guys like Cameron Croy and Blake Thomas are as successful as they are).

Coach Knepper, NHSCA Sophmore National Tournament is a good national tourney, with good competition, it is not comparable with NHSCA Jr. or Sr. tourneys, or Fargo, where more often than not the brackets are loaded with 64 + wrestlers, not to take anything away from Kennedy, but this tournament is simply not as loaded as the other ones. Perhaps he will win the Jr. form of the tourney next year (which would be great for TN, I think Kelly Felix won Jr. nationals his year)

GHouse, is Mr. Bauke not undefeated, if not where was this loss at and who to (obviously a stud)?

In Hoc,

Daniel Baucke has one loss this year to the young wrestler from Collins Hill at the Cleveland Duals who's name escapes me at the moment. Baucke was hoping for a rematch the next weekend at the KCI Toshiba Midwest Classic. Unfortunately, that wasn't meant to be as Baucke went on to win the tournament (a feat in itself) where the wrestler from Collins Hill didn't hold up his bargain and ended up finishing somewhere around 5th (I can't look it up to check where I am). From my viewpoint, Baucke wrestled a bad match at the wrong time and dropped a match to a good wrestler, this happens sometimes and is part of what makes an undefeated season impressive when you have faced solid competition. I am fairly sure that the loss still bothers him a little, esp since he didn't get a chance to avenge it. However, as many have stated we (as coaches) would rather see those levels of competition and take our losses before the state tournament. He has a state tournament to get through now and a college career to look forward to and that is what I know most around him are most proud of!

I also tend to agree on winning / placing at the underclassman nationals. It is impressive and a good feather in your cap but especially at the upper weights that field is much tougher when you add in the upper classmen. Take nothing away from the guys that have done it, like Kennedy who is still showing his capabilities in TN, but much tougher when multiple grades are in the mix (Fargo, Fila Juniors & Cadets, etc.).

Cbg,

Not sure I am sold on FloNationals yet, going to have to wait until they have it at least once. I personally hope that it proves to be what it is billed as but time will tell. Tournaments like junior and senior nationals do not seem to be quite what they have in the past but they are still very good (esp. seniors). I think this is due to the preponderance of national level tournaments available out there now.

When Tom Brands, John Smith, Tom Ryan & Cael Sanderson throw their support towards Flonationals which tournament do you feel the best kids are going to attend? When the tournament director is going to be Bill Barger (Ironman Tournament Director) you can bet the farm that Flo nationals will be a first class event.

cbg,

I have seen and heard the same interviews as you have. Once again I will state that I hope the FloNationals turn out to be everything we all hope they are. That being said, I am not going to throw my hat behind one tournament being superior to others when the event hasn't even been held once yet, no matter who the tournament director will be. You have to have it once for it to be true.

This is an attitude that is killing this sport. If you do not always wrestle the perceived best

then you are not really accomplished. No one said that any of these kids are the very best

they are undefeated they beat everyone that has been put in front of them. That is great accomplishment

what else could they have done, all of these young men should feel good as should there

parents, coaches, teams and there schools. Congrats guys and way to represent yourselves

in our great sport. :thumb: